Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yes that's my point. We don't understand how gravity works very well. We do understand evolution for the most part. Thus it makes no sense that people accept gravity, but not evolution. Clearly because of what the association of "evolution" means in religious circles. People can easily assume gravity is real based on objects falling to the ground. Evolution is harder to grasp for the layman.

Gravity doesn't conflict with ancient middle eastern creation myths that "western civilization" clings to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
That would depend on their location relative to Mecca.
It surely would do that, but I really wonder how many of the progs in this thread really know that. I used to see them praying facing south in Italy. Now they are generally pointed east but if they were in India they would generally be pointing north. I wonder if any of them move around a lot and get confused.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM

256 posts, read 207,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
To put it more bluntly: how can one intelligently discuss the development and history of the western civilization of which, like it or not, we are the inheritors, without experiencing the literary, musical, artistic, philosophical, and political movements inspired or heavily influenced by Christianity?
Or are we there already?
You can do that without making kids pray. There is nothing wrong learning what role Christianity had in world history if you're being objective. But public schools are not the place for religious indoctrination.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
You can do that without making kids pray. There is nothing wrong learning what role Christianity had in world history if you're being objective. But public schools are not the place for religious indoctrination.
The proposals I've heard are for moments of silence, not for making kids pray.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Mandated prayer time to be added to the curriculum? Bible studies?

Students are currently allowed to practice their religion, and to pray in their free time. Government employees are not allowed to promote or encourage religion.
They want the Bible to be the text for geography, history, and science classes.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
They want to force their personal choice of religion down everyone elses' throats and they want the tax payers to pay for it all. How about they keep their religion to themselves and pay for it themselves?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
I don't recall saying that they were, nor did I make any claims regarding mandatory school prayers (for the record, I oppose it in public schools). What I did say was that it seems to have done me (and by extension, I would guess many others of my generation) no lasting harm, and instead inspired a lifelong love for learning and the path to a satisfying and relatively lucrative career. Those are positive outcomes -- the kind we want for all of our kids.

Whence this fear of Christian-inspired western literature and art? I think progressives are afraid that the evil Jehovah monster is hiding under their beds.

Very few kids will "catch" spirituality from reading the Song of Solomon, I assure you.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Do a study then......(as for anecdotal evidence, Libs have made a living of this)...... until then go around like a zombie glued to an I Phone like a good conformist
Dude, stop. No, I won't go do a study for something I don't even believe is true. I am not a zombie and :gasp: we don't one any smart phones. Stop assuming!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
What is right and what is wrong? I am sure that the vast majority would agree on these things. You really are dense......
Maybe you need God, errr, "morals".

Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

To put it more bluntly: how can one intelligently discuss the development and history of the western civilization of which, like it or not, we are the inheritors, without experiencing the literary, musical, artistic, philosophical, and political movements inspired or heavily influenced by Christianity?
And what of the parts of civilization that bequested literature, music, art, philosophy and political movements inspired or heavily influenced by Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, folk religions, Wicca, Rastafari, Baha'i Faith, etc?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies