Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Surely, since you keep an eye on him, you'd be looking for him once he ran off. This kid had enough time to create some sort of scene, have a confrontation with a clerk, throw something at her, get chased by her, and get hit 25 times. All that took more than a short amount of time. Not to mention, it probably wasn't a real quiet encounter. Most of the time, or at least all I have seen, those are not very large stores. Three people in this situation are in the wrong - the clerk, the kid, and the mom. Had the mother at least tried to do her job this would not have happened. Probably part of what set the clerk off was that she felt the mother wasn't doing her job and making the kid behave. I wonder if this family were regular customers and the kid was just up to his usual shenanigans and this time the clerk snapped. Had any of three -the clerk, the kid, or the mom - behaved appropriately this would have most likely never happened.

AWAARE - Autism Wandering and Elopement Initiative

Quote:
Similar to wandering* behaviors in seniors with dementia or Alzheimer’s, children and adults with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) are prone to wandering away from a safe environment. Typically they will leave to get to something of interest, such as water, the park, or train tracks -- or to get away from something, such as loud noises, commotion, or bright lights.
Dangers associated with wandering include drowning, getting struck by a vehicle, falling from a high place, dehydration, hyperthermia, abduction, victimization and assault.

Because children with autism are challenged in areas of language and cognitive function, it can be difficult to teach them about dangers and ways to stay safe.

Keeping your autistic child safe: Practical tips for parents

Quote:
She's not alone. Denise Norton of Mt Gambier, South Australia, is the mother of 7-year-old Blair, a boy with autism. Her son is a "runner" -- he runs or wanders off without even any comprehension of the possible danger -- and so Denise knows all about the panic that can ensue when a child disappears. "When stressed, he will run and hide, where ever he can, and as far away as he can," she says. "The worst time was when he hid in an unlocked car on a 42 degree Celsius [107.6 degrees Fahrenheit] summer day, I found him on the verge of unconsciousness -- that was frightening."
Unless you've been there with a child who does this, you really cannot understand the impossiblility of watching them. The frustration, the fear --- no the terror --- of losing your child, the guilt, etc. I don't know if this child is autistic or not but I won't judge the parent or him unless I know more. Even neurotypical children can take their parents for a spin. I don't know one parent who hasn't been stymied by their kids at least once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Instead of using violence, the clerk should have just got on the loud speaker and said "will the inattentive parent of a little snot nosed brat running around throwing cookies child please come and claim him?"

Free speech!
Free speech doesn't apply to workplaces. She could very well have been fired for doing that and I would have supported that move.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
I thought it "[took] a village to raise a child". Guess not.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Why was the kid allowed to run around the store?

About the clerk's actions, didn't Hillary Rodham Clinton write a book titled It Takes A Village?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I thought it "[took] a village to raise a child". Guess not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why was the kid allowed to run around the store?

About the clerk's actions, didn't Hillary Rodham Clinton write a book titled It Takes A Village?
Ohhh clever, clever!!!! The notion of a community supporting each other in any way, shape or form translating to allowing random strangers to beat kids up can only be conjured up here in the asylum that is P&OC: City Data Style.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ohhh clever, clever!!!! The notion of a community supporting each other in any way, shape or form translating to allowing random strangers to beat kids up can only be conjured up here in the asylum that is P&OC: City Data Style.
And these same people would be up in arms (and running to court) if a clerk in a store decided that it was somehow appropriate to beat their child for whatever infraction. The kid was misbehaving, okay. Totally inappropriate behavior, yup. But the adult in the situation should have the self-control and the knowledge of the rules of their workplace to refrain from the extremely inappropriate behavior of beating a stranger's child. Not to mention how this behavior is a legal liability to their employer.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,719 times
The store clerk should have tossed the kid out of the store. Should be very easy to do.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
And these same people would be up in arms (and running to court) if a clerk in a store decided that it was somehow appropriate to beat their child for whatever infraction. .
Nope.

My kid wouldn't be left unsopervised and allowed to run all over the store.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
AWAARE - Autism Wandering and Elopement Initiative

Keeping your autistic child safe: Practical tips for parents

Unless you've been there with a child who does this, you really cannot understand the impossiblility of watching them. The frustration, the fear --- no the terror --- of losing your child, the guilt, etc. I don't know if this child is autistic or not but I won't judge the parent or him unless I know more. Even neurotypical children can take their parents for a spin. I don't know one parent who hasn't been stymied by their kids at least once.
As a teacher I have had many autistic students in my classroom, on every level of functioning. This kid is not one. Watch the video. He has great communication skills. The kid is a brat, plain and simple. I know one of those when I see them too.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Nope.

My kid wouldn't be left unsopervised and allowed to run all over the store.
If the clerk is to be charged for beating the boy, the parents should be charged with something as well. They left their boy unsupervised who then proceeded (his own words) to destroy the store. If I were the store owner I'd be tempted to beat him too, but I'd probably just opt to dragging his ass out of the store and dumping him outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies