Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That's rich! First you cherry pick what you'll answer, ignoring the other points I made.
Your other points aren't valid if I've already proven their premise false.
Quote:
So are you suggesting that merely posting evidence that has linked sources makes them facts?
If it's IRS, St Louis Fed, etc., data, yes. That's what I mean by verifiable proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Police distribution hasn't been studied that much, so I'm not sure how to prove it to you. I don't even know if response times are publicly available. You don't think that that the police in poor neighborhoods receive the same equipment, personal, and resources that the rich do, do you?
I know that my neighborhood doesn't have 56 times more police cars and officers and/or 56 times better equipment than inner-city Chicago.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
All bogus opinion. No verifiable facts. Once again, prove your statements. Quantify those supposedly greater benefits. Enumerate them and cite actual proof that the government benefits and services they receive are commensurate with the federal income taxes they pay, which are multiple times higher than their income differential.
Translation: there is no verifiable proof whatsoever of what you're saying. It's all just your ill-informed opinion.
Everyone is aware of how you "debate."

You pose the same mythical propositions over and over. They're proven wrong by someone. Then you respond (to anything they've said): "Prove it!" If they don't know you well enough already, and go ahead and prove it, you say: "That's not proof. You're full of it. Prove it!" Then they explain they have, and you say: "I thought so, no proof."

ROFL! Carry on. I'll sit here and watch for a while, as you repeat your MO.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
The rich get monstrously more benefits from living in this country and from the government because they use more of the services government provides, and due to the government providing for them more benefits allowing them to remain rich, or become richer. These include services and benefits that the poor and middle class will seldom or likely never use because they don't deal in such expensive properties, goods, benefits, etc.

{snip}
Who are these "rich" anyway? Let's say we have a doctor, who earns $250k a year. What services does the rich doctor enjoy that no one else enjoys?

What about the poor person who is always interacting with the government services thru their social welfare assistance programs? Don't they get monstrously more benefits then the rest of us who only interact with government when we go to the DMV?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
I know that my neighborhood doesn't have 56 times more police cars and officers and/or 56 times better equipment than inner-city Chicago.
Your city might not have a need either.

I never made a claim about police distribution though. I simply said wealthier people have more police and resources than poor people do, but they have more money to spend so it is to be expected. I figured we would be able to stipulate to that much.

Let's say a LEO costs $50K/year. If you have a household paying $700/ year it will take 72 households to pay for 1 officer, but property taxes pay for much more than just police so you will need even more than the 72 houses. On the other hand, the household paying $15K/year only needs 3.3 houses to pay for 1 LEO.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Your other points aren't valid if I've already proven their premise false.
If it's IRS, St Louis Fed, etc., data, yes. That's what I mean by verifiable proof.
Lolz. And where did you prove it was invalid?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Who are these "rich" anyway? Let's say we have a doctor, who earns $250k a year. What services does the rich doctor enjoy that no one else enjoys?

What about the poor person who is always interacting with the government services thru their social welfare assistance programs? Don't they get monstrously more benefits then the rest of us who only interact with government when we go to the DMV?
First define benefits.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Everyone is aware of how you "debate."

You pose the same mythical propositions over and over. They're proven wrong by someone.
They're not mythical, and they're not wrong. Do the math yourself:
Quote:
For purposes of this example, let's assign the top 25-50%'s 6.01% average effective federal income tax rate reported by the IRS to an income of $40,000. The tax paid would be $2,404.

Now let's apply the top 1%'s 23.39% tax rate to an income 14 times higher, $560,000. The tax paid would be $130,984.

130,984/2404 is 54.5. Very darn close to that 14 x 4 multiple of 56 I posted earlier.

The second income earner would indeed be paying nearly 56 times the tax the first earner paid, while earning only 14 times as much.
The IRS data on incomes and effective federal income tax rates:
Latest IRS Federal Income Tax Data

Do you also want me to give you the Census citations for the 3 times higher birth rate of the welfare-dependent compared to everyone else? Just say the word.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
It is actually like that in my city... the wealthy area is mostly a single beat with one car... other areas of the city receives the lion's share of law enforcement expenditures.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Your city might not have a need either.

I never made a claim about police distribution though. I simply said wealthier people have more police and resources than poor people do
But not to the point that those resources are commensurate with the amount and level of taxes paid. Poor areas are heavily subsidized by more affluent areas. It's yet another form of wealth redistribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies