Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
This is absolutely true, from the count I keep, anyway.

And it's always the same people. They don't want a discussion, and their minds will never change, so it's useless arguing with them. I find myself, however, responding to their inane bigotry now and then, because it's fun to get under their skin.

Not ONE of them, by the way, has directly answered the question: what business is it of yours who marries whom ?
Well, I have finally figured out that you can't fix stupid and that the most rabid bigots on this forum will never accept the fact that same sex couples are marrying legally and sometimes even in - gasp! - churches.

But I have been pleased to see a few of our fellow City Data members evolve; I have actually seen a few who a year ago were some of the most outspoken against marriage equality now say they don't care. They may not actually embrace it but they see the writing on the wall and pretty much have come around to the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude.

And, for those who continue to say they won't "accept" same sex couples marrying, the fact is, to some degree, they do have to accept it. Maybe not in their own lives, and they may not like it, but in the eyes of the law, where marriage equality is legal, they do have to accept it.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, I have finally figured out that you can't fix stupid and that the most rabid bigots on this forum will never accept the fact that same sex couples are marrying legally and sometimes even in - gasp! - churches.

But I have been pleased to see a few of our fellow City Data members evolve; I have actually seen a few who a year ago were some of the most outspoken against marriage equality now say they don't care. They may not actually embrace it but they see the writing on the wall and pretty much have come around to the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude.

And, for those who continue to say they won't "accept" same sex couples marrying, the fact is, to some degree, they do have to accept it. Maybe not in their own lives, and they may not like it, but in the eyes of the law, where marriage equality is legal, they do have to accept it.
Most people in this country live in a state where same sex marriage is not recognized and that will be true for most americans throughout their life time.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-04-2013 at 05:29 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I shall pray for you.

Maybe even sacrifice a goat.

Hey! No goats!

Sacrifice a bigot or something, but please, no goats!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Most people in this country live in a state where same sex marriage is not recognized and that will be true for most americans throughout their life time.
Based on how the high court rules in two different cases coming before them this spring, that could change real fast.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-04-2013 at 05:29 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Based on how the high court rules in two different cases coming before them this spring, that could change real fast.
All you can hope there is for incremental changes (i.e throw away California's ban) but the court won't override the other 30+ states with bans. We can have a bet, do you want to link paypals?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Quote:

That's hilarious!!

Do you realize that in California the GOP is abandoning the anti gay ship and have climbed aboard with the majority that demands the removal of prop-8????

SCOTUS is going to hear arguments concerning Same Sex Marriage shortly, The Defense Of Marriage Act will be struck down as unconstitutional and most predict that even if SCOTUS rules to allow states to decide SSM that most states will have it as their law of the land in under five years.

The millennial generation is ensuring that this will be finished shortly.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-04-2013 at 05:30 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
All you can hope there is for incremental changes (i.e throw away California's ban) but the court won't override the other 30+ states with bans. We can have a bet, do you want to link paypals?
I agree the court will not override the states where it has been banned. However if section three of DOMA is overturned, then gay couples married in the states were it is legal will now be recognized by the FEDS. If one of those couples then moves to a state that does not recognize their marriage, the FED recognition will remain. Imagine the confusion and mess that will cause. So truth be it, the DOMA case is much more critical then the Prop 8 case.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
That's hilarious!!

Do you realize that in California the GOP is abandoning the anti gay ship and have climbed aboard with the majority that demands the removal of prop-8????

SCOTUS is going to hear arguments concerning Same Sex Marriage shortly, The Defense Of Marriage Act will be struck down as unconstitutional and most predict that even if SCOTUS rules to allow states to decide SSM that most states will have it as their law of the land in under five years.

The millennial generation is ensuring that this will be finished shortly.
The millennial generation is also ensuring that the USA is going to be finished as a preeminent world power in the next couple decades and perhaps even a USA that doesn't exist anymore.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I agree the court will not override the states where it has been banned. However if section three of DOMA is overturned, then gay couples married in the states were it is legal will now be recognized by the FEDS. If one of those couples then moves to a state that does not recognize their marriage, the FED recognition will remain. Imagine the confusion and mess that will cause. So truth be it, the DOMA case is much more critical then the Prop 8 case.
States in turn will respond with some legislation if this is the case. Until the Supreme Court rules that states have no right not to recognize gay marriage, this will be a long bitter road of tit for tat legislation.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
"Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it." -- St Augustine of Hippo
Someone else who "believed" in something that doesn't exist.
Hatred is always wrong, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies