Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Is this the right wing fantasy?

*Christianity is officially endorsed by Washington; all schools have public prayer.
*Those who are unable to work receive no financial support. Let them eat cake!
*All children are either home schooled or in private school.
*Bloody public executions are commonplace, even for property and drug crimes.
*Wal-Mart and Amazon are permitted to buy out every other retailer for the sake of free market principles.
*All illegal immigrants and Muslims are deported or put into concentration camps.
*Creationism is taught in schools as fact.
*Children as young as 3 years old carry concealed firearms with them everywhere they go.
*Everyone, male and female has to serve in the armed forces from age 18 to 22.
*The government's only purpose is defense and criminal justice.
*All the commons, including drinking water are privatized.
*Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death.
*Protesting on public land, or protecting our national parks is impossible because all land is privatized.
*Rumors of weaponry or lack of democracy are good enough reason for the US to invade a country.
As a moderate who isn't really happy with the state of the Republican party, I recognize this as a total strawman argument.

1. This depends on the person in question. I think by in large the right wants people to express themselves religiously however they want. Since we're a dominant Christian nation, that means that Christians can express themselves anywhere - including in the schools. I think some Christian conservatives want Christianity favored, but most know it already is.

2. I think there is an "other" component there. Most Republicans aren't talking about denying unemployment insurance to a hard worker or SNAP benefits and/or school lunches to otherwise hungry kids. I think they believe that there is this dependent class out there (which there is, but that by no means includes all or even many poor people) and that it is very large and influential (which it is not.)

3. No, but they do like those options.

4. No way, this is definitely a strawman argument.

5. Possibly, although I think most Republicans support small business as well, so I think they'd want to have entrepreneurs making it too.

6. I do think they want illegal immigrants deported (or at least they say they do.) I don't really think this is at outrageous as you're making it out to be. As for Muslims, I don't think they care much as long as they don't threaten them.

7. Some might think this, but I think more likely they want evolution and creationism taught side-by-side, and for students not to be forced to accept evolution as fact.

8. No. They just like firearms and think that they're incredibly useful. But there is a lot of unwarranted fear associated with the firearms culture.

9. I think this belief is more common amongst older people who lived during a time where young men were drafted to serve in the military, and think that young people who complain about life don't realize what they do have. Occasionally, you see this with military types who think they're special for serving. But I don't think this is a common belief for anybody under about 60.

10. There are a few others as well, but those are probably the main ones for them.

11. I highly doubt it.

12. I don't think most people on the right want homosexuality to be illegal. From what I can tell, there are some people on the right who truly believe it is sinful, some people who are homophobic enough that they feel the need to make gay people feel like second-class citizens, and some who could care less. By in large, though, I think most conservatives are against their warped version of the gay agenda, which is basically what they see in pride parades. But overall, I think they just want gay people to keep quiet about it.

13. No.

14. I'm not entirely sure what the criteria for invading a country is, but it's not something most people on the right want to do very often. In fact, they criticize the left for invading other countries when it's convenient. It's mostly about looking good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Fourteen Words
Indeed!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What a load of BS. Why are liberals such loons?

Simple.

They cannot use logic to defend their true agenda (abortion for any reason, homosexual marriage, public school indoctrination, insane deficit spending, etc.) so they argue against make believe conservative positions.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Simple.

They cannot use logic to defend their true agenda (abortion for any reason, homosexual marriage, public school indoctrination, insane deficit spending, etc.) so they argue against make believe conservative positions.
its funny you argue about insane deficit spending, because the last 3 republican presidents sure as hell didn't do anything to bring down spending.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
its funny you argue about insane deficit spending, because the last 3 republican presidents sure as hell didn't do anything to bring down spending.

And neither is the current DEMOCRAT in office. See, more proof that the 2 parties are no different.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Fourteen Words
What 14 words(I have a feeling I might know what they are, but you're being vague about it)??

Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
And Obama said raising the debt ceiling is unpatriotic, then raised the debt ceiling. He said the individual mandate wasn't a tax, then defended it in the Supreme Court on the basis that it was a tax. He complained Bush's deficits were too high, then doubled them when he got in office.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What a load of BS. Why are liberals such loons?
I sure hope he does not represent any liberals and what they think. If so than they are wackos and we have more to worry about than we think.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And Obama said raising the debt ceiling is unpatriotic, then raised the debt ceiling. He said the individual mandate wasn't a tax, then defended it in the Supreme Court on the basis that it was a tax. He complained Bush's deficits were too high, then doubled them when he got in office.
We know what Obama is about to do, don't we. He will speak against something, than do it.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 AM

510 posts, read 430,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Is there really a reason for this post? I don't see one thing on this list that has anything to do with what anyone wants truthfully and I think you know this?
It really points out how absolutely batsh*t insane the average Jon Stewart/Colbert/MSNBC watching Liberal has become. Totally, utterly bonkers... And convinced that their enemies are unspeakably evil villains unworthy of political legitimacy.

They're drinking the Koolaid straight from the firehose.

They have become what they most feared; mindless puppets to an elite class bent on dividing America for it's own gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies