Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I thought this was a great article by a hip-hop artist I've appreciated for several years. I've worked within the industry some and share this artist's sentiment about the portrayal of black American by the music industry and the media in general.

From several of our race related threads, many posters have argued that the black "image" needs to be changed and there needs to be be more positive images in the media and in those communities. When it comes to the media, blacks have little to no control of what images are portrayed. All of the major networks and stations are white owned. Mitt Romney owns the largest radio network in America. Indirectly, he has some type of influence on what "images" or music is played to our country and the world.

What do these people know about hip-hop and rap culture? How are they shaping our image of black America?

k-os: Does Pitchfork Have a Race Problem?
Interesting. Good post. I remember a time before gansta rap got a foot hold and became comercialized, when there were many positive rappers on yo mtv rap and the like. I remember rhymes that used to educate and groups like Public Enemy were popular. I, honestly, have no problem with people who have been in the life rapping about gansta isht, but I resent these fake thugs (rick ross) coming out, selling these ghetto fairytales to our children. I tell kids all the time that that stuff is not real and you can't really live your life like that.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM

The stuff on the radio is best described as gansta hip pop. Honestly, they only play like 10 of the same artists in a rotation. Half of it is just Rhianna whining on a record. I listen to slacker or tune in, where I listen to old school hip hop. Most of the newer music I like is alternative and synth pop type stuff. I played out Phoenix and N.A.S.A albums from 2009.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Silly article filled with enough grammatical errors that even an uneducated bumpkin like myself could tell the difference. It sounds like your typical angry black man blaming whitey for everything. Blacks are not shown in a good light in the media because there's really nothing to contradict this perception. Blacks do not become scientists, lawyers, doctors, engineers, or venture capitalists, etc. If this were the case Africa would a thriving nation. When blacks start contributing more to society than giving us rap music and random crime then that's when you'll see a more positive spin in the media. It's really that simple.
Wow. So President Obama, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Colin Powell, etc. Nothing huh?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
The stuff on the radio is best described as gansta hip pop. Honestly, they only play like 10 of the same artists in a rotation. Half of it is just Rhianna whining on a record. I listen to slacker or tune in, where I listen to old school hip hop. Most of the newer music I like is alternative and synth pop type stuff. I played out Phoenix and N.A.S.A albums from 2009.
Naw it's not, the radio music is more like hip-pop. Ross is pop not gangsta rap

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Mmmm... that does make sense, but there's need to be an immediate reform in the music industry, matter fact the whole entertainment industry. The rap game is over-saturated, I mean in Atlanta alone, I can name over 10 rappers who all sound the same and make the same type of music to a certain demographic of audiences. So if they all getting play and in rotation, tag along the mainstream rappers who probably target the same group, it gets overwhelming. The psyche of young people is being molded to only get money, not care about emotions of the opposite sex just have sex, take a life for nothing less than a stack and after be glorified. Man this **** getting me upset just to see this cycle being perpetuated is so sad man...
Is Trinidad James from ATL? That is nothing but an act. Period. On that song he has, he sounds like a Short Bus Shorty (youtube it). But I've heard him talk on intetviews where he sounds like a regular college student. And people buy into it like this flamboyant "homie" would be safe, even a "bosd" in his hood.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 PM

*boss

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Naw it's not, the radio music is more like hip-pop. Ross is pop not gangsta rap
I threw the gangst part in for lil wayne, rick ross, and Canada's hardest thug, Drake.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
Quote:
Is Trinidad James from ATL? That is nothing but an act. Period. On that song he has, he sounds like a Short Bus Shorty (youtube it). But I've heard him talk on intetviews where he sounds like a regular college student. And people buy into it like this flamboyant "homie" would be safe, even a "bosd" in his hood.
Lol.

The best part of that video is the dude getting pushed in the shopping cart. I can't wait to see muther^&ers pushing each other in shopping carts now lol.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,488 times
Quote:
Clayco to be exact. He ain't nothing but a hipster I guess, but you see how quick he came up off a song that's nothing but a detriment to young people.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Clayco to be exact. He ain't nothing but a hipster I guess, but you see how quick he came up off a song that's nothing but a detriment to young people.
A great example of people being bought off, being paid to behave stupidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies