Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Based on what you've said so far, it's pretty obvious for whom you voted.

So you're saying a failed community organizer was a better choice than a successful businessman?

OK, then.

Enjoy your pathetic little life. With 0boy at the helm, you're going nowhere.
Not just me, but a marjority of the country wasn't buying that "successful business" ploy. I will enjoy my pathetic little life, you enjoy your pathetic little butt hurt life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is part of the problem. Today's generation feel as if they are ENTITLED to a good paying job simply because they went to college. This is NOT how it works....not now....not ever. While the unsavory position of "answering phones" may not appeal to your entitled mentality, the point is that you get your foot in the door and WORK YOUR WAY UP. How many successful people started in a position that they felt was their only opportuntity to do well? NONE. They started in an unsavory position in order to BUILD a CAREEER or a BUSINESS.

If you want to understand why the Millennial Generation doesn't have much to offer this country, then look no further than your own entitlement mentality.
This is not true and you must know that.
It wasn't even that long ago that a person could graduate from college and get a job with a very good starting salary with benefits.
I would bet if you asked many of these kids' parents that they would tell you exactly that, hence the push to go to college and/or university.
The days of starting in the mail room are at least two generations behind us.

Companies don't hire now because they don't have to. Longer-term employees are so afraid of losing their jobs that they willingly take pay cuts, work 60 hour weeks, take no vacation and so on.

This is the new reality.
But, if it makes you feel better to continue to demean people, carry on.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree with you in principle, but we do have a two party system (whether we like it or not).

I think it is somewhat stupid to claim that 'Mitt never told us what he was going to do' when Obama has never laid out an economic plan for a single one of his programs. Neither candidate laid out a path, but Obama was much better at marketing, and people fell for it.

On the economic side of things, we NEED someone like a Romney who would run the country like a business. We do not need someone like Obama who disregards the fiscal constraints that should exist.

On social issues, I agree with the typical liberal agenda in principle, however I don't see what social issues have to do with government. We as individual people have a responsibility to move social issues forward, but a government should not spend money on them.
And why shouldn't the gov't be involved in civil rights and discrimination? I find these issues to be very important. You personally may not, hence you place no importance on it. How did slavery, segregation, woman suffrage end? The government and the supreme court decided it is racism and discrimination. Today's civil rights fight is for gay rights/marriage. It is extremely relevant when choosing a president.

You are right about Obama not laying out a specific economic plan. Both Mitt and Obama didn't. That's why I said it's a wash. The social issue on the other hand won my vote.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Your logic is lacking. One can't not put their faith (vote) in Obama because of some sort of predetermined "trajectory" and then turn around and NOT expect something from John McCain for the same reason.
Two separate and distinct ideas.
I was not saying that they put their faith in Mr. Obama because they were already on a college track.
I am saying that they were already on that track before he became a candidate for president and once on that track, when presented with their options for a presidential candidate they picked him.

You seemed to be arguing that they chose to go to college and saddle themselves with debt because of some promise that candidate Obama made to them.
Did I misinterpret your argument?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It wasn't even that long ago that a person could graduate from college and get a job with a very good starting salary with benefits.
I would bet if you asked many of these kids' parents that they would tell you exactly that, hence the push to go to college and/or university.
The days of starting in the mail room are at least two generations behind us.

Companies don't hire now because they don't have to. Longer-term employees are so afraid of losing their jobs that they willingly take pay cuts, work 60 hour weeks, take no vacation and so on.

This is the new reality.
But, if it makes you feel better to continue to demean people, carry on.
What do you consider "good starting salary and benefit?"

Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM

420 posts, read 335,148 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe liberal voters are dumb as ****. I have no qualms whatsoever admitting that.

Regarding the stock market, investors are not intrigued by recent quarterly financial statements. No one is loudly and proudly proclaiming that the stock market is leading an economic recovery. Read up.

Your blather about Mitt Romney is just that. Liberals cried and cried over Romney's taxes and "binders full of women"......both of which were manufactured controversies demonstrating the depth of liberal intellect.

So yes, I think liberals are dumb as ****. I'm not surprised at all that these are the items you chose to use to talk trash about Romney. Not in the slightest. Par for the course in Liberal La La land. Because you know....the things that really matter......just don't matter there!
How ironic.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You might be thinking of that tech bubble thing. There have been periods of time of very high employment and high starting salaries but that is an anomoly. Anyone ever seeking work in a recession or even an average economy knows this.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
And why shouldn't the gov't be involved in civil rights and discrimination? I find these issues to be very important. You personally may not, hence you place no importance on it. How did slavery, segregation, woman suffrage end? The government and the supreme court decided it is racism and discrimination. Today's civil rights fight is for gay rights/marriage. It is extremely relevant when choosing a president.

You are right about Obama not laying out a specific economic plan. Both Mitt and Obama didn't. That's why I said it's a wash. The social issue on the other hand won my vote.
Obviously I think those issues are important. I volunteer a large amount of my personal time and money to help both those less fortunate as well as those incorrectly discriminated against.

We as people need to fight to help each other instead of pawning the responsibility off on the government. Mitt clearly comes out ahead in terms of the economics. He ran one of the most successful companies in the world to a point of unbelievable profitability. If he had even a fraction of the success that he had at Bain with the country then we would be very far along a road to economic recovery.

Past action is a great predictor of future action, and Romney's past was one that we desperately need emulated at a national political stage. Also, how would Obama's actions over the last few years of having a complete disregard for the future economic health of this country not have turned everyone off to him?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
What do you consider "good starting salary and benefit?"
Well, let's see. When I started working back in the early 80s, the company I worked for started entry level research assistants at around $25K with full medical and dental benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc.
Median starting salary for the same job today in the NYC area, where I lived at the time, is $50K+.

Just a tad more than $11.00 an hour.

The Starting Salary of a Research Analyst | eHow.com

Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Millennials chose social issues over fixing the economy. Simple as that. Abortion, gay marriage and birth control were more important than job creation. But what do you expect from people who are told at every turn that Republicans want women to be barefoot and pregnant, perpetual wars, gay rights banned and the rich to get richer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies