Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

I think I noticed one or two other references to rednecks. What do they look like to you and how does this designation add to this discussion?

Mind ya, my neck ain't red, but I sure live in them parts of this US you might call country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
How.... on God's Green Earth.... did this bastard ever get to the position and power to speak to... and control of what is best for this country....?

Oh, that's right. Diebold and redneck America. Sorry, I forgot for a second there.

Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
While I'm no fan of Iran, I'm certainly no fan of attacking a new country while we have 2 wars that are still going and have no point of reference as to what victory should look like. Its as if Bush and Cheney are determined to completely destabilize the middle east and start WW3.

If tricky Dick could just hang on to his shotgun until Iran has its elections, I'm sure they will do a better job. The youth in Iran are its strongest asset, and if we attack the country, their youth will turn against us and vote for someone who wants war with us. Not a good move.

Time to mop up the mess in Iraq and Afghanistan and start bringing back our troops/equipment/ and supplies.
There you go TnBound, making way too much sense and using that logic stuff again... how dare you!

I think the biggest thing people should take from that post is that victory hasn't, isn't, nor will it be defined, until the last days when our troops do leave. I think it is primarily from this that so many people are now against this war and what is most sad is that in Afghanistan where there was most definitely a group of people who attacked us or supported those who attacked us from the onset, have managed to slip away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I think I noticed one or two other references to rednecks. What do they look like to you and how does this designation add to this discussion?

Mind ya, my neck ain't red, but I sure live in them parts of this US you might call country.
Thank the stars I'm no redneck; we hillbillies are far too lazy to get worked up over something like politics. After all, there are cattle to feed and mules to shoe and Archie comics to read. :-)

Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
It must be the Archie comics that have given the hills a bad name.

But to stay on topic, let's talk about the issue: Cheney and Nukes, and not the colour of our necks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Thank the stars I'm no redneck; we hillbillies are far too lazy to get worked up over something like politics. After all, there are cattle to feed and mules to shoe and Archie comics to read. :-)

Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
While I'm no fan of Iran, I'm certainly no fan of attacking a new country while we have 2 wars that are still going and have no point of reference as to what victory should look like. Its as if Bush and Cheney are determined to completely destabilize the middle east and start WW3.

If tricky Dick could just hang on to his shotgun until Iran has its elections, I'm sure they will do a better job. The youth in Iran are its strongest asset, and if we attack the country, their youth will turn against us and vote for someone who wants war with us. Not a good move.

Time to mop up the mess in Iraq and Afghanistan and start bringing back our troops/equipment/ and supplies.
If Iran truly had free elections I would be on board with your sentiments. However, the candidates are screened and selected by the Guardian Council, as discussed in another thread in this Forum. As a result, I don't expect to see the change you anticipate.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Bombing them won't help, though. Other forms of international pressure might.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Bombing them won't help, though. Other forms of international pressure might.
I prefer economic pressure myself, nothing like being hungry and poor to make you reconsider decisions you make in life...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
If Iran truly had free elections I would be on board with your sentiments. However, the candidates are screened and selected by the Guardian Council, as discussed in another thread in this Forum. As a result, I don't expect to see the change you anticipate.
While they may not get to pick their candidates that they vote from, neither do we. All American candidates are run through the corporate elite filter first, then sifted through the media filter second.

What you end up with is we do get to vote for who represents our beliefs best overall, but often we have no one who truly represents most of our beliefs. Our candidates also have the uncanny ability to constantly talk about a handful of old talking points while ignoring the most imminent issues facing our country.

Same thing with Iran, except the Guardian Council is more secretive. But the still produce a variety of candidates. The Iranian people would rally behind a candidate that wanted a war with us should we start attacking them while the rest of the world is still being diplomatic. That would really be a shame if they were to pass up on a more moderate candidate to do so.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:56 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
I prefer economic pressure myself, nothing like being hungry and poor to make you reconsider decisions you make in life...
Or to resent the Hell out of the people responsible for making you hungry and poor. Especially when Average Joe Iranian is a fan of US culture.

I don't think that the Iraqi sanctions accomplished much except to make Average Joe Iraqi miserable, increase the Iraqi mortality rate, and create anti-Western sentiment in the region.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Or to resent the Hell out of the people responsible for making you hungry and poor. Especially when Average Joe Iranian is a fan of US culture.

I don't think that the Iraqi sanctions accomplished much except to make Average Joe Iraqi miserable, increase the Iraqi mortality rate, and create anti-Western sentiment in the region.
And being magnanimous brings gratitude??? I just see the world a bit differently than many posters do.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
And being magnanimous brings gratitude??? I just see the world a bit differently than many posters do.

Actually, I think there are a bunch in your court. I guess I have seen the results of the "Get Tough" approach and am thus far very underwhelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies