Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:20 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by udoshia View Post
why do we keep electing war mongers. in drone warfare Obama has passed bush already in push button killing and talk about buying drones with wild abandon. I agree we did not have good choices when we voted but why rush to being the most hated country in the world
I agree with your sentiments, but realize the drones are being used in a war which already existed, thanks to the real big-spending warmongers - those who started it, support it, those who want to continue it and expand it. Those paranoid right-wingers may come to power if Americans go to sleep again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM

490 posts, read 650,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The only reason Dems and Obama have that high of a rating is because we have a pathetically stupid and lazy populace. That's the ONLY reason.
Was that gathered scientifically?

Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
Was that gathered scientifically?
No in IT'S own world, it needs to step back into reality with the rest of the world.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
That wasn't the original Obama proposal. He had lots of much better ideas that the House treated as DOA. It has to be frustrating to have gerrymandering lock up government so it can't act, even though the guy in the White House obviously was the majority choice. Once again, MOST people responding to polls are totally blind to the system of government they live under. So they make wild guesses as to why things go the way they go. I can only make my own inferences about the meaning of popularity figures elicited from people who know nothing but the question they were asked. The schools try to train future citizens, but only a few in school actually pay attention and learn. It creates a situation where the value of the data for prediction is uncertain.
1) So then why does Obama never bother to fight for things? It's only DOA if you give up, which he does constantly and gives into the Republicans. They get their way because they're obstinate and irritating about what they want. Not saying I agree with their principles either but you can't give in and then complain about it.

2) Gerrymandering is a two-way street. The Voting Rights Act of 1964 explicitly requires (and confirmed by the Supreme Court) that there be minority-majority district. I wonder how those are voting…

Old 02-09-2013, 10:09 PM

264 posts, read 280,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Like Egypt elected Morsi. Now they don't like him.
That statement would only make sense if they re-elected him. Your guy lost because people like what Obama is doing better. It doesn't take much against a stiff, antiquated party that doesn't make any change for the better. It is what it is...

Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
A ton of Presidents have slogged their way through uneventful second terms, and someone as unpopular as this one (51% of the popular vote was all he could muster) will undoubtedly do likewise, and especially as more bad news regarding what's buried in ObamaCare that nobody at ABC, NBC or CBS bothered to inform the masses about, not to mention the forthcoming sequester, which Obama proposed and which is now coming back with a vengeance to bite him in the you-know-what!

Buyers remorse indeed.
Oh, so 51% of the vote makes Obama unpopular now? If that's unpopular then the guy who only got 47% might as well leave the country.

And your second term predictions are wishful thinking. He could just as easily maintain very high approvals like Clinton if the economy recovers.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Why does it matter what is approval ratings are? He's going to be the president for another 3 years regardless.
Good point. I'm going to stop watching them for a couple of years. Maybe start paying attention again in 2015.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
A ton of Presidents have slogged their way through uneventful second terms, and someone as unpopular as this one (51% of the popular vote was all he could muster) will undoubtedly do likewise, and especially as more bad news regarding what's buried in ObamaCare that nobody at ABC, NBC or CBS bothered to inform the masses about, not to mention the forthcoming sequester, which Obama proposed and which is now coming back with a vengeance to bite him in the you-know-what!

Buyers remorse indeed.
Hey, Marv, wasn't it you Republican clowns who assured the entire country that Obama would lose? Gee, what happened? He didn't lose?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
It doesn't matter if his approval rating falls to 0.
He won and has 4 more years in the WH.

He'll spend the last year pushing Dem policies so that the Dems stay in power for the next election.
That's my prediction.

People have short memories. They will remember what happened in October when they go to vote in November.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
D'oh! That's gotta hurt! I'm convinced that the honeymoon is over for this President. The next 4 years are sure to be as lame duck as it gets.
His legacy will be all about fiscal policy.....specifically that he didn't raise a finger to tame debts/deficits and instead ran as fast as he could towards a $20 TRILLION dollar national debt. He will not be looked upon favorably when the bill comes due during the next generation.
So he did nothing to tame deficit spending which repubs embraced, and the debt which they ran up.
Of course, repubs had nothing to do with that debt, and had zero concern about it until 2009.
Remember, your boy Cheney said "deficits don't matter". Now suddenly, in the repub mind - they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I agree 51% is still fairly strong however I do believe he is on a decline and will continue this direction. I don't believe his hostility and lack of civility is playing well concerning compromise although he has toned it down recently. Likely due to the fact the GOP has more leverage on him than they did a month ago. I also believe some of his statements like, "we do not have a spending problem" are not playing well with the true moderates (Independents, libertarians and other swing voters) and he is burning his political capital at an alarming rate.
One way or the other, we'll see.
Libertarians moderate? Since when is total privatization "moderate"?

Quote:

Buyers remorse indeed.
So Obama is something "special" in your mind, and you see these figures as really significant, even though 51% and changing is right in there with other presidents.
OK, let's take a look at how republican presidents have fared in this regard.
Presidential Approval Ratings History - Interactive Comparison Graph - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies