Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

"I'll say it again if you don't want a child...don't have sex". That should be your mantra OP. Seriously. It highlights so much ignorance in one tiny package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Just a guess, but this could be in response to another bill coming up in Iowa.

In another bill, the crime of knowingly having sex with someone when you have AIDS and not telling your partner is currently punishable by a 25 year sentence and a senator wants that reduced to 5-7 if I remember correctly. It is being brought forward because it is seen as discriminatory toward the gay population.

IMO, carrying a child for 9 months would be easier to handle than a lifetime of wondering when AIDS may come into play. But in either case , it comes down to personal responsibility.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Kinda, sorta...though an abortion is a perfect fit by that definition.

That's quite the generalization, don't you think?

For reference, I am friends with a couple who has been married several years. They don't wish to have a child yet, and she is on birth control. It failed once though, and so they had an abortion. I fail to see which part of their actions qualify as either lazy or irresponsible.

Why? It goes against human psychology and instincts and methods up to and including abortion are available to mitigate the risk.

It's nice that in your reference the man got to have a say in their abortion. Obviously you realize this is not the norm.

I guess you aren't open-minded enough to realize that it goes against the human psychology and instincts of some people to remove the life of someone that causes a disruption to you for nine months based on a bad decision you made. Some don't see that as an acceptable way to mitigate that risk. They feel that denying yourself a few minutes of pleasure is preferable to taking a life. Go figure....

Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I guess you aren't open-minded enough to realize that it goes against the human psychology and instincts of some people to remove the life of someone that causes a disruption to you for nine months based on a bad decision you made. Some don't see that as an acceptable way to mitigate that risk. They feel that denying yourself a few minutes of pleasure is preferable to taking a life. Go figure....
That's fine. They're perfectly welcome to have those beliefs and not have abortions. Nobody will put a gun to their head and make them do otherwise.

Last edited by McBain II; 02-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"I'll say it again if you don't want a child...don't have sex". That should be your mantra OP. Seriously. It highlights so much ignorance in one tiny package.

I suppose so. Especially if no one has taken the time to tell you where babies come from.

Most people that couldn't afford a Mercedes would chose to buy a cheaper car knowing they would be responsible for payments that were out of reach for them. You can do many things sexually that don't result in pregnancy and the resulting responsibilities.

I sure wish I got everything I wanted in life when I wanted it.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's fine. They're perfectly welcome to have those beliefs and not have abortions. Nobody will put a gun to their head and make them do otherwise.

Well of course not. People don't kill people...guns kill people.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:37 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's amazing how people are perfectly willing to use this when it comes to men paying for child support. If you don't want to pay for child support then keep your pants zipped. But when it comes to a woman, then suddenly that a horrific argument that punishes the woman and sexual desire is natural and shouldn't be denied and all that rot. If you don't want to get pregnant then keep your legs closed is sexist and misogynistic. And these aren't different people. These are the same people who hold both opinions at the same. And to top it off, these are the same people who complain about sexual double standards between men and women when it comes to judging women for having casual sex but praising men for it. Complete hypocrites.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:59 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
And yet in thread after thread - I hear that Republicans are NOT waging a war on women and that they are NOT trying to overturn Roe v Wade or outlaw abortion ~ yet, here we are. See below.

So - are Republicans trying to overturn Roe V Wade or not? Inquiring minds . . .

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...epublican.html

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,977 times
Its not a war on women,That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Stopping the murder of unborn babies is now a war on women...amusingly stupid.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Yep. Just 1 reason I refuse to adopt. I hate dealing with the state in its capacity that it is in. The state sticks its nose where it doesn't belong just like the feds do.

[the irony]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies