Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

I call BS.

Show me a Republican who has fought against the Mortgage interest deduction?

Show me a republican who has been trying to eliminate sallie mae and freddie mac?

none? Or just a few fringes?

The heart of the issue is the deduction and the creation of 30 year loans (with as little as 5-10% down). Everything else is lighter fluid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
[URL="http://www.examiner.com/article/new-study-confirms-economy-was-destroyed-by-democrat-policies"]New study confirms economy was destroyed by Democrat policies - National Conservative | Examiner.com[/URL]

Who came up with the crazy idea you could sell houses to people too poor to keep them? Geesh.

I don't know why these men aren't in jail.

President Bush [URL="http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2008/09/bush-called-for-reform-of-fannie-mae/"]went[/URL] to Congress repeatedly for years warning them that [URL="http://www.examiner.com/topic/fannie-mae"]Fannie Mae[/URL] and Freddie Mac were going to destroy the economy (17 times in 2008 alone). [URL="http://www.examiner.com/topic/democrats"]Democrats[/URL] continuously ignored him, shut down his proposals along party lines and continued [URL="http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/07/top-senate-recipients-of-fanni.html"]raiding[/URL] the institutions for campaign contributions on their way down.
There was never any doubt amongst non-biased, well-informed thinking people as tot he true cause of our budgetary and economic woes.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I call BS.

Show me a republican who has been trying to eliminate sallie mae and freddie mac?

The heart of the issue is the deduction and the creation of 30 year loans (with as little as 5-10% down). Everything else is lighter fluid.
I see you BS and call BS on your silly post. More like silly inane folderal with side-order of BS, though.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I call BS.

Ron Paul was fringe, wasn't he...
The man has been right about all his views. It is well documented.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
It took me a while to locate this gem that appeared in Barrons in 9/2008 relative to the cause of the melt down:

A Memo Found in the Street - Barrons.com

Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's why Glass-Steagall was put in place. But that got repealed..remember ?

There's plenty wrong when the government tells you to count unemployment as money coming in to qualify for a loan. Geeze..that should be obvious to anyone.
Greenspan temorarily gave the grreen light to the Citibank/Travelers merger and then held a gun to the head of Congress.

The portion of Glass Stegall that was repealed leveled the playing field between U.S. banks and its global counterparts who had no such restrictions. If the absence of this regulation was the primary cause of all that followed, banks all over the world would have self destructed, a long time ago.

A more substantial piece of this puzzle was the amount of leverage the big 5 players had over all other investment bankers. They Goldman, Merril, Morgan Stanley, Bear and Lehman lobied to change the Net Capital Rule as it related to their interests.

The SEC's 2004 decision to change its Net Capital Rules and allow some investment bankers to borrow 30X their net capital and a failure to regulate those entities was another contributing factor in what followed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

I posted this in November 2008, a week after the election. Most people have probably forgotten about it by now.
Again, If the only thing hitting the fan was a huge bunch of sub primes mortgages gone bad, the banking system could have absorbed the losses and moved on.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As of this writing (Feb. 2013), there are still no plans to repeal any of the legislation that triggered the risky lending and, eventually, the crash and recession we are still suffering from.
You don't hear anyone in DC demanding reform. And yet, generally speaking, high risk mortgage lending self retired. Ask anyone who is trying to get a mortgage, right now.

Having said this, the risky whole loan mortgage was one small piece of the puzzle.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You guys had a chance at a man that would do everything he could to fix it all.
Ron Paul
That pesky "selling of all federal land" thing, is a hard swallow for me.

The back off on defense makes it a non -starter for others.

If he had, by some fluke, been elected, he might have had a unifying effect on both chambers, not necessarily favoring any of his initiatives.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
When's the last time a republican president balanced the budget, or did anything besides implement more huge government and spending ourselves into oblivion?
Q: Eisenhower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies