Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
The truth of the matter is, that citizens who want our current immigration laws enforced, are anything but "irrational." In fact, citizens who understand the implications of having our immigration laws even more relaxed than they already are, seem to be more understanding of the effects it has on our economy. It is a known fact that illegal immigrants come here, and cost U.S. citizens billions in educating their children for free, providing them with free health care, deplete subsidies, while increasing demand for housing. They also drive down wages, while increasing unemployment rates and have a high rate of incarceration, which is also very expensive. The state of California spends billions on this issue alone.
Actually, that is not true. Actual data, as opposed to emotion-based fearful thinking, show that immigrants have an overall positive effect on the economy:

Immigrants’ productivity raises the U.S. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by an estimated $37 billion per year

More than a quarter of U.S. technology and engineering businesses launched between 1995 and 2005 had a foreign-born founder

In Silicon Valley, more than half of new tech start-up companies were founded by foreignborn owners

In 2005, companies founded by immigrants produced $52 billion in sales and employed 450,000 workers

Creating a "Brain Gain" for U.S. Employers: The Role of Immigration | Brookings Institution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
I have nothing personal against blacks. I'm just a numbers guy. Young black males are about 6% of the population yet commit 50% of the violent crime. I will live in neighborhoods that contain that demographic. Asian neighborhoods are typically safer than white neighborhoods. That's a higher level of self-preservation than living in a white neighborhood. That is not racist, that is reality. Nature doesn't have a "politically correct" filter.
Well I'm not a numbers person. I look at the individual first. Through my own experience being physically attacked both by White males(The only time I was shot, or came close to it was by a White male), and by Black males, the numbers aren't going to matter to me.

And young Black males are more likely to BE murder victims than anyone else. That means my chances are higher. And most likely, it comes at the hands of another Black male. According to your manifesto, Black males should avoid each other. How come I'm not avoiding ANYONE? I'm aware of statistics. However, I'm more concerned about the individual.

I consider it personal because when someone singles ME out because of my race, it is ME who gets affected. Until it stops affecting ME personally, I am going to take it personal.

Essentially, what you are saying is that in your mind, the individual doesn't count.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If we left the children in charge we'd be eating candy and pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We need dreamers, but the grownups need to be in charge.
The problem is that we don't have many grownups around these days. This generation is spun, and they have no concept of reality. I wish they did, but they do not.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The problem is that we don't have many grownups around these days. This generation is spun, and they have no concept of reality. I wish they did, but they do not.
Well the liberal creed is if it feels good it must be right. How could anything possibly go wrong with that logic?

Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 AM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
And yet studies show that Republicans are happier with life. Not just here in America, but Conservatives across Europe as well.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
And yet studies show that Republicans are happier with life. Not just here in America, but Conservatives across Europe as well.
Which studies?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM

354 posts, read 855,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Common sense would tell me that people that need constant validation with these ridiculous studies are quite fearful. I would also think that they would be smart enough to realize if they would quit wasting so much money on this tripe they might be able to lower tuition.

For example, there was a thread here a couple days ago showing that when a state moves toward gay marriage they win the super bowl. It really is about as accurate as a study devised toward a predestined result. I guess it is believed if they run these like minded studies over and over, getting the same predetermined outcome that one will validate the other.
Ha Ha "Ridiculous Studies" that is so funny! You mean studies that actually use science and non biased research? Unlike the conservative studies that said Romney was heading for a massive victory?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
So if you're paranoid and afraid somebody who owns a gun is going to shoot you and you want them banned, that makes you a conservative? That doesn't seem right..

Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I find it hard to believe that anyone is more fearful than a liberal who has to bring a spare pair of panties to school just in case a child shows up with a pink water pistol.
I find it hard to believe that anyone is more fearful than a conservative who relies on his guns and his Depends to defend himself against the government elected by his friends, neighbors and fellow citizens, and insists that children should in fact be armed in order to defend themselves from their fellow terrified gun nuts.

At least our fears have already come true. Mass killings at least once a month ... when was the last time the black helicopters came for your guns? And yet first graders must be shredded in order to preserve your toys and your fantasies ...

Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Well, you do live in a fantasy world. And it also makes sense that convincing yourself that you're always right simply because of your religion, skin color, gender, sexual orientation and/or class status would make you quite happy indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies