Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,654,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Here is yet another scientific study that finds a link between fear and conservatism, this one from Brown University:

The connection between fear and political attitudes | Brown University News and Events

The study finds that people who have strong, irrational fear of "out-groups" (that is, anyone different than themselves), tend to hold conservative political values. Furthermore, such people are particularly susceptible to political campaigns that exploit those fears.

The author of the study takes pains to explain that she is not implying that every conservative is fearful of others- as she puts it, "Conservatives are not fearful- fearful people are conservatives"

The bad news- fear and irrationality by conservatives are a big reason for the current gridlock in DC as social issues rapidly evolve. Gay rights, the rise of the "minorities", immigration reform, gun safety, all relate to conservatives' fear of "the other", and their perceived increasing inability to defend themselves from those threatening them.

The GOOD news- the study found higher levels of education, and exposure and familiarity to the "threatening" groups, tends to alleviate the "fear factor"
The BAD news- lower levels of education and lack of exposure to "threating" groups tends to increase the fear factor then. No wonder so much of the rural, white south/plains is freaking out all the time. Is it possible to educate people that take pride in their ignorance??

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-07-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,941,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
lol!

'i'm still a genius, even though i fell for a hoax so obvious that even a child could see right through it, and i blame that other liberal genius, roger ebert!'

Just post where I claim I'm a genius or rank myself as smarter? I was discussing "group" outcomes.

Try to keep up.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,394,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If we left the children in charge we'd be eating candy and pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We need dreamers, but the grownups need to be in charge.

"Any man who is under 30 and is not a liberal has no heart. Any man who is over 30 and is not a conservative has no brain."

-Winston Churchill

Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,062,045 times
Being thoughtful, carefully weighing the facts and using commonsense is NOT being fearful. And it's why others might consider me very lucky in life... whereas I think that I've created my own "good luck" by not acting thoughtlessly.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,303,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
i find it hard to believe that anyone is more fearful than a liberal who has to bring a spare pair of panties to school just in case a child shows up with a pink water pistol.
zing!

14,361 posts, read 9,752,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

The GOOD news- the study found higher levels of education, and exposure and familiarity to the "threatening" groups, tends to alleviate the "fear factor"

So what they've essentially proven is that suspicion, and caution are templates of fear. Stunning that it would take a full-blown study to make that leap. These must be the same scientists that proved a liberal gene resides in people with higher IQs. It's just another self-aggrandizing liberal study, by progressive academia, proving that they can (and will) indoctrinate that suspicion and common sense right out of people.

People with common sense don't need studies to show them how to think, especially from academia which is filled with bat-$hit crazy neoprogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
The BAD news- lower levels of education and exposure to "threating" groups tends to increase the fear factor then. No wonder so much of the rural, white south/plains is freaking out all the time. Is it possible to educate people that take pride in their ignorance??
It's the same all over the World, the most rural are the most authoritarian/conservative.

The dictator Mobutu in Africa derives his support from the rural peasants, in the Ukraine the old communist, anti-democratic regime gets it support from the rural areas. Muslim radicals get their greatest support from rural folk. Being hardwired to seek out authority, goes hand in hand with lower IQ.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,654,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
Being fearful isnt always a bad thing. Also theres a big difference between fearful and suspicious. If i was a jew living in 1930s Poland and claimed hitler was gonna try and kill us i am sure the other jews would have called me an alarmist paranoid and fearful.
Why do conservatives so often bring up jews in Germany? And yet jews are overwhelmingly democrats and liberal? I think jews can think for themselves without the help of gentile conservtives and I'm pretty sure they know their history well.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-07-2013 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,095,212 times
Did this Brown U. Study take into account the violent crime and rape statistics regarding Africans?

I wouldn't call fear of Africans " irrational". I call it self-preservation.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
So what they've essentially proven is that suspicion, and caution are templates of fear. Stunning that it would take a full-blown study to figure that one out. It's just another self-aggrandizing liberal study, by progressive academia, proving that they can (and will) indoctrinate that suspicion right out of people.

People with common sense don't need studies to show them how to think, especially from academia which is filled with bat-$hit crazy neoprogs.
Oh yea..We need all those scientific studies to tell us what to believe....Liberuls are so stoopid! ...LOL

[turns on fox news]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies