Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Austin, sure has pulled many of the sane away from Hollywood.
I see actors and actresses weekly, and work in at least one of their homes yearly.
Oh I'm not denying that actors or actresses have never moved away from Los Angeles, but to suggest that those same actors and actresses have never been to Hollywood for extended periods of time is frivolous at best.

I'm sure that there are plenty of places in the US where the Entertainment Industry has set up shop; however, the fact remains that most (if not all) of them get their start in Hollywood or can be traced back to Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And we should care that Gov. Moonbeam is unhappy because?
No reason, whatsoever.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:21 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I make business loans for businesses all over the country. I can tell you California has a horrible reputation when it comes to small businesses. This applies to most, but not all business owners in California:

- lousy credit history
- no equity in their homes or commercial property, usually upside-down on their house
- high taxes
- higher expenses
- higher wages

...which all leads to...
much lower profit margins

We get paid commissions and we all groan if we get assigned a California business referral. Texas businesses usually do very well for all the same reasons.

When I decline a business in California and they ask me what changes they should make to improve their numbers, I always want to say "MOVE AWAY!!!" But, of course, who would buy that albatross of a house they own. And if they let it go, it will ruin their credit history.

I actually feel sorry for CA small business owners. They are caught in a trap.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:14 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Phase 2 kicks into gear...

Texas Trumps Governor Moonbeam

He begins a four-day barnstorming tour of California today, touting Texas’s virtues to business owners.

“Perry’s getting exactly what he wanted,” Gavin Newsom, the former Democratic mayor of San Francisco and now the state’s lieutenant governor, told radio station KQED. “He’s getting all kinds of press up and down the state, and why? Well, because he’s leaning in. He’s in the game. He’s getting in our heads.” Newsom ought to know. In 2011, he accompanied a group of state legislators on a fact-finding trip to Texas to interview former California business owners about their reasons for moving. Newsom told me at the time: “I am impressed with the focus on job creation I’ve seen here. We need to have a more balanced business climate in California.”

When Lieutenant Governor Newsom and California state legislators visited Texas in 2011, they heard testimony from business leaders there that Texas’s tort reforms had improved job creation.

One businessman who had left California couldn’t contain his frustration during his meeting with Newsom and the legislators. “You can have the most liberated lifestyle on the planet, but if you can’t afford to put gas in your car or a roof over your head, it’s somewhat limited,” I heard him warn them.

One more quote regarding wages...

“California has the third-highest cost of living, while Texas has the second-lowest,” says Chuck DeVore, a former California GOP state legislator who relocated to the Lone Star State to work as an analyst for the Texas Public Policy Foundation. “That means California’s $8 minimum wage buys $6.06 worth of goods and services, while Texas’s lower $7.25 wage buys the equivalent of $8.04.” One might even say that California’s high-tax, high-cost model is a form of class warfare against its poorest residents.

If Perry ever wanted to re-run for president, he should have Newsom's quote about job creation as a primary reference.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 02-11-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Since 3,500,000+ folks have left the state in the past 20 years according to Joel Kotkin, and therefore escaping from a state where 25% of the citizens live in poverty, and 33% of its residents are on welfare (both worst in the nation), Perry's ads are working aren't they?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Why would any business want to stay in that Liberal cesspool of a State with it's anti-business climate...

California Gov. Brown Unhappy with Texas Gov. Perry Over Radio Ad - Yahoo! News
Regardless of CA's politics or better yet policies, CA will remain the USA's main state in regards to economics and that will only continue to grow. CA has an advantage that Texas nor most states have and that's close proximity to developing East Asian markets. So you can ride against CA all you want but it will remain the top state for business regardless of its political affiliations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies