Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Human beings make assumptions all the time to go about living. It's a natural part of our state. Refusing to make assumptions also tells me something about that person.
That's irrelevant to the point. Your assuming describes you, good or bad. It is what it is. With that said, it's the height of ignorance to form opinions when you lack information.
Quote:
I can understand every parent's desire for their baby to be healthy. But when the baby isn't, it isn't their choice to end it. We're all dying. Some people die in a couple days, some many years. Either way we're all terminally ill and in charge of when we live and die.
Actually, it is often a family's choice to end a life. Those sad decisions are made everyday - legally of course. We made that decision with my twin (grown adult). He could have lived with artificial assistance for the long term. We decided against it and ultimately made the decision that would bring about his death. That's the way it is and should be; a family's responsibility. If a baby would suffer horribly and die soon after birth (if s/he could be birthed) it's up to the parents to decide a course of action. It's their responsibility, their resources to extend extreme measures to prolong the life of their baby, they will be the ones to watch their baby suffer. I don't think your assumptions that you always know what is best for everyone else under any circumstance is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
An article with very little information, from an anti-abortion site. Nothing to comment on until the actual facts come out.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
No it didn't. You responded to something clearly different.

Scenario 1: Woman is at risk of dying from a pregnancy.

Scenario 2: Woman aborts baby because baby itself won't be healthy.

Try harder to be intelligent next time.
In the first place how did you get the facts that were omitted in the OP link. There are no details of any kind to draw a conclusion on. This story might be fabricated anyway. No "intelligent" person makes the assumptions that you did without facts.

My link clearly showed that when the choice is not left to the discretion of the mother/family, an avoidable tragedy can occur. It does not matter that it was in Ireland as opposed to the USA due to the fact that the radical right wing would be very happy to have this type of law here as the last campaign season has demonstrated.

In the case of a sick unborn, it should only be in the mother's hands to decide whether or not she wants bring a child/baby into the world that is destined to suffer and anyone that does not understand that human right is lacking in empathy and no amount of decrying to be "pro-life" can cover up for that lack of empathy.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 02-10-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Ireland is a different animal than the United States. Hospitals should always save life, in this case that of the mother. That's not an issue here. What we have here isn't a woman going to a hospital for life threatening emergency but plotting to circumvent state law by visiting a notorious clinic. Her risk cost her her life.
"We" don't know that! A "reliable anonymous source" in other words a coward, pronounced the woman 33 wks pregnant.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's irrelevant to the point. Your assuming describes you, good or bad. It is what it is. With that said, it's the height of ignorance to form opinions when you lack information.
I have plenty enough information to form an opinion. I have information that she traveled out of state for an abortion to a notorious clinic specializing in late term abortions. I have the piece of information that she aborted a 33 week old baby. Sure the information could be false, I'm assuming it's true. But we have to assume to form an opinion on anything. The fact you demand such a strict non-judgmental stance on this issue tells enough about your state of mind to this woman and her choice.

Quote:
Actually, it is often a family's choice to end a life. Those sad decisions are made everyday - legally of course. We made that decision with my twin (grown adult). He could have lived with artificial assistance for the long term. We decided against it and ultimately made the decision that would bring about his death. That's the way it is and should be; a family's responsibility. If a baby would suffer horribly and die soon after birth (if s/he could be birthed) it's up to the parents to decide a course of action. It's their responsibility, their resources to extend extreme measures to prolong the life of their baby, they will be the ones to watch their baby suffer. I don't think your assumptions that you always know what is best for everyone else under any circumstance is reasonable.
Cutting life support is one thing, but killing a baby in anticipation that it will be on life support when born is another. Even cutting life support is not fully up to the family in every situation.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"We" don't know that! A "reliable anonymous source" in other words a coward, pronounced the woman 33 wks pregnant.
We don't know that Lanza shot up Newton either. Unless you were there, we both rely on sources. Some sources are more credible than others, but in the end it comes down to what you choose to believe. What you choose to believe is inspired by the reality you want around you.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
I have plenty enough information to form an opinion. I have information that she traveled out of state for an abortion to a notorious clinic specializing in late term abortions. I have the piece of information that she aborted a 33 week old baby. Sure the information could be false, I'm assuming it's true. But we have to assume to form an opinion on anything. The fact you demand such a strict non-judgmental stance on this issue tells enough about your state of mind to this woman and her choice.
None of us have any information at this point. My state of mind always calls to refrain from forming opinions when I don't have access to the data, which I don't in this case. Frankly, people finding themselves in anger and throwing their fists in the air over a story that has no facts is just a matter of emotional masturbation, nothing more.
Quote:
Cutting life support is one thing, but killing a baby in anticipation that it will be on life support when born is another.
Not really. Choosing not to feed a patient, give life saving drugs, life support or what have you are all decisions to end a life. And premies that are born are certainly going to have intervention. To the best of my knowledge it's off to the NICU, correct? I can't say if that's always the best course of action. Btw, there is good reason why you ignored the reality of that post about the Irish woman. It's doesn't fit into your framework, which is clearly one of naivety and lack of life experience.
Quote:
Even cutting life support is not fully up to the family in every situation.
Every situation will vary. In ours his doctors asked us what we wanted to do. Keep him alive or have him die. He could have awoken from the coma. People do all the time. He had a strong heart, his body was ready to stay alive. But, it was our decision to make because we were the one's with all the information, nobody else.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
None of us have any information at this point. My state of mind always calls to refrain from forming opinions when I don't have access to the data, which I don't in this case. Frankly, people finding themselves in anger and throwing their fists in the air over a story that has no facts is just a matter of emotional masturbation, nothing more.
We both have information. You don't want to believe. That's really what separates us.

Quote:
Not really. Choosing not to feed a patient, give life saving drugs, life support or what have you are all decisions to end a life. And premies that are born are certainly going to have intervention. To the best of my knowledge it's off to the NICU, correct? I can't say if that's always the best course of action. Btw, there is good reason why you ignored the reality of that post about the Irish woman. It's doesn't fit into your framework, which is clearly one of naivety and lack of life experience.
The Irish woman doesn't fit into my narrative because she lives in a country with entirely different laws. We're not going to play the 'life experiences' or 'naivety' game trust me on this, you will lose. Anyways, going by your logic you lack any information on the Irish woman. Just a source that here you assumed to be true.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
We don't know that Lanza shot up Newton either. Unless you were there, we both rely on sources. Some sources are more credible than others, but in the end it comes down to what you choose to believe. What you choose to believe is inspired by the reality you want around you.
Oh, BS! This has not come out on any news service other than pro-life websites that I am aware of.

I saw Elvis at church this morning.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Not that any of this, or what goes on between a woman's legs, is any business of yours. Just saying'.
Well, I am a woman.... And I have had 2 miscarriages in the last year, one at 6 weeks and one at 15-16 weeks, so this is a sensitive subject to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies