Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times

Advertisements

Regarding points 1 and 2, why have I not heard one single gun grabber come out and address these? I've heard plenty about #3 in this list (background checks, see link), and of course those evil assault rifles, but nothing about the first two, which based on my research completely dwarf all else, as far as criminals having access to guns is concerned.

Quote:
Corrupt federally licensed gun dealers: Federally licensed gun dealers send more guns to the criminal market than any other single source. Nearly 60% of the guns used in crime are traced back to a small number—just 1.2%—of crooked gun dealers.

Straw purchasing: Straw purchasing is the most common way criminals get guns, accounting for almost 50% of trafficking investigations. A straw purchaser is someone with a clean record who buys guns on behalf of someone legally prohibited from possessing guns.
What we're looking at here is enforcement of current laws, plain and simple. It's staring you in the face. The VAST majority of gun crime is committed by people who already can not own guns under current law, acquired through the sources above. And you don't need to tell me that the ATF's hands are tied. I know they are. But if that's really your concern, why do I not hear about it? Ever.

My theory? It's not about solutions, it's about a nice tidy package that you can push through. That's the most easy and efficient way feel good about yourself, actual results be damned, and it doesn't require any actual thinking. Thinking makes the brain hurt after all. YMMV.

Fact Sheet: Illegal gun trafficking arms criminals & youth « Gun Victims Action Council
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Regarding points 1 and 2, why have I not heard one single gun grabber come out and address these? I've heard plenty about #3 in this list (background checks, see link), and of course those evil assault rifles, but nothing about the first two, which based on my research completely dwarf all else, as far as criminals having access to guns is concerned.

What we're looking at here is enforcement of current laws, plain and simple. It's staring you in the face. The VAST majority of gun crime is committed by people who already can not own guns under current law, acquired through the sources above. And you don't need to tell me that the ATF's hands are tied. I know they are. But if that's really your concern, why do I not hear about it? Ever.

My theory? It's not about solutions, it's about a nice tidy package that you can push through. That's the most easy and efficient way feel good about yourself, actual results be damned, and it doesn't require any actual thinking. Thinking makes the brain hurt after all. YMMV.

Fact Sheet: Illegal gun trafficking arms criminals & youth « Gun Victims Action Council
Preaching to the choir, Johns Hopkins and the others have brought up this issue. It isn't clear if those 1% have been shutdown or just changed hands. There are 65,000 FFL's and current ATF staff can only inspect around 1 FFL every 10 years. Only 17 states license firearmn dealers, many have no security requirements, even when they find a dealer that should be shut down it can be tied up in the courts for years. Definitely one area for improvement.

Journal Articles & Book Chapters - Publications - Center for Gun Policy and Research - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
What we're looking at here is enforcement of current laws, plain and simple.
Good, I'm all for it. Now just tell the NRA to stop putting up road blocks that keep the police from finding and prosecuting those illegal gun sales and shutting down those dealers who profit from those types of sales.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Good, I'm all for it. Now just tell the NRA to stop putting up road blocks that keep the police from finding and prosecuting those illegal gun sales and shutting down those dealers who profit from those types of sales.

Supporting evidence please.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Supporting evidence please.
The ATF's hands have been tied for quite some time to deal with these problems, at least to a certain extent. That's a fact, and I am very pro-2a.

My problem is that I don't see anyone, even the most vehement anti gun violence crowd, doing anything about it or even mentioning it.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
The ATF's hands have been tied for quite some time to deal with these problems, at least to a certain extent. That's a fact, and I am very pro-2a.

My problem is that I don't see anyone, even the most vehement anti gun violence crowd, doing anything about it or even mentioning it.
There are some congressmen that have gone out of their way to make sure the ATF is incapable of enforcement as is the case with Todd Tiahrt from Kansas. All brought to you by the NRA's man of the year, seems like this should be an area for middle ground for both sides.

Quote:
The Tiahrt Amendments, named for their original sponsor, U.S. Representative Todd Tiahrt (R-KS), are provisions attached to federal spending bills that make it harder for law enforcement officers to aggressively pursue criminals who buy and sell illegal guns. Since it was formed in 2006, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has been fighting to reform the Tiahrt Amendments.
In 2007, hundreds of mayors joined with 30 national and state law enforcement organizations to wage a campaign against the Tiahrt restrictions. The campaign's efforts helped to defeat proposals that would have made the restrictions even worse, and also secured certain improvements to the Tiahrt amendments in the FY 2008 appropriations bill. In 2009, mayors and police chiefs successfully pushed revisions to the Tiahrt language in the FY 2010 appropriations bill, which restored full access to crime gun trace data for state and local law enforcement.
Read the May 7, 2009 Statement of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Co-Chairs on the Tiahrt reforms in the FY 2010 appropriations bill
While the changes made in 2007 and 2009 are a step in the right direction, many of the anti-police provisions in the Amendments remain in place. For example, the Tiahrt provisions still block ATF from requiring gun dealers to conduct inventory checks to detect loss and theft, which law enforcement says is a dangerous back channel source for criminals who are in the market for illegal guns.
How Tiahrt Harms Law Enforcement

While some components of the Tiahrt Amendments were improved in 2007 and 2009, several damaging provisions continue to tie the hands of law enforcement.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns - Tiahrt Amendment Facts: History and Effect
  • NICS background check records are still destroyed within 24 hours:
    The Tiahrt Amendments require the Justice Department to destroy the record of a buyer whose NICS background check was approved within 24 hours. This makes it harder to catch law-breaking gun dealers who falsify their records, and it makes it more difficult to identify and track straw purchasers who buy guns on behalf of criminals who wouldn't be able to pass a background check.
  • ATF still does not have the power to require dealer inventory checks to detect lost and stolen guns:
    While dealers must notify ATF if they discover that guns from their inventories have been lost or stolen, the Tiahrt Amendments prevent ATF from requiring gun dealers to conduct annual physical inventory checks to detect losses and thefts. ATF reported that in 2007 it found 30,000 guns missing from dealer inventories based on its inspection of just 9.3% of gun dealers.
  • State and local authorities are still restricted from using trace data to fully investigate corrupt gun dealers and traffickers:
    While the FY 2010 appropriations language restores full access to crime gun trace data for state and local law enforcement, the Tiahrt Amendments continue to restrict what state and local law enforcement can do with trace data they have gathered. For example, state and local law enforcement are still prohibited from using trace data in civil proceedings to suspend or revoke the license of a gun dealer who was caught breaking the law.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are some congressmen that have gone out of their way to make sure the ATF is incapable of enforcement as is the case with Todd Tiahrt from Kansas. All brought to you by the NRA's man of the year, seems like this should be an area for middle ground for both sides.
I've read a bit about this but I'm glad to have more info thanks for the links.

I think any two rational people should agree that when 60% of guns used in crimes come from 1.2% of dealers, that's easily #1 on the priority list for dealing with gun crime. This is something that can be addressed with absolutely zero inconvenience to any law abiding gun owners, and a hell of a lot more effectiveness than any type of selective weapons ban.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Why are you peddling the same lies over and over again? You know repeating the lie 1000 times doesn't make it true. I already debunked this you for many times but you just refuse to accept the truth.

NICS background check records are still destroyed within 24 hours:

Why does the government need this information? This is a private information that belongs to the lawful gun owners. They, the lawful gun owners, didn't break any law. There's no reason for the government to have this information WITHOUT the due process of the law, and it should be kept as private just like your medical records.

ATF still does not have the power to require dealer inventory checks to detect lost and stolen guns:

How does the Tiahrt Amendment prevents ATF from requiring gun dealers to conduct annual inventory check? You can't lodge an baseless accusation.

State and local authorities are still restricted from using trace data to fully investigate corrupt gun dealers and traffickers:

No law enforcement should be given access to that data without due process of the law. Which part of that do you NOT understand? If there is a genuine case, they can go through a judge and get a warrant to get such access.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
360million in circulation, u can buy em u can steal em, but either way plenty to be had. the current attempt to control guns is like trying to hold a monopoly on ocean water.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

They get them in home robberies, when nobody is home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies