Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

My own experience. I graduated from college 6 months ago. I have looked online for many jobs. There have been quite a few jobs that call for my major, geography. However, almost none of these jobs are entry level jobs. The jobs often call for 3-5 years of experience or more. What I'm seeing is that more employers are trying to avoid hiring college graduates. This isn't to say that there aren't any that won't, because I know some people from my major who landed jobs relatively quickly. However, it seems like they had to know someone. Someone told me that most jobs are found via connections, basically "it's WHO you know".

What I've learned is that it often doesn't matter who was the president. I had trouble getting a job under the Bush administration, and I'm having trouble getting one now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
Guess what? The Millennials are a huge and important voting block. GOP has already lost 2 voting cycles of this electorate. And the 3rd lost is coming in 2016. Read Margaret Hoover, a moderate Republican. Can't win the White house w/o the millenials and minorities. I don't see how the Repubs can get these votes back.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
In all honesty, OP, your threads are just so full of propaganda and you seem to have some sort of strange obsession with Obama.

You think the economy would be turned around and 100% had McCain won? Even after the 8 CURSED years of George W? If you think that, you are seriously delusional. I'm not saying that I support Obama 100%. But guess what? Americans ELECTED Obama TWICE just like how they elected Bush twice. Get over it. Apparently over half of the country thought Obama was the man for the job. Better luck next time.

Although these hysterical paranoid threads from right wingers never fail to bring a smile to my face so I can thank you for that.
If anyone is delusional, it's the young folks who fell for the Hope N' Change mantra hook, line, and sinker. And now they're up to their eyeballs in student debt with no job. So why in the hell would they vote AGAIN for the guy who did nothing for them? Afterall, didn't they expect something to come from the Hope N Change they voted for?

LOL

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

LOL

Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If anyone is delusional, it's the young folks who fell for the Hope N' Change mantra hook, line, and sinker. And now they're up to their eyeballs in student debt with no job. So why in the hell would they vote AGAIN for the guy who did nothing for them? Afterall, didn't they expect something to come from the Hope N Change they voted for?

LOL

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

LOL
And you think Mitt would have gotten these young folks some jobs? How about McCain?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM

28 posts, read 39,241 times
The elite control wages and employment opportunities and run politics regardless of whether a democrat or republican is in office.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOne View Post
The elite control wages and employment opportunities and run politics regardless of whether a democrat or republican is in office.
And in today's "world economy" the rich no longer trickle down their $$$.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
They never did.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My own experience. I graduated from college 6 months ago. I have looked online for many jobs. There have been quite a few jobs that call for my major, geography. However, almost none of these jobs are entry level jobs. The jobs often call for 3-5 years of experience or more. What I'm seeing is that more employers are trying to avoid hiring college graduates. This isn't to say that there aren't any that won't, because I know some people from my major who landed jobs relatively quickly. However, it seems like they had to know someone. Someone told me that most jobs are found via connections, basically "it's WHO you know".

What I've learned is that it often doesn't matter who was the president. I had trouble getting a job under the Bush administration, and I'm having trouble getting one now.
Nothing new here. It's been true as long as there have been employers and employees. It's about networking, not sitting in your room looking as Monster.com. If you read a job search book you would know that.

Why did you pick geography? Big job market for that?

It won't matter who is president if there are limited jobs for that major. None of this is new to the recession. Jobs don't fall from the sky and most people aren't in their dream jobs or even in the field they want. None of this is new. My parents went through it and I went through it but millenials think it's just them.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
They never did.
you're right.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
And you think Mitt would have gotten these young folks some jobs? How about McCain?
I absolutely think that business confidence would have transformed overnight with the election of Mitt Romney. To understand business, is to understand risk and confidence. It's all about the fundamentals, and Mitt Romney was far beyond Barack Obama in that area of expertise. But who doesn't understand that? Minorities and Millennials. They don't know jack **** about what makes this country tick. They heard "Hope N Change" and saw brown skin and they succumbed to the idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies