Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Please present a peer reviewed study to support your OPINION. If you can't then your OPINION is based on nothing but supposition, conjecture and your own bias.
You live in the south I take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Well, I guess we've come a long way when the racist think they're the victims.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
89% of Duke's student body comes from outside NC. Sounds like America's crazy racist Uncle is named Sam.
Makes sense I remember when the Duke Lacrosse farce happened I think a lot of the guys came from Connecticut or around there.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You agreeing with liberals on 2 or 3 issues does not make you socially liberal. I have read enough of your post to see that. by your logic, John McCain is socially liberal.
I accept your challenge.

I'm pro-gay pretty much across the board.

I don't personally like abortion but I don't think it should be banned per Roe v. Wade I consider it a dead issue.

I'm in favor of some modest changes to the gun laws like background checks and don't even have a real problem with some additional restrictions on type....but I correctly note that won't fix the majority of the problem which is societal and linked to poverty etc.

I've repeatedly defended OASDI as not being a ponzi scheme that needs to be killed off.

I've defended the general idea of Obamacare although I am not a fan of the mandatory for-profit stuff the health insurance lobby foisted upon the bill.

I've stated George Zimmerman should do time for manslaughter and that he might escape due to the bad SYG laws.

I'm looking forward to some of your examples, I suspect you are confusing where I disagreed with some of your party loyalism along the way.....you know....like the afghanistan surge and mounting death toll.

I mean, at least Padcrasher is a real liberal around here. We might not agree with them all the time but he's not a party slave. Ditto for some of our resident neocons.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What type of homes are these kids raised in that allows them to actually believe that this is acceptable?

Duke students rally against anti-Asian frat party - U.S. News

Duke University Kappa Sigma Fraternity Draws Accusations Of Racism With 'Asia Prime' Party

An email promoting the party features the puppet character of former Korean leader Kim Jong-Il from "Team America: World Police" and reads "Herro Nice Duke Peopre" in a misspelling intended to convey an east Asian accent.

Students at Duke University in Durham, N.C., gathered Wednesday to protest anti-Asian prejudice after a fraternity hosted a "racist rager" party last week replete with literature that lampooned Asian students.

The rally was planned after Kappa Sigma fraternity — which was allowed to return to campus last year after having dissolved in 2002 amid a misconduct investigation — threw a theme party Friday at which attendees dressed up in stereotypical Asian costumes, the campus newspaper, The Chronicle, reported.

"Something is deeply wrong with Duke. Something is deeply wrong with our community," a representative of the association said at the gathering Wednesday afternoon. "... This protest is about the destructive prejudice that must be uprooted from every corner of Duke to make this place an inclusive and safe place for all."

The rally was planned after Kappa Sigma fraternity — which was allowed to return to campus last year after having dissolved in 2002 amid a misconduct investigation — threw a theme party Friday at which attendees dressed up in stereotypical Asian costumes, the campus newspaper, The Chronicle, reported.
How dare they make fun of North Korea's "Dear Leader," I'm shocked.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Can you offer any explanation as to why the southern states seem to have such a high concentration of racists as compared to the country as a whole?

No rational person can deny that the South has more racists per capita than other regions of the country.
Maybe you could post up some of the FBI hate crime statistics by state to support your case?

I think we could all learn something from it.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Can you offer any explanation as to why the southern states seem to have such a high concentration of racists as compared to the country as a whole?

No rational person can deny that the South has more racists per capita than other regions of the country.

Perhaps you can supply some stats on that claim. I think there is as much racism in the other parts of the country as in the South. All of my readings supports this.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
You live in the south I take it?
And I take it you can't find a peer reviewed study to support your very biased opinion.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

In the first Duke incident almost ALL of the boys were from the North. I'd be willing to bet that is the same as this indecent.

So, what does THAT say about the North and racism?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What type of homes are these kids raised in that allows them to actually believe that this is acceptable?

Duke students rally against anti-Asian frat party - U.S. News

Duke University Kappa Sigma Fraternity Draws Accusations Of Racism With 'Asia Prime' Party

An email promoting the party features the puppet character of former Korean leader Kim Jong-Il from "Team America: World Police" and reads "Herro Nice Duke Peopre" in a misspelling intended to convey an east Asian accent.

Students at Duke University in Durham, N.C., gathered Wednesday to protest anti-Asian prejudice after a fraternity hosted a "racist rager" party last week replete with literature that lampooned Asian students.

"Something is deeply wrong with Duke. Something is deeply wrong with our community," a representative of the association said at the gathering Wednesday afternoon. "... This protest is about the destructive prejudice that must be uprooted from every corner of Duke to make this place an inclusive and safe place for all."

I do not beleive in racism but I also see a litle bit of an over-reaction here. The information is from 2 very left wing publications, especially the HPost and I remember being a college kid. Kids will be kids, they are not always politically correct, Frat guys particularly do a lot of things that might be better left undone, hopefully they will grow up. I am sure they will. In the meanwhile a mountain is being made out of a molehill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies