Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I'm not against welfare and disability for the truly needy. I'm against welfare and disability for the truly lazy.
I think everyone is against that. Where the differences crop up is many on the right seem to think anyone in need is just lazy and that's why they're in need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I'm sorry.
I don't know one single person who is against a safety net for the truly disabled.
I also support programs for the elderly.

Being a drunk or an addict or overweight is not a disability, btw.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
So many people are against welfare and disability pensions for the truly needy and disabled. But if we have no safety net, and we force disabled people to work, how do we stop employers from doing this? Or is it.......survival of the fittest?

There are people with real disabilities, being deaf to me is a real disability. There should be a safety net for these individuals. What's going on now is that people with questionable non-physical disabilities are being award SSDI. This is clearly abuse of system because these disability rolls increased dramatically when cash transfer welfare was curtailed in the 90s and lately because of the economy.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
My favorite was this patient I had in residency (she was one of many but it sums it up so beautifully).
She came in for a fall.
My attending saw she was on Medicare and 46 years old.
He went and asked her why she was on Medicare.
She said, "I'm disabled."
"How did you fall?" he asked.
"Dancing at the club."

Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
So many people are against welfare and disability pensions for the truly needy and disabled. But if we have no safety net, and we force disabled people to work, how do we stop employers from doing this? Or is it.......survival of the fittest?
Nobody's against a safety net. Both Democrats and Republicans are in favor of a safety net.
What separates the Democrats and the Republicans is that Republicans are not willing to use the safety net to buy votes. In the end, that's what it boils down to. Republicans only want the truly deserving to get public aid while Democrats are willing to spread tax money around like candy, knowing that the people getting the candy will vote for Democrats so they can get more.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
Wow, I think the OP really stuck it to all the hard core right wingers out there opposed to helping the truly needy. All three of them.

I didn't realize that having a handicap meant you couldn't do any more work ever. Someone should have told that to the guy I met at the VA office many years ago who had hooks where his arms used to be. Or the helicopter pilot who, in spite of losing both legs, was still flying on active duty in the Air Force. Heck, I see people at work in wheelchairs. All of these people have things that might keep them from doing some jobs, but they still find a way to be productive.

The safety net is for people who can not be productive, no matter how much they might want to.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 AM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
This country is ruled by one party now. Don't be fooled no matter what they do to "buy votes." They're both the same.

We need a third party.

It's not that fact that people need a safety net that gets people upset. It's the liars who pretend they need a safety net, who are perfectly capable of finding some kind of work but choose not to. Rather live off the govt. It's easier.

The waste, fraud, and abuse of welfare and disability is no longer tolerable. People are waking up. Why should Americans have a good attitude about a totally corrupt system?

best,
toodie

Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`m 95% in agreement with you but I`d be surprised if anyone is having babies to get a bigger check. Raising children is a full time job and a difficult one at that.
You can ask any social worker who works with inpoverished populations and that will tell you that goes on quite a bit. These "parents" (ie. deadbeat mothers and fathers) normally do the bare minimum. Even with the assistance, some of them don't even do that. And within the generational poverty types, children are used a commodity to retain or extract more financial support from the city. I've heard of several stories where mothers on welfare would actually influence their teenage daughters to get pregnant so that they could qualify for their own checks. A lot of the young women would receive 300-500 in monthly cash and foodstamps and think that they have it made compared to the money that they had before. For many people welfare is seen as financial secuirty and upward mobility.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I think everyone is against that. Where the differences crop up is many on the right seem to think anyone in need is just lazy and that's why they're in need.
I would ask you to define the word "many", and ask where you received your information that they think that "anyone" in need is just lazy.

I would also ask you where you received your information indicating that they do not support a social safety net for those who are truly in need

Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
your OP is a lie. NONE of us who are for responsible government are against helping the truely needy.

What we are against is government creating clients out of those who are NOT truely needy.

YOU need to stop being silly and putting up strawman arguments that have no basis in reality.
The OP is based in reality, numerous posters on this very forum are against having a safety net or program in place to help the poor. Some go so far as to say that schools should not be publicly funded, there should not be a job training program, and there should be no help provided if you can't afford your kids. Some of these programs are cheaper than a year of incarceration. Opposing welfare incentive is a fair point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies