Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Because when I see a 20 yr old kid in 7-11 buying an armload of candybars and a $6 gallon of milk, EBT card in hand, I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling Nancy Pelosi and the rest of you do.
Explain how that or some guy offering to pay for my groceries for 50% cash is good for the economy.
So your agaisnt a company charging $6 for milk? How much should they charge? Should the Federal Government put restrictions on what a private company can charge for milk? Should the government force them to charge $1.50 a gallon?

What would want the government to force 7-11 to charge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Yes, I know who bush is and what he did, thanks.I don't like him much either. He not the subject in this thread though, as far as addressing your underlying agenda.

Quote:
Because when I see a 20 yr old kid in 7-11 buying an armload of candybars and a $6 gallon of milk, EBT card in hand, I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling Nancy Pelosi and the rest of you do.
Explain how that or some guy offering to pay for my groceries for 50% cash is good for the economy.
Alright, which is it you're outraged about then?
Nancy Pelosi

$6.00 a gallon milk

EBT cards

Candy bars

7-11 stores gouging customers

Or, just warm n fuzziness

Old 02-09-2013, 04:15 AM

172 posts, read 151,707 times
Quote:
Even if I buy some guy's groceries for cash, paying with my EBT card?
WIN WIN situation!
Why don't they just bring dump trucks full of EBT cards to every town and throw them in the air like confetti?
That would be a swell idea, we'd be fixed in no time!
Plus food for all!
Many workers need assistance. Plus creating future patients with candy bars and milk.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,343,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Alright, which is it you're outraged about then?
Nancy Pelosi

$6.00 a gallon milk

EBT cards

Candy bars

7-11 stores gouging customers

Or, just warm n fuzziness
I was wondering' that too.....

Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Easy. Those who received food stamps, welfare, or unemployment are putting literally all of that money back into the economy. It's one of the best economic stimulus you can have.
It does not lead to economic growth and it is just a prop is this the type of economy that we should want? We have placed ourselves inside of a box, if you cut lets say 20 billion from EBT and half UE beni's to 30 billion that is 50 billion shaved off the economy. Which proves the economy is not as good as the happy talkers would have us think just look at the GDP numbers from year to year.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
it is just a prop
...and?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,365,792 times
Ask any father with a dependent in college who has a piece of plastic to pay for everything (instead of a job of some kind) helps the father's economic situation.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Most people aren't buying overpriced food like the person in your example and most people aren't selling food stamps.
The net effect of food stamps is that it results in approximately $1.73 in economic activity.

Non-refundable lump-sum tax rebate 1.02
Refundable lump-sum tax rebate 1.26

Temporary tax cuts
payroll tax holiday 1.29
Across the board tax cut 1.03
Accelerated depreciation 0.27

Permanent tax cuts
Extend alternative minimum tax patch 0.48
Make Bush income tax cuts permanent 0.29
Make dividend and capital gains tax cuts permanent 0.37
Cut in corporate tax rate 0.30

Spending Increases
Extending UI benefits 1.64
Temporary increase in food stamps 1.73
General aid to state governments 1.36
Increased infrastructure spending 1.59

http://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/do...mpact-2008.pdf
Policy Basics: Introduction to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Food stamps: The struggle to eat | The Economist

Quote:
So its better for the economy if I make less $ and go on food stamps?
Don't be stupid. If you are working and get laid off or hours are reduced then it is better for you to have foods stamps and eat than to not eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Ask any father with a dependent in college who has a piece of plastic to pay for everything (instead of a job of some kind) helps the father's economic situation.
We are talking about food stamps and the macro effect not the micro effect of privileged kids with daddy's' C.C.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
If the end result is you putting more money back into the economy, then yes.
Not if you have to borrow that money, to pay someone...

Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
EBT helps people get food, even food YOU don't think they should have. But I suppose the freedom of choice only applies to a certain group, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies