Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What industries do they work in??

As a business owner, I have little sympathy. I had to risk everything just to hope to break even. I'm tired of people feeling entitled to certain paychecks. With that said, i believe our culture has become entirely too greedy in general.

If people knew what it really meant to make a buck on your own accord then they wouldn't complain so much about their paychecks.

I support Occupy Wall Street.

First, please stop believing what you read in the paper about federal workers. The GOP has been on a campaign for the last 4 years to discredit them. Most federal workers, at least the ones I work with, do not feel "entitled" to certain paychecks. In fact, very few of them have even complained about the pay freeze. Oh sure, we've talked about the financial hardships like everyone else has, but not one feels "entitled" to things, especially in the ruinous economy that started in 2007. We all saw that slide into a deep hole.

Many federal workers, including myself, have spent a lot of time working in the private sector. I spent 20 years in the private sector. My entire office was previous private sector workers. They were recruited into the government for their talent.

As a business owner, you knowingly take risks. If your risks pay off, you usually end up making quite a windfall. Not everyone has the stomach for that. Many people enter the public sector because it is steady and secure. In return for that, they generally take a lower rate of pay for the long-term security.

I am a person who rode the wave...I worked for the private sector when I could make more cash in the private sector. I eschewed the government job when it didn't pay well. There have been people who have been there a long time because they didn't like the risk of private sector work, which has big payoffs when it's very, very good. No one ever complained when the economy was gangbusters and private sector employees were making money hand over fist. In fact, the government couldn't even attract folks in to work so they did have to make some adjustments in pay to get talent. Now that private sector is/was down, everyone's complaining. Because you are correct--they are greedy and want it all. Now that they can't get their private sector windfalls, they don't want anyone else to be "stable." It's a race to the bottom.

Having said all that, this is the UNION that is pushing for more money. That is their job. Most government workers would be happy with any morsel thrown at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
This.

It's a recession. Nobody is getting raises. Federal employees are no different. Financially and benefits wise they're a lot better off than most Americans.

Maybe people will actually start thinking about the root causes of our economic situation now. Now that everyone is feeling the pressure.
ESPECIALLY when the talk is that they MUST raise taxes, or we'll run out of money. Really? Raise MY taxes so YOU can get a raise? Nope. You can do what other companies do that are running in the red - tighten your belt and make sacrifices.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Federal workers work harder than people in the private sector and for much less pay and benefits.

That's a fact that can't be disputed.
Uh, not, it's not a fact. Especially the "work harder" part. You're joking, right?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Uh, not, it's not a fact. Especially the "work harder" part. You're joking, right?

We all have our anectdotal stories. I can tell you that my office works our butts off and we work a LOT harder than our contractor "counterparts." I've hired 4 of them into my office and after several weeks on the job, they are amazed at the amount of work and the lack of downtime they have during the day. No more time for Starbucks run, no more banking in the middle of the day, no more long lunches like they are used to.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Government workers work during blizzards, tornadoes and hurricanes for next to nothing. While the private sector is on the ski slopes or the beach, government workers are toiling for America.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,643 times
There is no right for governmental employees to bargain for more of the taxpayers money. The issue is that "public employees" typically cannot last in the private sector, so they gravitate towards other groups of losers and degenerates.....namely unions and the public sector.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
most federal emploees are UNDERPAID

those in the EXECUTIVE LEVELS are overpaid

Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
There is no right for governmental employees to bargain for more of the taxpayers money. The issue is that "public employees" typically cannot last in the private sector, so they gravitate towards other groups of losers and degenerates.....namely unions and the public sector.
link to support you theory???

Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post

Please. I'm finding the opposite to be true in my area.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Federal workers work harder than people in the private sector and for much less pay and benefits.

That's a fact that can't be disputed.
"That's a fact that can't be disputed"

Having worked as much in the private sector as I did with Uncle Sam, IMO, you are full .....

Thereare many on both side that work hard and many on both sides that do NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies