Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM

361 posts, read 271,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So, I went looking for some of this media hatred, etc. that so many in this thread are sure would occur directly after the speech and, have to say, I didn't find anything from the usual "liberal" sources, but, I did find this, from a very conservative source.

"I am no fan of the president's policies, but the National Prayer Breakfast is billed as one of the few nonpolitical events in a very political city.
His remarks were inappropriate for the occasion. It would have been just as inappropriate had he praised the president's policies. The president had a right to expect a different message about another Kingdom. "

Dr. Ben Carson should apologize to President Obama | Fox News

With that noted, it seems to me that all of these new-found supporters are using Dr. Carson as the vehicle for their own dislike, maybe even hatred, of the president's policies. Had he adhered to the structure of the day, most would not have even noticed that he was the key-note speaker. The fact that they want to now use this man for their own purposes just comes across as crass and self-serving. It is an insult to what he has accomplished and is cheapened even further by his, as characterized in the link above, "doing "victory laps"" due to the response.
Of course, this too shall pass, though I find it extremely unfortunate that people seem so willing to sell themselves and their integrity for that 15 minutes.
Democrat Jan Schakowsky strikes back at Dr. Ben Carson for prayer breakfast speech - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Ben Carson: Speech only 'offensive if you're an ideologue' | The Daily Caller
TheDC: Are there any politicians who are currently in office who speak eloquently to the ideals that you have?
BC: I certainly like Marco Rubio. I think he’s a very, very rational individual. But I’m sure there are many rational people on both sides of the aisle. And one of the things that I would hope that the controversy that has been stirred up here will help us to understand is that a house divided against itself cannot stand.
And we need to be asking ourselves questions like, “What is the problem that we’re trying to solve?”
So if we’re trying to solve a horrible budgetary deficit, then we should say, “How do you solve that problem? Do we spend more money? Do we do more stimulus?”
Well, if you’re going to do more stimulus, you have to ask yourself, “Where does that money come from?” Either it comes from borrowing, because we don’t have the money, or it comes from more taxes. In either case, we’re taking money out of a productive segment and putting it into government. That doesn’t make any sense.
[LEFT]

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,099,349 times
Lol, I guess he didn't look hard enough.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,597,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
so basicly i should not like Ben Carson can someone please explain why?
Who is saying that you shouldn't like him?

The man has done much that is worthy of admiration. However, his professional accomplishments are not what have gotten him noticed in this instance. Oh, no. What has gotten him attention, is behaving badly, or at the very least, unprofessionally for the circumstances.

Why this should make him "heroic" or elevate him to instant cult status is simply beyond me.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Who is saying that you shouldn't like him?

The man has done much that is worthy of admiration. However, his professional accomplishments are not what have gotten him noticed in this instance. Oh, no. What has gotten him attention, is behaving badly, or at the very least, unprofessionally for the circumstances.

Why this should make him "heroic" or elevate him to instant cult status is simply beyond me.
So nobody who loved his speech cares and respects all of the same things about him that you do? Im pretty sure all his accomplishments is exactly whats making him such an impressive person. This speech just gave him more attention

Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Since when is the Washington Times liberal?

And, since when is Jan Schakowsky a member of the liberal media?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Since when is the Washington Times liberal?

And, since when is Jan Schakowsky a member of the liberal media?
so democrats don't count as people on the left anymore?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM

15,072 posts, read 6,107,558 times
It's too bad that Ben Carson's speech is being so politicized and "racialized."

Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
So nobody who loved his speech cares and respects all of the same things about him that you do? Im pretty sure all his accomplishments is exactly whats making him such an impressive person. This speech just gave him more attention
Way to miss the point.

Clearly, you choose not to recognize that if Dr. Carson had not stepped outside the boundaries of what is usual and expected for this event, you and others would have had no opportunity to advance his agenda as your own. It would have been just another Prayer Breakfast and Dr. Carson wouldn't have been a blip on your radar.

I understand that there are those who believe that bad behavior should be rewarded, particularly if it suits one's owns purposes.
Someday, maybe people will be mature enough to admit to same.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Way to miss the point.

Clearly, you choose not to recognize that if Dr. Carson had not stepped outside the boundaries of what is usual and expected for this event, you and others would have absolutely no interest in advancing his agenda as your own.

I understand that there are those who believe that bad behavior should be rewarded, particularly if it suits one's owns purposes.
Someday, maybe people will be mature enough to admit to same.
No then id probably say hes a great doctor with a very inspiring life story. Id respect his charity work. He decided to give the speech he gave in front of the president its not my fault for taking notice. Hes a very intelligent man im pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies