Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM

918 posts, read 816,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
OK,so who did you say was spit on? Verifiably spit on?
Oh! mister Magoo...you've gone and done it again. If you check my posts you'll see I didn't do what you suggest here.

What I did do though, is I took issue with the fixation in the OP on only "spitting". I would have included the overall animose displayed against those Vietnam GIs. And not all, but some and occuring in various isolated incidents provoked by assorted groups who stood against that war. What actually transpired imo, if you're even interested on another's opinion, is those people in the main took out their frustrations with their own government on those returning veterans. Can I prove that? Of course not. It's a fair and reasonable supposition based upon all the facts of that time as I knew them and not a hindsight judgment.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And?
Is the point of this solely to point out that he claims to have been spit upon?
And if so, what is the point of dredging this up now?

It does look like you did not bothering even reading the letter he wrote to polesi.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
Oh! mister Magoo...you've gone and done it again. If you check my posts you'll see I didn't do what you suggest here.

What I did do though, is I took issue with the fixation in the OP on only "spitting". I would have included the overall animose displayed against those Vietnam GIs. And not all, but some and occuring in various isolated incidents provoked by assorted groups who stood against that war. What actually transpired imo, if you're even interested on another's opinion, is those people in the main took out their frustrations with their own government on those returning veterans. Can I prove that? Of course not. It's a fair and reasonable supposition based upon all the facts of that time as I knew them and not a hindsight judgment.
Would I say that no Viet vet ever experienced abuse? Of course not, but when tens of thousands (minimum) spend 4 decades screeching about spitting or having drinks thrown in their face,I gotta say Bulls**t.My guess is that a large percentage of those anti-war people had friends and relatives doing Vietnam time. Treating the vets bad? That came primarily from the Veterans groups.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM

918 posts, read 816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Treating the vets bad? That came primarily from the Veterans groups.
I definitely disagree with that, but the point remains. You can't prove your contention and I can't prove mine. It's a pissing contest with no winner!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
I was a professsional soldier and came in and out through Oakland Army Base six six times during the Vietnam War. I ws never spat on and in fact got a good job because I was a Vietnam Veteran. The Troops came in and outt through Oakland or SFO or Travis AFB none of whch are in the City of San Francisco which Nancy Pelosi represents has represented since

That's right 1987, fourteen years after the last US Forces left Vietnam

Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
just bek it did not happen to you does not mean it did not happen.
viet vets were not always treated well lest we forget our groovy past.
let us not join the national past time of rewriting history.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
just bek it did not happen to you does not mean it did not happen.
viet vets were not always treated well lest we forget our groovy past.
let us not join the national past time of rewriting history.
Why involve Nancy Pelosi, she wasn't in Congress then and it would not have happened in her district. I hear these complaints from other vets but whenever I ask them to get specific it turns into an "I heard that". I'm sure it did happen but it is 80% bull.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Some were treated badly, yes. But not all. This man's personal history is in no way representative of every single Viet Nam vet's experiences.
My husband was a Viet Nam era vet. He was never spit on, harassed or otherwise abused because of his service.
Ah yes, political correctness and speciality writing at its best. Notice everyone she says, "Vietnam era vet." So, he never set foot in country, never fired a weapon in country, never was fired upon, yet elisted in probably oh, 1974 and spent his 4 yrs in Germany, sucking down beer, etc. Yes, never once was spit upon, because he never was there.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-11-2013 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ah yes, political correctness and speciality writing at its best. Notice everyone she says, "Vietnam era vet." So, he never set foot in country, never fired a weapon in country, never was fired upon, yet elisted in probably oh, 1974 and spent his 4 yrs in Germany, sucking down beer, etc. Yes, never once was spit upon, because he never was there.

Wow. Another smack down of the First Amendment.

BTW: I've got a husband and two brothers who did multiple tours in Vietnam. Navy, Special Forces and an infantry grunt if it matters. They saw combat. They weren't spit at when they got home.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-11-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. Another smack down of the First Amendment.

BTW: I've got a husband and two brothers who did multiple tours in Vietnam. They saw combat. They weren't spit at when they got home.
Yes. And? My father was killed in Vietnam? What is your point?

If you are going to talk, then talk. A "Vietnam Era Veteran" IS NOT a Vietnam Veteran. I know many people who enlisted in 1967, 1968, 1969 et al and never stepped foot in country. THAT is my point. She is saying because her husband, who never saw combat, wasn't spit on, no one else was.

The facts remain, MANY people who were in country and came back to the United States WERE. My mother, yes the woman married to my father, was VERY anti war and protested against it. Marched with Jane Fonda at UC Berkeley and I could go on. The things she and her friends did to veterans were astounding.

She had a heart attack (not literally) when I joined the Marine Corps in 1981. My Drill Instructors were "Vietnam Era Veterans." Yet not a one of them set foot in Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies