Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Another day and another round of " Bash the Obama" game.

The CBO identifies an aging population ( baby boomers) as the primary reason for increased SS disability, not politics or new policies:

Social Security Disability Enrollment Rising Due To Demographic Trends, Not Obama 'Slavery' Plot: CBO

As an aside but related, the historical majority of Section 8 vouchers are used by seniors. This gorup is also heavily dependent upon SNAP benefits. The number of people 65 or older increased 15% between 2000-2010. 10,000 people began to turn 65, each day begining in 2011. This is projected to continue for the next 2 decades.

Darn shame Obama allowed those born between 1946-1964 to age, eh.
These figures are proof of how expensive it is to live, I am having problems supporting myself on my pension and working part time. I am not old enough to collect SS and am not disabled, at least from my point of view, so as long as I can put my feet on the ground, I will continue to work and not take the easy road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Again, it is not easy to qualify. Those that do have it easy are those who are terminal. I've said this dozens of times before it is not easy to qualify for SSDI and it takes years for most and most are denied hourly. This constant denial is part of the venting processes and works very well. All your ducks need to be in order over a period of years and those ducks involve several professional people to back the patient up. It is a stressful procedure.
Quote:
If people are receiving SSDI because of mild BS mental issues then I'm against it 100%.
If they can and are employable---they should be DENIED.

Many claim they know for a fact a person is not disabled because................. they do not look disabled. One thing I've learned is looks are extremely deceiving.
With this I agree, mild mental issues, especially treatable ones, in my mind, do not disqualify one from working, most are lazy bums with too much time on their hands and end up getting in trouble. I know of several. Most are drunks or/and druggies!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I know plenty of people including myself who are willing to work fast food, retail and other menial jobs but there is too much competition and the hiring process is a crap shoot. All I have is a G.E.D. diploma. You'd think I wouldn't have a problem getting said fast food job. But guess what? I can't get the fast food job! The people who are getting the job over me are people who know the manager, elderly people, or people with master degrees. It's the same for all the other jobs.

Hence why I say....starting from the bottom doesn't exist. For me, it really doesn't.

1980s PSA: "Get a high school diploma or a G.E.D. and say, Yes You Can!

modern version: take some methamphetamine or PCP and say, Yes You Can!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
The liberals have this theory that putting more people on welfare handouts and food stamps will help the economy grow.

All it accomplishes is more people will be put on welfare handouts and food stamps and the debt will raise several more trillion.

Anti-poverty programs are not working, our poverty class is growing at a much faster rate than our productive middle class. We have more poor people than ever -- and all the liberals want to do is bring in millions more impoverished people with Obama's big amnesty.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I know plenty of people including myself who are willing to work fast food, retail and other menial jobs but there is too much competition and the hiring process is a crap shoot. All I have is a G.E.D. diploma. You'd think I wouldn't have a problem getting said fast food job. But guess what? I can't get the fast food job! The people who are getting the job over me are people who know the manager, elderly people, or people with master degrees. It's the same for all the other jobs.

Hence why I say....starting from the bottom doesn't exist. For me, it really doesn't.
Tell you what...Pick a fast food restaurant, go introduce yourself to the manager. Fill out an application. Then for the next three weeks show up every morning at 8 am. Eventually, someone isn't going to show up and the manager is going to be so impressed with your tenacity that he is going to offer you the job. Lots and lots of jobs happen because you are at the right place at the right time, and if you make it your business to be there when it happens, you will get the job.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-09-2013, 09:22 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Do you know how hard it was for me to get SSI benefits for my disability? I had to hire a lawyer and it took years. And yes I want to work, but I don't have enough job history or friends in low places to get even a menial job.

So I am lucky I can live off SSI while I go to college and train for a good job. Hopefully when I'm out of school there will be a job I can go into and I won't be stuck living off benefits or just hoping I can find a burger flipping job.

Food stamps yes, are easy to get. But it's still only about $150-$200 a month, it's paltry compared to what the poor in most first world countries get.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Only an idiot would be surprised when the population grows that the number of people on disability grow as well.
No, the rate of increase in these programs indicate people are taking advantage of them, far in excess of what physical problems would cause.

Isn't it obvious that as our leaders encourage us to stay home and suck up the public dole, those of us who work like slaves but lose the fruits of our labor to government will eventually get fed up? In my entire life, I have never heard so many working class people voice their disgust, and say: "Forget it, let someone else lose their lives so I can sit at home and enjoy life." And not only can't I blame them, I'm joining the new Galt Masses. Enjoy your Welfare society when nobody produces anything and government just keeps printing worthless papers they call dollars. The bets are not IF if collapses, but WHEN.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Another day and another round of " Bash the Obama" game.

The CBO identifies an aging population ( baby boomers) as the primary reason for increased SS disability, not politics or new policies:

Social Security Disability Enrollment Rising Due To Demographic Trends, Not Obama 'Slavery' Plot: CBO

As an aside but related, the historical majority of Section 8 vouchers are used by seniors. This gorup is also heavily dependent upon SNAP benefits. The number of people 65 or older increased 15% between 2000-2010. 10,000 people began to turn 65, each day begining in 2011. This is projected to continue for the next 2 decades.

Darn shame Obama allowed those born between 1946-1964 to age, eh.
Well, let's see. You're saying current conditions and policies are the primary reason for these problems. Republicans wanted to reform those policies, and Obama and the Democrats do not. So therefore your own argument has just proven that bashing Obama for the current problems is valid. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Do you know how hard it was for me to get SSI benefits for my disability? I had to hire a lawyer and it took years. And yes I want to work, but I don't have enough job history or friends in low places to get even a menial job.

So I am lucky I can live off SSI while I go to college and train for a good job. Hopefully when I'm out of school there will be a job I can go into and I won't be stuck living off benefits or just hoping I can find a burger flipping job.

Food stamps yes, are easy to get. But it's still only about $150-$200 a month, it's paltry compared to what the poor in most first world countries get.
When I was in college, I worked 40-55 hours a week and I bought my own food. I came out of college debt free, welfare handouts free and a good job history.

The way it's going, you should make sure your major is in social work so you can get a job handing out welfare checks and food stamps.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When I was in college, I worked 40-55 hours a week and I bought my own food. I came out of college debt free, welfare handouts free and a good job history.

The way it's going, you should make sure your major is in social work so you can get a job handing out welfare checks and food stamps.
Nobody should have to work 55 hours a week. That's what, 10/11 hours a day assuming weekends are off? How much sleep did you get, like 4 hours a night? That can't be good for your health.

There's no way I could focus on college and do that at the same time. I would kill myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies