Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Those 60 percent I gaurentee you are not getting legal representation. First of all by Federal Law attorneys only get compensated if they win the case. Their fee is 25 percent of the first (retroactive) check with a cap of 6000.00. Attornies are not going to represent someone who feels their is case is not winnable. I know several people that went through the process and evetually won. It can take up to 3 years. Lawyers who specialize in SSDI are a dime a dozen so they have to be doing pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
that's why i don't take medication. i like working out and finding natural alternatives than to choke down those pills with crazy side effects. i hope your friend is alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That sounds like a lousy life. I'm sure there are better ways of dealing with anxiety than being drugged out 24/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
She went though a period of having major panic attacks. So bad several times went to the ER thinking she was having a heart attack. She is in therapy and taking more long term drugs but when she tries to stop the Adivent she gets really bad. Sure there is an addiction at this point.
I hope your friend is able to get better. I agree with seekingcreativity. I deal with depression and anxiety issues as well. Sometimes my panic attacks are pretty scary. But I've chosen not to deal with it using meds. I don't want to be a zombie. When I eat better, engage in productive activities and help others I feel much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I couldn't agree more. When I was younger I worked for a disability attorney and clearly, for every "legit" disabled person, there were 10 - 20 who were completely able to work but had disabilities like "panic attacks" or "clinical depression" or some similar malarkey.

They ought to start institutionalizing people who are on disability for psychological and mental issues, that would straighten the majority of them up right fast.

20yrsinBranson
Panic Attacks are not malarkey. Hope you never get them.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I couldn't agree more. When I was younger I worked for a disability attorney and clearly, for every "legit" disabled person, there were 10 - 20 who were completely able to work but had disabilities like "panic attacks" or "clinical depression" or some similar malarkey.

They ought to start institutionalizing people who are on disability for psychological and mental issues, that would straighten the majority of them up right fast.

20yrsinBranson
And when it didn't, you'd be upset that we have to raise taxes to take care of them.

Or you could come here to Houston where all the disabled people beg for money on every corner.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I hope your friend is able to get better. I agree with seekingcreativity. I deal with depression and anxiety issues as well. Sometimes my panic attacks are pretty scary. But I've chosen not to deal with it using meds. I don't want to be a zombie. When I eat better, engage in productive activities and help others I feel much better.

I feel the same way too. I know there are times where it can get scary. I'm glad I didn't have a gun in the past and even still sometimes in the present. Sometimes I just want to kill myself, I feel nauseous, I want to die, and I develop some sort of pain, can't stop crying, I feel like I'm having a heart attack as well, but it does subside. I don't want to develop a dependency on drugs, I don't want to be a zombie, I don't want to be able to not live life like I want to. I have a daughter that depends on me, so I have to be here on this earth and in my right mind. I find, being able to focus on someone depending on me and also that other people have had it far worse than I have, helps fight off these feelings and negative urges and thinking.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Our Dear Marxist Leader trying make as many as possible dependent on the Gov...

8,830,026: Americans on Disability Hits New Record for 192nd Straight Month | CNS News
You do know (I hope) that 192 months would cover the entire Bush administration too, right?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,343,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Not true.

The standard since Day 1 when SSDI became law in 1959 was "Substantial Gainful Activity."

Do yourself a favor and go to Social Security's web-site and read every stinking word.

Qualifying...

Mircea
I disagree with your statement.

Here is President Reagan's signing statement on the changes........

Statement on Signing the Social Security Disability Benefits Reform Act of 1984 --October 9, 1984

I am pleased to sign into law H.R. 3755, the Social Security Disability Benefits Reform Act of 1984. This legislation, which has been formulated with the support of the administration and passed by unanimous vote in both Houses of Congress, should restore order uniformity, and consensus in the disability program. It maintains our commitment to treat disabled American citizens fairly and humanely while fulfilling our obligation to the Congress and the American taxpayers to administer the disability program effectively.

When I took office on January 20, 1981, my administration inherited the task of implementing the continuing disability reviews required by the 1980 Disability Amendments which had been enacted and signed into law during the previous administration. Soon after the Department of Health and Human Services began the mandatory reviews, we found that trying to implement the new law's requirements within the framework of the old, paper-oriented review process was causing hardships for beneficiaries. Accordingly, back in 1982, the Department began a long series of administrative reforms designed to make the disability review process more humane and people-oriented. These reforms included providing face-to-face meetings between beneficiaries and Social Security Administration (SSA) claims representatives at the very start of the review process.

These initial steps were followed by further important reforms announced by Secretary Heckler in June of 1983, including:

classifying additional beneficiaries as permanently disabled, thus exempting them from the 3-year review;

temporarily exempting from review two-thirds of cases of individuals with mental impairments while the decisionmaking standards were being revised; and

accelerating a top-to-bottom review of disability policies by SSA and appropriate outside experts.

While those June 1983 reforms went a long way towards humanizing the process, by the spring of 1984, it became apparent that legislation was needed to end the debate and confusion over what standard should be used in conducting continuing disability reviews. The administration worked with the Congress to develop this consensus legislation and, in the interim, took the additional step of suspending the periodic disability reviews pending implementation of new disability legislation.

One indication of the complexity of the issues involved is the fact that Congress held more than 40 hearings on the disability review process over a 3-year period before arriving at a consensus on this legislation.

One significant provision of H.R. 3755 is the so-called medical improvement standard that sets forth the criteria SSA must apply when deciding whether a disability beneficiary is still disabled. The standard this new legislation would establish for future determinations will restore the uniformity that is so essential to a nationwide program.

Another provision in H.R. 3755 would extend temporarily the ability of a Social Security disability beneficiary who has decided to appeal a decision that his disability has ended to have benefits continued up to the decision of an administrative law judge. This will prevent undue hardship to beneficiaries who are found on appeal to be still disabled while the new law is being put in place.

In addition, the legislation places a desirable moratorium on reviews to determine whether individuals with mental impairments are still disabled until revised criteria for evaluating these impairments are published. The Department of Health and Human Services has been working with mental health experts on these criteria.

Several other changes are written into this new law that will clarify and expedite the administration of the disability program.

I have asked Secretary Heckler to implement the provisions of this legislation as speedily and as fairly as possible. The Department of Health and Human Services will act promptly in reviewing individual cases so that no disabled beneficiary has to wait any longer than necessary for the proper decision on his or her case.

Here is a link to the related bulletin from the SS Administration: http://199.173.224.108/policy/docs/s...n4/v48n4p5.pdf

And here is the full bill:
Social Security Disability Benefits Reform Act of 1984 (1984; 98th Congress H.R. 3755) - GovTrack.us

Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
I feel the same way too. I know there are times where it can get scary. I'm glad I didn't have a gun in the past and even still sometimes in the present. Sometimes I just want to kill myself, I feel nauseous, I want to die, and I develop some sort of pain, can't stop crying, I feel like I'm having a heart attack as well, but it does subside. I don't want to develop a dependency on drugs, I don't want to be a zombie, I don't want to be able to not live life like I want to. I have a daughter that depends on me, so I have to be here on this earth and in my right mind. I find, being able to focus on someone depending on me and also that other people have had it far worse than I have, helps fight off these feelings and negative urges and thinking.
How is it an illness if you can ward it off with positive thinking?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I so know where you are coming from!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
How is it an illness if you can ward it off with positive thinking?
An illness is primarily defined as "an unhealthy condition of the body or mind". I can ward off a cold by washing my hands. Does that mean a cold isn't really an illness?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
An illness is primarily defined as "an unhealthy condition of the body or mind". I can ward off a cold by washing my hands. Does that mean a cold isn't really an illness?
Not one people should get permanent disability for.

Know how many people wish they could think good thoughts and make their pain and diseases go away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies