Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times

Advertisements

I heard this news this morning on the NBC Today show. Since Saturday is not a full business day, I think that mail delivery 5 days is enough. BTW, they mentioned packages will still be delivered on Saturdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Makes sense. I don't think many other countries offer such frequent mail service.

USPS' big thing over UPS and FedEx is that they have to serve everybody. People out in the sticks can still get mail.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times
Well when the right makes them fund their pension plan 75 years in advance to try to make them more unstable so they have a reason to shut them down its going to have to cut somewhere.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I wish ALL federal entities and programs would be required to cut the same percentage of costs.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Default Post Office Ending Saturday Delivery

"The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to deliver packages six days a week under a plan aimed at saving about $2 billion annually, the financially struggling agency says. In an announcement scheduled for later Wednesday, the service is expected to say the Saturday mail cutback would begin in August."

Postal Service to cut Saturday mail to trim costs - FederalNewsRadio.com

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think we should just privatize the entire system, and enact laws so that ups and fedex can't charge excessive rates for mail delivery.

Now that I've cancelled my Netflix DVD delivery, the only things I get in the mail is junk mail, and the occasional wedding invitation.

We disbanded the pony express when its time had ended, so......

21st century, its email, text, video chat, etc.
Its not privatizing if there are price controls.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
I actually agree with those who suggest privatization. The USPS is an anomaly as it has not been fully privatized, but many European countries have privatized their postal services. Probably the only thing that Europeans have privatized and Americans have not. When you look at other western countries, the USPS is an anachronism

Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
I think we should just privatize the entire system, and enact laws so that ups and fedex can't charge excessive rates for mail delivery.
Privatizing it would require a constitutional amendment. I suppose it could be amended, but it is a long process.

Quote:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and
Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general
Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be
uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and
with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject
of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the
Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin
of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:

Now that I've cancelled my Netflix DVD delivery, the only things I get in the mail is junk mail, and the occasional wedding invitation.

We disbanded the pony express when its time had ended, so......

21st century, its email, text, video chat, etc.
The problem the post office has is that Congress requires them to WAY over fund their pension program, and then they use it as a piggy bank. Rather than putting restrictions on private companies, Congress should leave the Post Office alone and let them run it. If it wasn't for the pension issue, my understanding is that they'd still be in the black and they absolutely COULD compete with companies like Fed Ex and UPS. They aren't federally subsidized--the Post Office supports itself through its services, or at least they could until the pension issue. I think the real issue is that Congress has done it's best to force the USPS under because of ideology--the R's don't think there should be a federal program vs. private business for mail delivery and shipping. That's great until you live in a rural area where you count on daily delivery and shipping services like the USPS. Why would FedEx or UPS want to do daily delivery out in the boonies? It makes no sense for them, but reduced services would cripple business in rural states.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 AM

524 posts, read 400,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Well when the right makes them fund their pension plan 75 years in advance to try to make them more unstable so they have a reason to shut them down its going to have to cut somewhere.
Funny, three politicians drafted the legislation; Davis, Danny [D-IL7], McHugh, John [R-NY23], Waxman, Henry [D-CA30]. I see you cited a lame duck Republican Congress, however, the Senate had a balance in favor of the Democrats, and they passed the legislation on December 09th, 2006.

It's funny how some people cannot see beyond labels and realize all politicians are the same with marginal differences that are used to divide the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies