Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That's the Somalia option.

Shooting the police will probably make them worse. Not a good solution to the problem.

I suppose this is yet another area in which we could take a few hints from Brits and Europeans. The Brits don't even carry guns on the street, they keep 'em at the station. Yet I'm fairly sure they don't have the problems with police brutality that we have.
The PATROL coos don't carry guns but they have armed squads all over the city that can respond nearly as fast as the regular cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Heres one sheriff that should of been fired yrs ago. Instead hes sheriff of the year. Unbelievable !!!
Badge of dishonor? Lee Baca named national Sheriff of the Year: Opinion - LA Daily News
That's insane. Sherrif Joe gets my vote. Nobody has gotten more scrutiny than him, and he still comes out on top. He's also gotten more death threats than any other. Hail the king of law and order! The threats come from Obots, even his inmates respect him.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
There's a march going on locally in response to a man who was shot by an off-duty police officer after an argument. Apparently the man who was was pretty well respected and the community is standing by him to make sure justice is served. The young man shot was running for city council apparently.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Like lots of things in life, law enforcement is not perfect - but it's better than no law enforcement. There really isn't any middle ground, you either have it with psychological pressures to abuse power, or you don't have it and become subject to being ruled by gangs and overlords. USA or Somalia, take your pick.

Very good point and well taken. Lot lots of things in life, we get stuck with a lot of the bad, and do put up with it.

Bad cops, bad politicians, screw it for the good guys. Can you imagine if there were no law enforcement. Right there is no middle ground. Just like politics which seems to fly only one way. Any one who does abuse there power, is wrong.

And others sit back and let it happen go figure.

I know many good cops, outstanding at what they do, they too, know that the bad mess it up for thsoe who follow the rules. Just as in politics, some make up their own damn rules!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:53 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It makes me think that they are the ones that should have magazine limits.
Why do cops like to kick suspects? I assume they are issued steel-toed boots, because of the damage inflicted.
What good is it to pay fireman to stand and watch a fire burn?
This is why I think the more local the better. Our fireman and law enforcement should have to reside in the community they serve and those communities need to be a lot smaller, like 10 mile radius or something along those lines. Community volunteers welcome.
In some cities they did enforce that. I know in Pittsburgh the Firemen had to live within the city limits, the policemen union fought it for awhile, I don't know if they do it now. I have always felt that the policemen should live in the neighborhoods that they are assigned to.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Why is it that it seems like the NFL does a more complete background check before drafting a person then some police depts do in hiring recruits?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
In some cities they did enforce that. I know in Pittsburgh the Firemen had to live within the city limits, the policemen union fought it for awhile, I don't know if they do it now. I have always felt that the policemen should live in the neighborhoods that they are assigned to.
I remember some noise about that in the Bay Area. They complained that they needed a raise to live in the area. I would solve that problem by recruiting those that already live there, or can afford to live in the area on the salary offered. If that's not good enough, we citizens should have a plan B, like an armed militia that can detain and arrest, on call. That could work for small communities.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I remember some noise about that in the Bay Area. They complained that they needed a raise to live in the area. I would solve that problem by recruiting those that already live there, or can afford to live in the area on the salary offered. If that's not good enough, we citizens should have a plan B, like an armed militia that can detain and arrest, on call. That could work for small communities.
That is true, but who would moniter the small militias when they become unlawful posses?

Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
I just think we need cuts to our forces. End the Drug War. Those two things can save cities lots of money. Officers are often paid $60,000+ a year. Cut 3 or 4 of them and you have funding for new city projects or money to put back into the budget. It won't save millions, but hundreds of thousands. Could work for smaller cities who have bloated forces.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I just think we need cuts to our forces. End the Drug War. Those two things can save cities lots of money. Officers are often paid $60,000+ a year. Cut 3 or 4 of them and you have funding for new city projects or money to put back into the budget. It won't save millions, but hundreds of thousands. Could work for smaller cities who have bloated forces.
Ending the drugwar is the key, and would save millions if not billions. Not to mention lives saved. We may even get to close some prisons.
Protecting the second amendment is part of that. People can protect themselves and their property against addicts that need to steal to maintain their habits. They would either die or cleanup. We would also have to address the welfare problem of supporting addicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies