Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
How many kids actually have 2 parents at home? How many kids have seen a parent read a book or even a newspaper? My 35 years of working in heavy industry has maybe skewed my outlook a little but I think the #1 reason that these kids don`t know very much is because their parents don`t know very much and their expectations for their children are low.Someone blaming unions for the stupidity of their kid is just...stupid.
Your point is illogical since we all have ignorant ancestors in our lineage. Dunbar HS taunt the children of newly freed slaves and achieved great results. It's about values and hard work. The welfare state has undermined that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Charter schools' success is very mixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
New data indicates that Charter Schools are generally NOT cutting it; article here.

Excerpts:

"Despite a growing number of studies showing that charter schools are generally no better β€” and often are worse β€” than their traditional counterparts, the state and local agencies and organizations that grant the charters have been increasingly hesitant to shut down schools, even those that continue to perform abysmally for years on end."

"That is the clear message of continuing analysis from the Center for Research on Education Outcomes at Stanford University, which tracks student performance in 25 states. In 2009, its large-scale study showed that only 17 percent of charter schools provided a better education than traditional schools, and 37 percent actually offered children a worse education."

Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Go to a random charter school and ask a teacher how much they like working there.

I have been in education a long time and rarely do I meet a charter school teacher that doesn't want out. Demoralizing work environments are bad enough in the "real world". In a school, they are devastating. If the OP actually did his research,he would see that tons of charters fail. This despite the fact that charter schools have much more power to throw out disruptive students (a huge advantage charter advocates never bring up because they know it's a huge advantage). If I am a principal at a regular district, I don't have the option of bringing the parents and kids into my office to intimidate them into leaving. This happens often, especially amongst the Turkish charters. This is how they get such high test scores. In Texas, people are starting to catch on to this. Unfortunately, Perry is in bed with the Turks, so they get away with it.

Also, one really has to wonder if these schools are so great, why are they never in wealthier neighborhoods?

I know the answer. Do you?
Perry in bed with the Turks? I thought he was a racist republican? These so-called charters are sill state regulated.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If the state of education in the US is the fault of teacher unions, how do you explain the same broken system in states that do not have teacher unions ?
What state is that?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I think it's all about the education system where you live. The school my son attends now - is leaps and bounds over his school in our previous state. I have no complaints. Tons of opportunities for AP classes, Honors studies; IB programs.

But - the school is larger with thousands of students - taxes are higher - and teacher's are better paid. It makes a difference. The teacher's are, for the most part, younger and more enthusiatic.

I do not have a problem with teacher unions per se - but I don't see the school system ridding itself of the 'poor performers' like what happens in private industry. I would like to see more of that; however it happens. It was one of the problems in our old state.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's the GOP, they keep screwing up the gene pool by dumping out countless redneck babies. Just look at honey boo-boo.
Judging by your posts I'd say the lefts gene pool is just as screwed up.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Go to a random charter school and ask a teacher how much they like working there.

I have been in education a long time and rarely do I meet a charter school teacher that doesn't want out. Demoralizing work environments are bad enough in the "real world". In a school, they are devastating. If the OP actually did his research,he would see that tons of charters fail. This despite the fact that charter schools have much more power to throw out disruptive students (a huge advantage charter advocates never bring up because they know it's a huge advantage). If I am a principal at a regular district, I don't have the option of bringing the parents and kids into my office to intimidate them into leaving. This happens often, especially amongst the Turkish charters. This is how they get such high test scores. In Texas, people are starting to catch on to this. Unfortunately, Perry is in bed with the Turks, so they get away with it.

Also, one really has to wonder if these schools are so great, why are they never in wealthier neighborhoods?

I know the answer. Do you?
Because schools in wealthy neighborhoods are already good. Wealth = good public schools.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
What state is that?
Really ? What state does not have a teacher's union ?
More like states (plural).

Do you think every state has a teacher's union ?
Google is your friend. Go read up on teacher unions and which states have them.

Right to Work states is what you're looking for.

http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm

Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because schools in wealthy neighborhoods are already good. Wealth = good public schools.
Yes and if they pull their kid out of public school it's usually for them to go to private school.
These neighborhoods do not need charter schools.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Then why not bus in some kids to wealthier schools? It makes much more sense to do this as opposed to taking tax money away from schools who need it the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies