Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Try me....
The Taliban has attempted to erase history through violence and threats of violence.

Taliban attempt to erase Pakistan's Buddhist heritage - Jihad Watch

The sound minded are opposed to monuments, parks, etc. being named after Klans men and racist. People who are prime examples of what not to do and how not to think. But here’s the contrast! Opposing park names that celebrate racist heroes isn’t a revision of history. It’s opposition to glorification of white supremacy! Parks shouldn't be named after Klans men but these individuals shouldn’t be removed from history books. Generations from now people need to learn about the hate and suffering ignorance caused…

Is there anything else you would like me to educate you on? I’m only here to help…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
The things is, I will be honest, I haven't really heard of this guy before, the name sounded kind of familiar.

This thread got me to google him and read a little about him and of course his wikipage. There are lots of historical figures out there that I think its great things like parks are named after them. So people can see it, and go research the history and learn, Good, bad, ugly or whatever history was with it.

Some interesting things I saw, he started poor made his own fortune, made it to an officer starting as a private with no formal military education(pretty uncommon for then) Was a relatively successful general. I posted a quote of his after the war which seemed pretty good. I always like learning about local history and understanding the past.

I fear this...

People singing commercials ("Demolition man" society) - YouTube
Did you read how he ordered his troops to murder hundreds of mostly black Union prisoners?

Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
The things is, I will be honest, I haven't really heard of this guy before, the name sounded kind of familiar.

This thread got me to google him and read a little about him and of course his wikipage. There are lots of historical figures out there that I think its great things like parks are named after them. So people can see it, and go research the history and learn, Good, bad, ugly or whatever history was with it.

Some interesting things I saw, he started poor made his own fortune, made it to an officer starting as a private with no formal military education(pretty uncommon for then) Was a relatively successful general. I posted a quote of his after the war which seemed pretty good. I always like learning about local history and understanding the past.

I fear this...

People singing commercials ("Demolition man" society) - YouTube
Actually he made his fortune before the war - as a slave trader.

Just sayin'.

Maybe he saw the error of his ways as an old man after the Civil War. I sincerely hope so. However, he is being lauded as a Civil War hero, not as a civil rights leader.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Did you read how he ordered his troops to murder hundreds of mostly black Union prisoners?
Troops who had already surrendered.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If a park had been named after Castro, and then some time later that name was changed because it wasn't "politically correct", then I would be protesting the name change.
why would Memphis have a park named after Castro to begin with? Not sure the Cuban-Americans really care for him either. Also, it depends on which Castro you are talking about because there are more than one famously known Castro in the world.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I agree - which is why the person who used that as an example was being ridiculous and absurd.

Seems like some people want to deflect by talking about Hitler and Castro rather than the issue.
Then why do you keep mentioning Hitler and Castro in your own posts? Talk about the issue at hand if you want to talk about it and stop deflecting.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
why would Memphis have a park named after Castro to begin with? Not sure the Cuban-Americans really care for him either. Also, it depends on which Castro you are talking about because there are more than one famously known Castro in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then why do you keep mentioning Hitler and Castro in your own posts? Talk about the issue at hand if you want to talk about it and stop deflecting.
Sigh - you really ought to read the thread before posting - it would help you seem less ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Precisely. I take it you would have no problem with "Fidel Castro Municipal Park" in Miami, named after a person who has had a profound effect on South Florida? Just think of all the good Cuban-Americans who never would have ended up benefiting American society had it not been for Fidel.
I was responding to cometclear's post which you can find on page 5 of this thread.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Hitler and Forrest were both white supremacist who directly or indirectly terrorized/murder human beings. You didn't know?
Forrest was a racist in a time where everyone was racist. Hitler came to prominence almost a century later under different racial circumstances, and to top that off, Forrest never advocated ethnic cleansing.

Quote:
Unsubstantiated malarky your shoving at us bucko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Troops who had already surrendered.
Read it and weep:

Forrest of Fort Pillow (Book Excerpt)

Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Actually I read that he ordered his troops to murder hundreds of Union prisoners, and alot happened to be black. It was war, lots of horrible things like that happened in the south, and unfortuneately as you are on the losing side you start getting desperate, especially when you barely have the resources to feed and care for your own military.

Was it wrong? Yes.

but do we need to get into all the historic figures that did lots of horrible things? Own slaves? The Trail of tears? Other major things? Yet they are "remembered" in much bigger ways then some park in Tennessee. Some of their faces are on our currency.

But we will just ignore that stuff, and censor people out of our history.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Forrest was a racist in a time where everyone was racist. Hitler came to prominence almost a century later under different racial circumstances, and to top that off, Forrest never advocated ethnic cleansing.

Unsubstantiated malarky your shoving at us bucko.

Read it and weep:

Forrest of Fort Pillow (Book Excerpt)
White supremacy was ramped but everyone was not racist. This claim is contrary to the facts. There is historical record of people [white people] fighting against those with his views...

So yes! Hitler as well as Forest were white supremacist... And no revisions of history will change those facts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies