Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So any idiot that think any normal person, pro choice or not, is for abortion at 33 weeks are out of your damn minds. At 33 weeks, it is a full blown baby.

Why did she do it? Did they even try to save the baby or were they determent to abort it? IS that even legal? We are not talking a 6 week embryo here, but a whole baby.
Perhaps you could do a little research before determining that it was for "convenience".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The baby had a number of "fetal abnormalities," which goes way beyond being "not healthy."
That really could mean just about anything.

Quote:
You and your pro-life posse are much like the Westboro Baptist zealots, aren't you? You stand around in a virtual circles, point fingers and chant condemnations without knowing one damn actual fact. You call a woman who terminates a much wanted pregnancy at 33 weeks (with the full support of her family) a murderer, without knowing any of the circumstances. Some of you applaud her death. What is wrong with you people???
Carhart is the murderer, she's just a selfish woman who paid for it. If anyone needs to be aborted, it's Carhart.

Btw, I'm not pro-life. Maybe a better characterization is I'm pro innocent life. As to Carhart, I'd be damn fine seeing him aborted.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The baby's name? I'm confused...

The woman's name was published. The rest is nobody's business and not open for public discussion unless the family decides to make it so. And that's kind of the whole point to RvW isn't it? These things ARE NOT up for public vote.
Here's a quote from that link.

“Carhart’s alleged victims were 29-year-old Jennifer McKenna Morbelli, pictured right, and her 33-week-old preborn daughter, Madison Leigh,” Stanek reports. “I have confirmed the identities of the victims through two sources. After a name ID was received from an impeccable informant, sidewalk counselors at the abortion clinic positively identified Jennifer’s obituary photo. Jennifer’s obituary also states she “passed away suddenly.”

Now this all may be the truth, but we still don't know for sure.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't know why she had the abortion but I do know the abortion was about making sure the baby died. IF her life were in danger, they would not have made her go to another state. They would have delivered the baby but then the baby might have lived. She didn't want that, hence, the driving out of state to have an abortion.

This is not about saving her life. It was about eliminating the possibility the baby would be born alive. Her motive for that, I don't know but I know that was the intent of driving out of state to have an abortion.

Just read the follow up. She chose to terminate a defective baby rather than deliver it to see if it would live. That was her choice. I'm relieved to see that the abortion method was lethal injection to the heart given the baby can feel pain at that late stage. At least the baby didn't suffer long.

I find it ironic that they are burying her with her "daughter". The child she had killed. I would have expected them to throw her body out in the trash like they do other abortions. Why treat this one like it was a baby when it was ok to kill it just days ago?
You don't know any of the above, including the bold. Perhaps this was the closest provider (she didn't live *that* far away, many people in CO travel that far in-state for health care) who could do what she needed. You're also way confusing what was going on. She apparently hemorrhaged AFTER the abortion. Her life was not in danger until then. This is the same thing that happened to me after delivering my first child. I was reading up on what happened to me, and I nearly died, literally. One of my sources said the hemorrhage isn't always apparent until the patient has lost a lot of blood.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't know why she had the abortion but I do know the abortion was about making sure the baby died. IF her life were in danger, they would not have made her go to another state. They would have delivered the baby but then the baby might have lived. She didn't want that, hence, the driving out of state to have an abortion.

This is not about saving her life. It was about eliminating the possibility the baby would be born alive. Her motive for that, I don't know but I know that was the intent of driving out of state to have an abortion.

Just read the follow up. She chose to terminate a defective baby rather than deliver it to see if it would live. That was her choice. I'm relieved to see that the abortion method was lethal injection to the heart given the baby can feel pain at that late stage. At least the baby didn't suffer long.

I find it ironic that they are burying her with her "daughter". The child she had killed. I would have expected them to throw her body out in the trash like they do other abortions. Why treat this one like it was a baby when it was ok to kill it just days ago?
How is it ironic? If I knew my daughter would cruelly suffer I would consider ending her life, although I would not choose to end her life to save my own. As I have repeatedly stated, I don't understand the dark assumptions of many in this thread. That's a heavy lens in which to view the world.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
We're not allowed to make our own decision on who lives and who dies in this society except our own life (and really, the law says we can't decide that either, but it's really toothless).

So no, the mother can't make that choice once the baby is at a certain stage. Just like I can't make a choice to put a bullet through your face. Legally that is. It's no longer just her body when the baby is 33 weeks. If the baby is going to come out that malformed, it will die shortly after and she can try again.
A woman in NY can make that choice at 33 weeks If her life is at risk. In Maryland, she also can make the choice to abort after viability if the fetus is affected by a genetic defect or serious deformity or abnormality.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
A woman in NY can make that choice at 33 weeks If her life is at risk. In Maryland, she also can make the choice to abort after viability if the fetus is affected by a genetic defect or serious deformity or abnormality.
Many people think the Maryland law is wrong. Thirty three weeks is almost born. Even if the mother just found out about the abnormality, which is doubtful that if it is so bad it took that long to show up, it's just too late. It would be very sad and traumatic to abort at that stage under any circumstances and it is less of a choice if it is to save the mother's life.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Many people think the Maryland law is wrong. Thirty three weeks is almost born. Even if the mother just found out about the abnormality, which is doubtful that if it is so bad it took that long to show up, it's just too late. It would be very sad and traumatic to abort at that stage under any circumstances and it is less of a choice if it is to save the mother's life.
And what credentials do you have to say that? I personally know of a couple who had a baby with anencephaly (literally, no brain, although that's not entirely accurate). They did not know this until the baby was born. The child died shortly thereafter. They got pregnant again, and the docs said the first child's condition was just a random event, would not happen again. WRONG! At delivery, the second one was anencephalic as well. The second baby died, too. They went on to adopt.

ADD: The first baby, at least, was born before the days of routine ultrasounds. By the second, ultrasound was becoming more common.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It mentioned she went to another state to get her abortion. Since abortion to save the mother is legal in every state and will even be done in the ER, logic says this abortion wasn't done for purely medical reasons.
Just because it's legal doesn't mean that there's a doctor who performs the procedure available. VERY VERY few doctors perform late-term abortions.

She found out two weeks ago that the very much wanted baby had fetal abnormalities and an abortion was required. She didn't decide she didn't want this baby. She decided to follow medical advice that would hopefully save her life even if it didn't save the very much loved baby's life. Unfortunately, both she and the baby didn't make it.

My heart goes out to her family which is grief-stricken, and likely horrified about the comments of pro-lifers like yourself who so quickly condemn the women involved in these situations.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just because it's legal doesn't mean that there's a doctor who performs the procedure available. VERY VERY few doctors perform late-term abortions.
If this was about saving the mother's life, she would not go out of state (close to 300 miles) to get this procedure. She would go to the local ER like she did after this abortion. This was about aborting her baby which was unwanted due to some abnormalities.

Quote:
My heart goes out to her family which is grief-stricken, and likely horrified about the comments of pro-lifers like yourself who so quickly condemn the women involved in these situations.
You can save me your fake tears. I'm not a man easily moved by political tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies