Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
They can control their behavior. Attraction is a natural urge. We have many urges. On a daily basis, I have to control like 100 different urges to get by.
So all gay men should choose to live their lives in complete and utter misery, never be happy, fulfilled or loved, all because society is too stupid to deal with the reality that gays exist and their attractions are natural?

Why should gays have to sacrifice their happiness and their lives for homophobes?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
They don't have to, they choose to. They are choosing to pursue a relationship they don't want. And beauty is not a valid comparison to a gay man with a straight woman.
My point re gay men: they choose to.

Btw, attraction is attraction. You either are or aren't.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
My point re gay men: they choose to.

Btw, attraction is attraction. You either are or aren't.
So you think a gay man marrying a straight woman is practical or stable? That will only end in divorce or adultery by both parties.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
So you think a gay man marrying a straight woman is practical or stable? That will only end in divorce or adultery by both parties.
Not always. Plenty of heterosexual couples end up with the same. You're missing the point btw.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I think the restaurant owner should be able to serve whomever he chooses.

I am half black.

So where does that leave your theory?
This is where it leaves it. If that same owner were to refuse you based on being half-Black, what would you do? How would that make you feel? Have you considered the history of maltreatment towards Blacks in this nation?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I didn't say public business.

I said private business.

Businesses are not public unless they are a public corporation.

I know what the law says. The Civil Rights Act, while morally correct, is unconstitutional...
The Civil Rights Act was to address things that prejudice people were doing that were unconstitutional. And think about this. You're half-Black? What would you do if the Civil Rights Act didn't exist? Last time I checked, anyone with one drop of Black blood in them is considered Black, so you would be treated just the same as a Black person who wasn't mixed. You would be treated horribly. Have you considered the kind of problems YOU would go through?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is where it leaves it. If that same owner were to refuse you based on being half-Black, what would you do? How would that make you feel? Have you considered the history of maltreatment towards Blacks in this nation?
I'd never go there and make sure everyone else knows about it.

Shrug, in the long run it would hurt the business more than me, especially nowadays.

The govt gave a rat's *** about black people. Just look at all the various things they have tried with the power of the CR Act and all the lawsuits that overturned these acts.

It was a federal power play in disguise as social justice. Wrapped in a nice little bow that no one would dare attack.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I'd never go there and make sure everyone else knows about it.

Shrug, in the long run it would hurt the business more than me, especially nowadays.

The govt gave a rat's *** about black people. Just look at all the various things they have tried with the power of the CR Act and all the lawsuits that overturned these acts.

It was a federal power play in disguise as social justice. Wrapped in a nice little bow that no one would dare attack.
The business might be private, but it is operating to public accomodation. You're part of the public aren't you?

As for the federal government, think about this. Federal government aided and abetted the discrimination problem by allowing local governments and businesses to discriminate. If the local government is failing to live up to treating its citizens fairly, then the feds should step in.

You're worried about the business being hurt more then you? I look at it like this. If that business is going to discriminate, then why should I care if that business gets shut down?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
The Civil Rights Act was to address things that prejudice people were doing that were unconstitutional. And think about this. You're half-Black? What would you do if the Civil Rights Act didn't exist? Last time I checked, anyone with one drop of Black blood in them is considered Black, so you would be treated just the same as a Black person who wasn't mixed. You would be treated horribly. Have you considered the kind of problems YOU would go through?
1) People can't behave unconstitutionally. The constitution limits government, not people.

2) Emotional argument again.

3) Plenty of people are discriminated against in thus country. Can you prove the CR Act did anything that wasn't going to happen anyways? And what has it done? Blacks are still arrested, incarcerated, marginalized and discriminated against more than any other group...

4) The federal government has no business telling private people and businesses who to serve. That is a state power at best. The Commerce Clause has been used for all sorts of dubious reasons

I suggest you actually read the cases and decisions and subsequent law suits...

Then read the Articles of Confederation, Constitution and the Federalist and Antifederalist Papers.

You'd be surprised and disappointed how far off the federal govt has strayed from what it was supposed to be...

Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
The business might be private, but it is operating to public accomodation. You're part of the public aren't you?

As for the federal government, think about this. Federal government aided and abetted the discrimination problem by allowing local governments and businesses to discriminate. If the local government is failing to live up to treating its citizens fairly, then the feds should step in.

You're worried about the business being hurt more then you? I look at it like this. If that business is going to discriminate, then why should I care if that business gets shut down?
1) Not all businesses are public accommodation.

2) It's not the federal government's job to regulate business or states. It's not even a power granted them by the constitution. That makes any attempt unconstitutional.

3) Which is why states are rebelling against the Affordable Healthcare Act and threats to gun rights by the federal govt...

Notice how Colorado legalized marijuana IN SPITE of the unconstitutional federal government ban on it.

In America states hold the power. The feds are limited. Not the other way around.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies