Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
But they depend on the teabaggers for their votes. If they start dumping the KKKers, teabaggers, Neo-Cons, White Power freaks, anti-abortioner wackos, survivalists nutjobs, and all the other right wing extremists, there will be virtually no one left in the GOP.
Pipe dream my man, pipe dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Pipe dream my man, pipe dream.
I know, I know. You Republicans will never be able to drop the lunatic fringe. They are your main voting base, and without them, there wouldn't BE Republicans.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Who represents the GOP these days?

1. Libertarians like Ron and Rand Paul?

2. Social conservatives like Richard Murdouck, Sarah Palin, or Todd Akin?

3. Moderate Republicans like John McCain and Chuck Grassley?

4. Fiscal conservative governors like Scott Walker or Nikki Haley?

That's a pretty broad tent, people. Who in your mind doesn't represent the GOP? I think you've become like the democrats, you're trying to make too many people happy and the attempt to do so is making GOP candidates unelectable on a national basis.

Rand Paul is also socially conservative and fiscally conservative. Likewise for Walker and Haley.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, the party does have a messaging problem.

The Democrats of today are nothing like the Democrats of JFK's time. Obama's message is radically different from JFK's message.

On the other hand the conservative "extremists" of today are exactly like the GOP of Reagan's time. Reagan wanted low taxes and small government, and the so-called "extremists" today are advocating for low taxes and small government.

What's changed is the culture. That means the GOP does indeed have a messaging problem. They have failed to present a compelling case against the welfare state. When Reagan in 1980 said that small government was good, people believed him. When a Republican today says that small government is good, people don't believe it. That's a messaging problem.
I took a semester off of college to volunteer full time on the Reagan campaign. You couldn't be more wrong. When Reagan republicans talked about smaller government and lower taxes, you have to remember that the top marginal tax rate was around 70 or 80% when Reagan took office in 1980. There absolutely was republican support for common sense social welfare programs at that time. The democrats were very liberal. The democratic leadership has moved to the center since then, and the R party has moved further and further to the right, to the point where Reagan wouldn't recognize them as republicans anymore. I'm all about smaller government, but not NO government or total corporate welfare policies when it comes to economic issues, and big ginormous intrusive government when it comes to social issues. This isn't a problem with the message--even moderate conservatives like me think the R party has gone off the deep end. People don't support the party's proposals anymore, because they ARE extreme. The sooner the R party figures that out, the sooner they'll stop losing the common sense conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies