Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times

Advertisements

The other team has free candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The answer is pretty simple actually, it's been overwhelmed and outnumbered by those who have no concept of what true conservatism is about while at the same time it's been attacked by those who despise everything that true conservatism is about.

It's quite hard to convince people who have no work ethic or sense of responsibility that the right way to live is one where you take care of yourself and you don't live with your hand out all the time.

When you have an entire generation of ungrateful, unappreciative fools being raised by a public education system and mainstream media system that does nothing but expound how "hateful" conservatives are what do you expect them to become?

It doesn't matter that being a true conservative doesn't have anything to do with being a racist, homophobe, bigot, whatever the liberals continually paint conservatives to be. When you are bombarded with the same lies every day you begin to believe them.
This is a pretty good post, but with all due respect, the bolded is the same garbage we seem to hear from conservatives all the time. Everyone who is not a Southern Baptist is somehow a layabout leech. That is the same crap Romney got called out on. Not only is it offensive, it just ain't true. I have worked hard all my life, put myself through school, and most of my friends are the same way. We don't use the safety net, but one day we might need it. No, old white guys are not the only hardworking people in our society. Get out in the field with a Mexican immigrant, or work 16 hours a day with a Vietnamese immigrant, or spend years crunching differential equations with a scientist in training. All of those folks lean democrat, and none are remotely lazy. I would never call conservatives a bunch of criminals or cheats, but conservatives spew this stuff bout dems all the time. It is just hypocrisy.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This is a pretty good post, but with all due respect, the bolded is the same garbage we seem to hear from conservatives all the time. Everyone who is not a Southern Baptist is...
Let me stop your little rant right there, I didn't say anything about religion. I didn't relate anything to religion, I'm not a religious guy and my post had nothing to do with any religion whatsoever.

I'm talking about conservatism, not religious conservatism.

Carry on.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Let me stop your little rant right there, I didn't say anything about religion. I didn't relate anything to religion, I'm not a religious guy and my post had nothing to do with any religion whatsoever.

I'm talking about conservatism, not religious conservatism.

Carry on.
Ok, fair enough. But this whole thing that we are a bunch of sponges is completely lame. It is why the GOP lost this year. It seems like today's conservatives hate everyone else, and most of their complaints are fabricated. Too damn much talk radio, I'd guess.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Ok, fair enough. But this whole thing that we are a bunch of sponges is completely lame. It is why the GOP lost this year. It seems like today's conservatives hate everyone else, and most of their complaints are fabricated. Too damn much talk radio, I'd guess.
I don't hate anyone and I don't listen to talk radio. The GOP lost this year because they didn't get as many votes as Dems did, it's just that simple. That doesn't mean that Dems are right and Reps are wrong, it just means one group got more votes than the other. To me, it's clear that a large number of Dem voters support the group that they feel will help continue their reliance on the government.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
at one point they abandoned their party plank. austerity.
it became a dirty word.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Today's GOP can be summed up as socially conservative and fiscally moderate (it IS better than it was under Bush when they were no different from Democrats on fiscal issues). What Millennials are looking for in a conservative party is fiscal conservatism but socially liberal i.e. pro gay marriage. We are probably still a few election cycles away from that becoming a possibility.
What exactly is fiscal conservatism ?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
I don't hate anyone and I don't listen to talk radio. The GOP lost this year because they didn't get as many votes as Dems did, it's just that simple. That doesn't mean that Dems are right and Reps are wrong, it just means one group got more votes than the other. To me, it's clear that a large number of Dem voters support the group that they feel will help continue their reliance on the government.
I highly doubt someone who doesnt listen to talk radio or FOX news would convey the "lazy liberal" line

also Yes, Dems did get more votes, many of those votes came from Moderates who did see it as Obama's plans for this nation being better.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
This canard that everyone is on the take is bogus. Who benefitted most from the bail outs in 2008? Fat cat republicans. Which states take more receipts than they return to the treasury? Yep, good old red states. So, the stench of hypocrisy is a bit sickening. Enough with all the insults against your fellow citizens. The government is not the bogeyman, and folks who disagree with you are not parasites. Sure, some dems are scoundrels, but that applies to plenty of conservatives too. I'd guess most of us on both sides just want competent leaders who don't talk out their azzes all the time.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 02-10-2013 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The Republican party of Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and George Bush doubled down on using white resentment to maintain its power not realizing that the group that they thought they could manipulate would rise up and conduct a palace coup. They created the monster and like Dr. Frankenstein the monster eventually destroyed its creator.
Not quite yet. The panicky doctor is still holding the monster at bay with his torch, but that fire could die at any time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies