Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,311,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And you can spare us all the nonsense of America being more free.

. Get over it.
There are a lot of policies I don't agree with that are in place in the U.S.A but a statement that europe leads the way in personal liberty?, that is just cherry picking certain issues like gay marriage but ignoring other issues about europe that are no where near as free as the U.S.A.

The main thought pattern in europe in part due to centuries of being ruled by monarchy or authority is to obey the state and that the state (collective good) comes before a individual and a individual's rights are correctly trampled on if it serves the greater good of the masses.

In europe democracy (the mob controlling the minority) is often the law. While that happens here also to a certain level we have a bill of rights that limits the majority from doing whatever they want to.

If I speak out against muslims and their laws, in Britain there is a good chance I'll be arrested for "disturbing harmony".

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM

174 posts, read 153,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Gay marriage will come and go.
I'm sure clinging to that gives you a warm fuzzy. Too bad for you there's not a shred of actual ... you know, evidence ... to support it.

Same-sex marriage has been legalized in 10 states, DC, 2 Indian Reservations, 11 entire countries, and parts of 2 other countries.

It has been repealed in precisely 1 jurisdiction (California -- and even that repeal has since been overturned by the courts).

And is there any movement to overturn it in any other states or countries? No. Yet, several states (IL, RI, DE, HI, NJ, MN) are moving towards legalizing it, as well as several other countries (the UK, France, New Zealand, Uruguay, others). All of the movement ... all of it ... is in one direction.

And this has been true for decades:

Same-sex marriage isn't going to 'go' anywhere any more than interracial marriage or universal suffrage were ever going to wane. It is coming and the evidence shows it is coming to stay.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,120,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Britain lawmakers voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday for a bill to legalize same-sex marriage.
The next step is approval by the House of Lords. ( The House of Lords is unable unilaterally to prevent bills passing into law)
Once they review Same sex equality will begin in Britain in 2015. Britain Gay Marriage Bill Supported By Lawmakers

The following countries offer marriage equality:
Netherlands
Belgium
Spain
Canada
South Africa
Norway
Sweden
Portugal
Iceland
Argentina

Let America be the 13th country; it is time as the rest of the world is showing that equality works.
Dont like gay marriage then don't have one. 11 countries have shown that it has had no effect on the so called traditional marriage.

It is time for America to have acceptance of the new normal with marriage equality.
When will you and your significant other be emigrating to one of those countries?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM

769 posts, read 1,002,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When will you and your significant other be emigrating to one of those countries?
Why should they emigrate?

They can just stay here in their home country with their loved ones and continue to stand up and fight for the basic rights that they as American citizens are being (very wrongly) denied. Same-sex marriage will be legal in all 50 states one day soon. If you don't like equal rights for all citizens, perhaps you yourself should be looking into emigration to another country. Might I suggest the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

BTW, great job to the UK!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
What does reproduction have to do with love and companionship? Children are not a requirement for marriage, thus your claims to biology are irrelevant for humans. Homosexuality is quite biological anyway. We both know conservatives are the ones who despise science. Liberals aren't the ones rejecting evolution and a multi-billion year old Earth. Quit being ridiculous.
When I figure out what was the purpose of half of us being one way and the other half the other way I may side with you. Until that time I will just have to keep on siding against you.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
May I suggest anyone from the Deep South refrain from commenting on the social progress of "decline" of anywhere else in the world?

That would br great. Thank you all in advance.
Aha, you really don't believe in the 1st Amendment, do you? I guess you don't mind losing the right to freedom of expression once your people have taken away all the guns. That will be the result you know.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM

174 posts, read 153,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Aha, you really don't believe in the 1st Amendment, do you? I guess you don't mind losing the right to freedom of expression once your people have taken away all the guns. That will be the result you know.
Someone doesn't understand Amendment I all right, and that's you.

Amendment I prohibits government suppression of speech. It does not govern private suggestions of when/how to speak.

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled misunderstanding of the Bill of Rights.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, it won't. Once there, it's there to stay.

Gay marriage isn't going anywhere anymore than universal suffrage "came and went."

But if that's what it will take to help you get through this psychological trauma, go for it. Whatever helps you get through the night... dreaming of a world where the hard fought advancements of western civilization are overturned... would take a rapid descent into another Dark Ages. But I guess that's what you all are hoping and working for anyway, isn't it?
If it does come I guess all we people who don't want it legalized can always move in with the Muslim nations. That may cause them to come after you of the left even harder since there wouldn't be so many to fight them and you know what they think about gays in their religion.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That statement is many times a farce and you know it. What you are doing is cherry picking certain freedoms and then claiming that europe is better but you know as well as I do that America has many freedoms that europe especially Britain doesn't.

Fight back from a attacker in many of these countries and they take YOU to jail for assault. Speak openly on certain things and they take you to jail for "disturbing harmony".

So spare me with your notions about europe being OH SO MUCH freer.
Don't force them to defend the 1st Amendment as an amendment. It would be like their attempts to say they aren't against the 2nd Amendment but want to take away the guns.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Why should they emigrate?

They can just stay here in their home country with their loved ones and continue to stand up and fight for the basic rights that they as American citizens are being (very wrongly) denied. Same-sex marriage will be legal in all 50 states one day soon. If you don't like equal rights for all citizens, perhaps you yourself should be looking into emigration to another country. Might I suggest the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

BTW, great job to the UK!
At least I could get into Saudi Arabia as a dhimmi and most of you arguing about this subject would be stoned once they found out about what kind dhimmis you were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies