Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:50 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,435,546 times

Advertisements

I have always loved the look of the Confederate Battle Flag. It's grand looking and it makes southerners feel proud of their heritage. Unfortunately the flag was taken down but I think it should have remained for historical purposes. There is nothing wrong with that flag.

http://www.revisionisthistory.org/im...nfederates.JPG

Confederate flag mistakenly raised over Mississippi Supreme Court | Fox News

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-11-2013 at 03:59 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Most of my southern ancestors who fought under that flag were not fighting for the right to own slaves (most of them didn't own slaves). That being said, many of my AA neighbors were enslaved legally by under the laws of the Confederacy. I do not blame them for being offended by this flag.

The flag is divisive and unnecessarily inflammatory. There is simply no need to display it on buildings and sites that are supported by tax payer dollars. Feel free to display it on your porch or your bumper sticker if you like, or on the signage of the business that you own, but I do not believe it should be displayed by government entities.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,629,456 times
Its an unwinning battle...

On group's ignorance and unwillingness to be open to different things, does not allow the Confederate flag to be flown around government buildings.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,435,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most of my southern ancestors who fought under that flag were not fighting for the right to own slaves (most of them didn't own slaves). That being said, many of my AA neighbors were enslaved legally by under the laws of the Confederacy. I do not blame them for being offended by this flag.

The flag is divisive and unnecessarily inflammatory. There is simply no need to display it on buildings and sites that are supported by tax payer dollars. Feel free to display it on your porch or your bumper sticker if you like, or on the signage of the business that you own, but I do not believe it should be displayed by government entities.
What is the problem with the Confederate flag? Slavery was brought to North American by the British. Then became part of the U.S. upon Independence under the U.S flag. Slavery was under the U.S. flag through the Civil War to include under the Emancipation Proc where States in rebellion were denied the right to have slaves while other States that supported the Union were allowed to have slavery. Under one of President Lincoln's plans to buy out the plantation owners slaves Slavery would have lasted until 1900 by some estimates. After the Civil War some former slaves were "forced" to work for former owners for $10 later for $7 per month. Union troops rode guard over the former slaves to keep them working on plantations. Jim Crow laws were under U.S. flag, even today any pay gap, education gap, jobs denied are all under the U.S. flag. So, I ask again, What is the problem with the Confederate flag when all started and continued under the U.S. flag???

Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times

Mistakenly?

Ya right!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,623,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
What is the problem with the Confederate flag? Slavery was brought to North American by the British. Then became part of the U.S. upon Independence under the U.S flag. Slavery was under the U.S. flag through the Civil War to include under the Emancipation Proc where States in rebellion were denied the right to have slaves while other States that supported the Union were allowed to have slavery. Under one of President Lincoln's plans to buy out the plantation owners slaves Slavery would have lasted until 1900 by some estimates. After the Civil War some former slaves were "forced" to work for former owners for $10 later for $7 per month. Union troops rode guard over the former slaves to keep them working on plantations. Jim Crow laws were under U.S. flag, even today any pay gap, education gap, jobs denied are all under the U.S. flag. So, I ask again, What is the problem with the Confederate flag when all started and continued under the U.S. flag???
Oh, nothing's wrong with it if you forget that it symbolizes the Civil War, when half the country wanted to withdrawal from the Union, and of course, slavery.

Let me ask, would you buy a person today if you could?
What if it was you who were being sold, would that be OK with you?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,049,604 times
I have nothing against the Confederate Flag. I have nothing against losers painting a great big "L" on their foreheads either.

Just sayin'.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
We have a US flag with fifty stars on it. That flag flew for the first time in 1960 - well after the Civil War, Reconstruction, etc.

Our US history has it's shining moral successes, and it's shames. One inescapable, and inexcusable, stain on our nation's history is the institution of slavery. The Confederates fought for states' rights, and they fought to protect their own homes and livelihoods - and they also fought to retain a system of slavery and oppression for people of color. Much of their economic livelihood as a region relied on this system.

That's not saying that everything the US flag has stood for is noble - I can think of episodes of genocide against native Americans. Child labor in wretched factories and coal mines in the Northeast. Women not being allowed to vote. Ridiculous Prohibition. Wars and military actions that weren't in our best interests as a nation.

But the Stars and Stripes do represent the UNITY of our nation - all fifty states. Our mutual goodwill toward each other in spite of differences and flaws. The Confederate flag does not represent this, though it may well represent many honorable ideals to some Americans. It also represents slavery to many Americans - whether it does to you or not.

Don't get me wrong - as a white southerner, I see the Confederate flag and immediately think of home, and iced tea, and big porches, and friendly faces of every color and hue, and chicken and dumplings and church dinners and long lazy summer afternoons and fireflies in the moonlight and the music of the cicadas in the moss covered trees. I don't think of slavery.

But other American southerners do. And we have to live together.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM

17,700 posts, read 13,559,539 times
Quote:
What is the problem with the Confederate flag?

Funny, sounds like you feel about the Confederate flag like I do about cannibals.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,753,102 times
I love that the state of Mississippi is the only state that still has the stars and bars a part of their state flag still. Allowed their people to vote on it and it stayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.