Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 AM

76,997 posts, read 47,342,336 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON: In immigration debate, evangelicals tie issue to Bible to push Republicans - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Faith leaders and their congregations have become an unlikely but powerful ally to reform advocates, framing the question over what to do with 11 million unauthorized residents as one of moral compassion, and tapping into influence among Republicans to so

WASHINGTON -- I was a stranger and you invited me in.

Evangelicals nationwide are turning their Bibles to Matthew 25:35 and praying that Congress is listening to those words — part of a highly-coordinated effort to spur progress on the long unresolved and contentious issue of immigration.

Faith leaders and their congregations have become an unlikely but powerful ally to reform advocates, framing the question over what to do with 11 million unauthorized residents as one of moral compassion, and tapping into influence among Republicans to soften opposition to a pathway to citizenship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 AM

It is odd in the sense that in the past the Republicans have expected the evangelicals to take their side on most issues, and be quiet on the ones they disagree.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,883,590 times
Seems some Evangelicals don't know the meaning of that passage and are using God to comfort their misunderstanding. God never said breaking laws was part of being a Christian. One thing to allow people who honestly want to be here, it's another to grant amnesty to how many gang members and more people on welfare.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Seems some Evangelicals don't know the meaning of that passage and are using God to comfort their misunderstanding. God never said breaking laws was part of being a Christian. One thing to allow people who honestly want to be here, it's another to grant amnesty to how many gang members and more people on welfare.
If someone sneaks into your back yard, and digs up the carrots you grow there, you have the legal right to have him arrested and punished, but you also have the choise to invite him in and feed him. In that passage in Matthew Jesus was talking about that choise. He says to show compassion. It is a choise, and some people agree with you in saying that they should be punished, and some agree with Jesus that we could show compassion. It is not a right and wrong issue, it is a judgment call.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-08-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,883,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If someone sneaks into your back yard, and digs up the carrots you grown there, you have the legal right to have him arrested and punished, but you also have the choise to invite him in and feed him. In that passage in Matthew Jesus was talking about that choise. He says to show compassion. It is a choise, and some people agree with you in saying that they should be punished, and some agree with Jesus that we could show compassion. It is not a right and wrong issue, it is a judgment call.
Did God intend for us to feed them and their offspring for a life time?

Should I provide meals and clothes for those who chose to not help their selves every day or just around Christmas time?

If their children are drug dealers and gang members I'm I to love them and give them my money anyway, knowing they will not leave the life of crime?

How do we handle those that come here, become Democrat and all the freebies that go with it, just continue paying higher taxes to afford them?

Do you show compassion to the murder, did you pray for those recent shooters or just the victims?

Have you prayed for Bernie Maddoff or just the people he ripped off?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM

62,583 posts, read 28,779,031 times
Quote:
I keep wondering where is their compassion for the American citzens who have lost their jobs to illegal immigrants or had their wages reduced. How about our taxes being increased to cover their social costs, the added crime the ID thefts, the crowded schools, jails and hospitals? I love how these libs and ethnocentrics try to take the moral highground when their compassion is for foreign lawbreakers and none for their fellow citizens.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,222,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If someone sneaks into your back yard, and digs up the carrots you grown there, you have the legal right to have him arrested and punished, but you also have the choise to invite him in and feed him. In that passage in Matthew Jesus was talking about that choise. He says to show compassion. It is a choise, and some people agree with you in saying that they should be punished, and some agree with Jesus that we could show compassion. It is not a right and wrong issue, it is a judgment call.
You're right that it is a judgement call, but we can't ignore econmics. A migrant worker program is fine, most countries have that, but giving citizenship is another. I would much rather give citizenship to poor educated Chinese or Indians that can contribute to the economy, to schools, that have a higher likelihood of starting a company.

IF we absolutely have to provide a path to citizenship then I would like the illegal immigration to stop as well as the 'anchor baby' provision amended.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Did God intend for us to feed them and their offspring for a life time?
Jesus taught to show compassion:

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Quote:
Should I provide meals and clothes for those who chose to not help their selves every day or just around Christmas time?
You claim people choose to be poor, but it is only your personal opinon.

Quote:
If their children are drug dealers and gang members I'm I to love them and give them my money anyway, knowing they will not leave the life of crime?
You paint them as drug dealers and gang members, but that is only your personal opinon.

Quote:
Do you show compassion to the murder, did you pray for those recent shooters or just the victims?
You paint them as murderers, but that is only your personal opinon.

Drug dealers, murderers, gang mambers.... is that all you see when you see an immigrant?

Quote:
Have you prayed for Bernie Maddoff or just the people he ripped off?
Matt 5 Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

Quote:
How do we handle those that come here, become Democrat
Is the fear of them becoming Democrats the driving force behind your opposition?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-08-2013 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You're right that it is a judgement call, but we can't ignore econmics.
I think one of the reasons Republicans push for path to citizenship, is because throwing them out, would be a bigger blow to the economy.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,193,660 times
Quote:
Someone mentions a bible verse about compassion and helping the less fortunate and you post an extremely judgemental post with negative generalizations.

Seems you don't know the meaning of the passage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies