Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Strom paid for her education and financially took responsibility for her. He was a different guy to be sure,but also a true patriot who even though was in his 40s served in combat during WW2.
So what? I'd love to dig up his dead body and beat it with a shovel.

I mean, this dirtbag has a black daughter, and he's in the governors office doing everything he can to disenfranchise black people. He gave comfort to all the violent racists in S.C. that terrorized black people during the early civil rights struggles in his state.

So pardon me for not giving a damn about his financial support. That was his DUTY ...he doesn't get brownie points for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Black males today could learn a lot from Strom Thurmond.
Oh really? Like my father who sent 7 of his kids, including myself, to college? No grants, no loans...i left ASU debt free.

Or myself. I just finished sending my son to college and grad school. He finishes with no debts, just like I did.

But you know...I learned that from good ol' Strom.

Most of my white pals in college struggled financially, and had plenty of debt when they finished.

So don't flatter yourself too much.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what? I'd love to dig up his dead body and beat it with a shovel.
Dude....next time warn me....I almost spit my drink up laughing so hard.

Yeah, I don't know what was truly in his heart but i would hope his actions really panged his conscience in his later years....but that's between him and god.

He get's no gold star for doing the minimum for his daughter.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dude....next time warn me....I almost spit my drink up laughing so hard.

Yeah, I don't know what was truly in his heart but i would hope his actions really panged his conscience in his later years....but that's between him and god.

He get's no gold star for doing the minimum for his daughter.
Gawd...he's such a nauseating and disgusting figure in our history.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
You think so? Was there anything close to equal standing in the relationship?

Or, more bluntly, how free do you think she was to say 'no'?

A white woman darkened her skin in the sixties (Just like "Black, Like Me") and worked as a domestic in the south. She was surprised at how often she was sexually harassed by her employers.
Soul Sister (30th Anniversary Edition): Grace Halsell: 9780967401300: Amazon.com: Books

Or, check out "My Secret Life" on sexual exploitation of the household help in Victorian England.
The general consensus in these types of affairs is that management or the employer has coerced the employee to engage in that type of relationship. In regards to a lot women's experiences in the work place, I think this sort of harassment outlined in that book occurs just as often today as it did back then. Heck, I see men low-key hit on women all the time at my work place.

However, I'm specifically refering to Essie May's mother's situation. When this story first broke out, a lot of people were naturally was under the impression that her mother was somehow forced into a sexual relationship--and that's perfectly understandable given the racial pathologies of the south during those times. But from what I can remember, I don't think Essie May ever had any recollection of her mother discussing Strom Thurmond as an abuser of any type, or taking advantage of her at any time. As a matter of fact, I think that her mother thought pretty favorably of him, even to the point that they [clandestinely] kept in contact with one another after the child's birth.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Gawd...he's such a nauseating and disgusting figure in our history.
All the better to occasionally kick the corpse so to speak. The worst thing we can do as individuals and a society is to push stuff like this under the rug. We have to look at the ugly from time to time and learn from it.

I showed my kids a bunch of the banned cartoons you can find on the internet from the 1940's etc. I think some people might learn something by watching cartoons like "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves" to get some perspective on the "good ole days". Especially with younger kids, they just don't get it.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You think ol' Strom gave a damn about that?

lol doesn't matter what he thought--she was half his geneology, whether he wanted to admit that or not.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Her mother was 15. He was 23.

Mutually beneficial?
I think you're looking at it in context of today's level of maturity in these age groups. Back in the 1920's is wasn't unusual at all for someone to be 15 and be considered an adult. A lot of young men and women worked full time in those days at that age, especially in the deep south, which is where Essie's mother and Strom first met.

For the mentality that some people had back then; those two were just considered "adults" to some extent.

EDIT: BTW, according to Wikipedia, she was 16 and he was 22, not 15 and 23.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Black males today could learn a lot from Strom Thurmond.
How to be a hypocrite?

In 1948, the year Ms. Butler died at age 38, Mr. Thurmond, then the governor of South Carolina, ran for president on a segregationist platform.

“All the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes,” he said at the time

Last edited by janelle144; 02-06-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
But from what I can remember, I don't think Essie May ever had any recollection of her mother discussing Strom Thurmond as an abuser of any type, or taking advantage of her at any time.
What good would that have done?

Strom paid for her college education at a state black school, about $400 a year. He made about $18,000 as governor then. So he shelled out 2% of his salary for her? He was unmarried, to, so what did he have to pay for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies