Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Thousands do get turned down every week, however if they obtain an attorney and appeal, there is a 98 percent chance they will succeed, as long as the claimant heeds the advice of the attorney. Depression and anxiety are now the most common ailment that people are being granted SSDI. Just a matter of being treated and medicated for either of those. My neighbor has anxiety and takes 1.5mg of Adivent daily. She takes before bed, but it pretty much keeps her drowsy most of the next day and can not work because of it.
Not in my state. 60% of appeals are turned down, not 2%. I know because I am in the process of applying for disability right now and researched how to go about it, including the appeals process should my claim fall into the 70% that get initially denied.

It is true that more and more claims are being put in for "soft" illnesses but that's not necessarily evidence of fraud. I think it is merely an overdue recognition that you don't need to be blind or crippled to be unable to work effectively.

I have no doubt that fraud does exist but having personal experience with what I had to go through to file my claim, I really don't think it is all that prevalent. I had to provide a LOT of supporting documentation just to get my application going.

One area that I do have problems with, however, is handicapped parking permits. I was shocked at how easily I got it. It was a one page application with one doctor's signature and that's it. I do think that process should be quite a bit more strict. I often find all the handicapped spaces filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Rental property is business property. Tenants do not "indirectly pay" for HOA fees, insurance or taxes, unless it's called for in the lease.
You are saying that taxes on business are NOT passed on to the consumer?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this line of thinking.

The landlord has to pay taxes on a property regardless of whether there is a tenant or not, and regardless of how much rent the tenant pays. The tenant pays for the use of the property, only.

Rental property is business property. Tenants do not "indirectly pay" for HOA fees, insurance or taxes, unless it's called for in the lease.
If a rent does not cover the cost of the property that is not the fault of a renter, now is it? A smart landlord figures of all of these fees into the cost of the unit, no?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Not in my state. 60% of appeals are turned down, not 2%. I know because I am in the process of applying for disability right now and researched how to go about it, including the appeals process should my claim fall into the 70% that get initially denied.

It is true that more and more claims are being put in for "soft" illnesses but that's not necessarily evidence of fraud. I think it is merely an overdue recognition that you don't need to be blind or crippled to be unable to work effectively.

I have no doubt that fraud does exist but having personal experience with what I had to go through to file my claim, I really don't think it is all that prevalent. I had to provide a LOT of supporting documentation just to get my application going.

One area that I do have problems with, however, is handicapped parking permits. I was shocked at how easily I got it. It was a one page application with one doctor's signature and that's it. I do think that process should be quite a bit more strict. I often find all the handicapped spaces filled.
Those 60 percent I gaurentee you are not getting legal representation. First of all by Federal Law attorneys only get compensated if they win the case. Their fee is 25 percent of the first (retroactive) check with a cap of 6000.00. Attornies are not going to represent someone who feels their is case is not winnable. I know several people that went through the process and evetually won. It can take up to 3 years. Lawyers who specialize in SSDI are a dime a dozen so they have to be doing pretty well.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Quote:
Thousands do get turned down every week, however if they obtain an attorney and appeal, there is a 98 percent chance they will succeed, as long as the claimant heeds the advice of the attorney. Depression and anxiety are now the most common ailment that people are being granted SSDI. Just a matter of being treated and medicated for either of those. My neighbor has anxiety and takes 1.5mg of Adivent daily. She takes before bed, but it pretty much keeps her drowsy most of the next day and can not work because of it.

that's why i don't take medication. i like working out and finding natural alternatives than to choke down those pills with crazy side effects. i hope your friend is alright.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
That sounds like a lousy life. I'm sure there are better ways of dealing with anxiety than being drugged out 24/7.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
that's why i don't take medication. i like working out and finding natural alternatives than to choke down those pills with crazy side effects. i hope your friend is alright.
She went though a period of having major panic attacks. So bad several times went to the ER thinking she was having a heart attack. She is in therapy and taking more long term drugs but when she tries to stop the Adivent she gets really bad. Sure there is an addiction at this point.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Hmmm,,

Start with major changes in the laws during the Reagan administration (that allowed more people with mental disabilities and musculoskeletal problems to qualify)
Not true.

The standard since Day 1 when SSDI became law in 1959 was "Substantial Gainful Activity."

Do yourself a favor and go to Social Security's web-site and read every stinking word.

Qualifying...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Disability benefits are most certainly abused. I would surmise that disability is abused in much higher numbers than AFDC or other types of aid.

It's despicable and should be prosecuted when discovered-- The problem is it's ethereal and difficult to prove.
No, it isn't. I used to bust people all the time for insurance fraud or worker's compensation fraud. It's not difficult at all.

Some woman in Hillsboro, Ohio called me a NAZI in court once. She was fraudulently drawing worker's compensation benefits -- so she could run her tax-free business in Indiana. Ohio seized all of her assets including her home. And I don't mean they put a lien on her home either...I mean Highland County sheriff's deputies showed up with a seizure warrant and forcibly evicted her. They literally threw her out in the street....no problem as she ended up at the woman's correctional facility anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Only you know whether or not you are truly in pain.
Wrong answer.

I mentioned this on another thread...what we used to call the "Liar's Machine." They hook you up to the machine, ask you if you're in pain, and you had best not lie, because they'll know.

I used to watch it. It's pretty neat. It has audio capability too. You can actually "hear" pain.

At least 10%-12% of the people on SSDI are committing fraud. I guarantee it. SSA needs to start investigating claims.

Statistically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
SSDI is not a handout. In order to collect SSDI, you need to have worked for a number of years paying into the system to qualify. 10+ years.
Nope, it's pro-rated based on age. If you are 24 years, you need 1.5 years (6 quarters) of work credits.

Quote:
The amount you get goes by what you paid in,...
Are you just making this stuff up?

Neither disability nor retirement benefits have anything to do with the amount you paid it.

It is strictly based on your average monthly earnings --- and yes if you have months where you earned $0 because you did not work, that will count against you.

Quote:
usually $1500 a month.
WTF?

Some facts about SSDI from the Social Security Administration.

Profile of Disabled-Worker Beneficiaries
• Workers accounted for the largest share of disabled beneficiaries (87.5 percent).
• Average age was 53.
• Men represented under 53 percent.
• Mental disorders was the diagnosis for about a third.
• Average monthly benefit received was $1,110.50.
• Supplemental Security Income payments were another source of income for about 1 out of 8.

You can find that information here...

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statc...1/di_asr11.pdf

...in this very informative report. It breaks it down by age, gender and disability.

Concerning the issue of Mental Disorders and their being 1/3 of all disabilities, women have an higher percentage of "mood disorders" than men, especially women under age 35. Of all disabled women under 35 years, 25.1% suffer from "mood disorders" and that is the greatest cause of disability in that age group.

For women 35-49 years, only 18.9% suffer from a "mood disorder." The greatest disability for this age group (of women) is musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders, affecting 30.2%

That report prepared using your tax dollars has lots of neat tables breaking down SSDI beneficiaries, by State, gender, age group and Diagnosis.

You might want to read it.

Informing...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
These type of posts are evidence that the conservative argument for smaller government has been crushed a long time ago.
No, it actually proves Conservatives are correct, and that Liberal thinking is fundamentally flawed.

Quote:
Not one conservative will get on tv or on this board and say that they are against sending checks to the disabled, which is the only conservative argument to make if you truly want a small government.
False. That is a nice Straw Man.

Before we begin this exercise, you might want to know that FDR nationalized 30 existing State retirement/pension programs for State residents into the giant abortion that Social Security is now.

From SSA's documentation, we can see that the average monthly benefit received was $1,110. At the same time, let's look at $400 worth of Food Stamps for a family of four.

And now I will prove mathematically just how mentally disturbed Liberals really are....

We will compare San Fransisco with Cincinnati.

Two people, each receiving $1,100/month in Social Security Disability or Retirement....

equals $2092.95 per month in Cincinnati
equals $761.07. per month in San Fransisco

....due to the differences in Cost-of Living and Purchasing Power.

Does everyone now see just how freaking disturbed Liberals really are?

How can you possibly justify that? That is insane, immoral, unethical, disgusting, perverted.

Two families of four each receving $400/month in Food Stamps except that $400 buys....

$578.13 worth of food in Cincinnati.
$210.23 worth of food in San Fransisco

....due to the differences in Cost-of Living and Purchasing Power.

Again, I ask, how can you possibly justify that? What is it about those people that you hate them so much you're willing to sacrifice them and punish them in the name of your so-called lofty goals?

Demonstrate to me how you justify this gross miscarriage.

You're helping families? No, you're not. You're unjustly rewarding one, while another suffers. I can only hypothesize that Liberals view this kind of injustice as some kind of masturbation fantasy they get off on.

So, tell us again just how wonderful Liberals really are.

Quote:
It is the same argument conservatives make about welfare, food stamps, unemployment benefits, job training programs and on and on and on.
That's right.

And I just proved how righteous and just Conservatives really are.

If States set up and ran their own Social Security, their own disability, Food Stamp, UE Benefits, housing, job training and other programs, then everyone benefits because no one is unjustly rewarded, and simultaneously no one is unjustly deprived.

Like it or not, you are a federal republic, you are not now, nor have you have been, nor will you ever be a nation, so stop trying to crow-bar everyone and everything into the one-size-fits-all stupidity.

What Conservatives want is common sense, justice and a return to a federal government in a federal republic.

What Liberals want is stupidity, perverseness and an all-powerful national government controlling every aspect of your life.

And look how Liberals are willing to make people suffer to achieve their goals.

And for the records....I've posed this issue nearly a half-dozen times to Liberals on other threads.....and not one of them even attempted to answer.

How could they? Their position is weak and they know they're wrong, but that doesn't stop them from letting people suffer needlessly.

Arguing...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
192 months??? So its continually hit a record every month for the last 16 years?! Does CNS news stand for crazy "news" spewer?
Maybe you want to read the Social Security report.

Why?

So can you find out the number of people who get off of Social Security Disability and go back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
A high school education is paid for through PROPERTY TAXES. If you don't own a home, you are getting a free education on the backs of your neighbors who decided to establish roots in the community and buy a home.
That is completely false.

As a renter, not only do you pay property taxes, but you also pay the mortgage insurance, title insurance and liability insurance for the property.

It's built into the cost of your rent, just like the costs of maintaining the property and grounds are built into the price of the rent.

Welcome to the Real World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh. Loans are free now?
In a manner of speaking.....they are dirt cheap because the government artificially sets the interest rate.

Quote:
I don't agree with this line of thinking.
The Laws of Economics have no interest in what you think or believe.

When the landlord purchases rental property, say a four-family unit, you are paying the mortgage, the title insurance, the mortgage insurance, the property insurance, the casualty insurance, the fire insurance, the property taxes, the cost of maintaining the apartment unit, the cost of maintaining the building itself, the cost of maintaining the grounds, the cost of complying with any and all federal, State, county, city/local regulations, laws and ordinances related to multiple occupancy dwellings.....

....and profit for the owner.

The only circumstances where that would not be true, is if rent controls were applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
You are saying that taxes on business are NOT passed on to the consumer?
They don't get it. They think everything is "Freeeeeeeee!"

Anyway.....look at the report linked above.....just as people are approved for disability, there are also people who return to work, voluntarily forfeit disability, or who are kicked off for one reason or another (usually a paperwork glitch).

Amusingly....

Mircea

Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Good luck-the Social Security Administration has been "advised" to not fight disability claims as much-if the person has "proof" he/she is physically or mentally disabled...well they get a free ride. My friend is a lawyer for the SS. And a family member is a paralegal for SS. Both of them is disgusted that people who are clearly faking get disability...

Gotta love the government.
I couldn't agree more. When I was younger I worked for a disability attorney and clearly, for every "legit" disabled person, there were 10 - 20 who were completely able to work but had disabilities like "panic attacks" or "clinical depression" or some similar malarkey.

They ought to start institutionalizing people who are on disability for psychological and mental issues, that would straighten the majority of them up right fast.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM

The dollar amount one qualifies for with SSDI is listed on the yearly statements that are mailed out by SS. At any rate that number is pretty close to the number listed for your full retirement amount based on projected earnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies