Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,122,801 times

Advertisements

Our dear Marxist leader watching out for the little guy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/bu....html?hp&_r=1&
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Our dear Marxist leader

Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
The payroll tax reduction was designed to be TEMPORARY. It was. That means when it expires the rates go up to the previous rate that was raised when that Marxist leader Ronald Reagan was President.

But overall, the payroll tax is regressive. It is capped at a higher income, which means that lower earning workers pay it on every dollar of income while higher earning workers pay it only up to a certain income and those that earn their income from investments do not pay it at all.

I am glad that you do not advocate regressive taxation.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
The only people so far not being adversely impacted by changes to "fix" the economy are those that are totally supported by government entitlement programs. I have an issue with that.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The only people so far not being adversely impacted by changes to "fix" the economy are those that are totally supported by government entitlement programs. I have an issue with that.
While that might sound right, it isn't. Most government entitlement programs are used by people who do work. Those that are totally supported by government entitlement programs are the elderly and the disabled, who are very much impacted by changes by Congress -- especially the GOP desire to slash Medicaid.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
While that might sound right, it isn't. Most government entitlement programs are used by people who do work. Those that are totally supported by government entitlement programs are the elderly and the disabled, who are very much impacted by changes by Congress -- especially the GOP desire to slash Medicaid.
I don't think he meant SSN or medicare. He is pointing to welfare: food stamp, medicaid, subsidize housing, etc.

Welfare is not going away, there are just too much money to be made. For example, if you work in HPD in a position to assignment public housing, you can easy get 30k to 50k per public apt.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The payroll tax reduction was designed to be TEMPORARY. It was. That means when it expires the rates go up to the previous rate that was raised when that Marxist leader Ronald Reagan was President.

But overall, the payroll tax is regressive. It is capped at a higher income, which means that lower earning workers pay it on every dollar of income while higher earning workers pay it only up to a certain income and those that earn their income from investments do not pay it at all.

I am glad that you do not advocate regressive taxation.
Just like the Bush tax cuts...

Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Just like the Bush tax cuts...
I know. The left somehow made it a point if the Bush tax cuts expired it's the same thing as "raising taxes".

It wasn't. The Bush tax cuts were temporarily with a sunset provision.

It's funny how one party spins tax cuts vs tax raises.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I don't think he meant SSN or medicare. He is pointing to welfare: food stamp, medicaid, subsidize housing, etc.

Welfare is not going away, there are just too much money to be made. For example, if you work in HPD in a position to assignment public housing, you can easy get 30k to 50k per public apt.
He also was specific "totally supported by government entitlement programs." Those that use welfare: food stamp, medicaid, subsidize housing, etc. are overwhelmingly the working poor.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I know. The left somehow made it a point if the Bush tax cuts expired it's the same thing as "raising taxes".

It wasn't. The Bush tax cuts were temporarily with a sunset provision.

It's funny how one party spins tax cuts vs tax raises.
Actually, it was the GOP making that argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies