Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
So, what you are saying is that straight cadets shouldn't be allowed to bring a date to their dances either?

That might make for some interesting dances.
Nah, they just think it's "flaunting" when a gay person does it... the very definition of bigotry, but then they complain about "name-calling" when somebody points out that fact. Don't they see how hypocritical their attitudes are? Guess not.

FYI: Straight people flaunt their sexual orientation all the time, every day, without even realizing it. They wear wedding rings, talk of their children & spouses/partners, display photos on their desks, kiss each other in public, discuss last night's date, even cat-call a woman/man they find attractive. But heaven forbid a gay person does any of those things! Then they're accused of being explicit, and "getting in our faces with their sex lives." Such hypocrisy, I think I'd end up a basket case if I were gay and dealing with this nonsense. Seriously, I feel for all the gay folks out there.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
NO I would not be willing to have them as squad mates or leaders, especially in the infantry. The reason is feminizing combat troops (99.9% of women don't have the upper-body strength of men) would lead to a slaughter fest if they had to engage in hand to hand combat with the enemy on the front lines. Now that's just using good ole common sense.
I don't think you've encountered enough gay men, or you wouldn't be making such a sweeping statement.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nah, they just think it's "flaunting" when a gay person does it... the very definition of bigotry, but then they complain about "name-calling" when somebody points out that fact. Don't they see how hypocritical their attitudes are? Guess not.

FYI: Straight people flaunt their sexual orientation all the time, every day, without even realizing it. They wear wedding rings, talk of their children & spouses/partners, display photos on their desks, kiss each other in public, discuss last night's date, even cat-call a woman/man they find attractive. But heaven forbid a gay person does any of those things! Then they're accused of being explicit, and "getting in our faces with their sex lives." Such hypocrisy, I think I'd end up a basket case if I were gay and dealing with this nonsense. Seriously, I feel for all the gay folks out there.
I know.

What is considered normal and acceptable public displays of affection for straight couples - holding hands, kissing, a hug - just throws these people into a tizzy if a gay couples does it ("They're shoving it down our throats!").

It's pathetic.

What are they so afraid of?

Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Gay American soldiers, sailors and airmen are buried in military cemeteries all over the globe from Gettysburg to Arlington to Normandy to Manilla. They do not care that you are a homophobic hater. Neither did the men and women they fought beside.

I am grateful for their service.
Well spoken, and so true. Obviously, there have always been homosexuals in the military, in every conflict in which any nation has ever been involved.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Funny, homosexuality in the army sure didn't weaken Sparta's military.
Well, to be fair, the Spartan army was back in ancient times, more than 2,000 years ago.

I'll come up with a more recent example: the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) ... where being gay was no exemption from military service. The Israeli army is a force to be reckoned with, with it's gays and all.

... and that's the truth!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
[quote=GrandviewGloria;28170309].

... And I wonder why a well-built (and probably packin') cadet can't get a more desirable boyfriend than the slight and ultra-fey creature he's supposedly dating. Hot military guys usually date other hot military guys.

/quote]

GrandviewGloria, I usually don't agree with you, but on this point I'm with you 100%.

Hot military guys are better off dating other hot military guys.

I mean - look at the example of Bill Clinton: dontcha think if you are the President of the United States you could find a more attractive mistress than Monica Lewinsky???? Sheesh. If you are THE PRESIDENT your mistress should be some glamorous smokin' hot runway model? Capiche???

A West Pointer should be bringing some buff Adonis to the ball.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
"Don't ask, don't tell" was a good policy. If someone in the military was a homosexual, he kept it to himself and nothing came of it because nobody knew. Therefore it was irrelevant.

That's how it should be in ANY workplace.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,664 times
Aww..what a nice pic..I'm glad he's serving!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
"Don't ask, don't tell" was a good policy. If someone in the military was a homosexual, he kept it to himself and nothing came of it because nobody knew. Therefore it was irrelevant.

That's how it should be in ANY workplace.
The key word......some forget they are there to work. I could care less who their dating or not dating. Get the job done............

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The key word......some forget they are there to work. I could care less who their dating or not dating. Get the job done............
Do you and "statisticsnerd" think these rules should be applied equally to both gay & straight individuals? If so, that means no more wedding rings - also no more photos of your spouse or children, no talk of dates or significant others, no mentioning that you're pregnant (until necessary), no bringing SOs to office functions, etc. Then if we're going to reinstate DADT for ALL military personnel, that means we can discharge straight people if we find out they've got a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend at home (even if they didn't say anything themselves). Fair is fair, and I can only assume you'd be okay with these parameters. Right?

Trust me, if we were all forced to live by these rules, we'd be fired within a week! My co-workers know I'm dating somebody, so I've probably broken that rule many times by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies