Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And we don't need to require background checks for people to purchase guns?
I don't believe that anyone responsible and in their right mind has espoused that. Of course, those two descriptions do not include Leland Yee, and he's a child psychologist. Lord help the parents and their children.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Apparently state senator Leland Yee has recieved death threats before, but none like this one that stated via email, "if I did not cease efforts to deal with gun violence, that he would assassinate me in or around the Capitol. He stated that he was a trained sniper." Turns out he's also a 45 year old Silicon Valley engineer who was former employed by Apple, Inc and whose name is Everett Basham. Yee said that in the email this man wrote that "he could in fact identify a target two miles away and that you may not know that he is watching you, and he could take you out that way."

As a young property manager, I had a death threat made against me that was credible enough for me to go straight to the police station... it was regarding an eviction and the person being evicted was quite unstable... would drink all the time. Even backed into my car and the police said it was a civil matter because it was on private property. Person licensed had been revoked and was driving a car with no insurance or current tag.

Police informed me there was nothing they could do on the threat unless I could convince a judge to grant a restraining order... other than that, I was told it was just someone expressing free speech... both orally and in writing. Also nothing they could do about the vehicle damage because it was on private property.

That episode taught me there is only so much the law can or will do... at least for a private citizen.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As a young property manager, I had a death threat made against me that was credible enough for me to go straight to the police station... it was regarding an eviction and the person being evicted was quite unstable... would drink all the time. Even backed into my car and the police said it was a civil matter because it was on private property. Person licensed had been revoked and was driving a car with no insurance or current tag.

Police informed me there was nothing they could do on the threat unless I could convince a judge to grant a restraining order... other than that, I was told it was just someone expressing free speech... both orally and in writing. Also nothing they could do about the vehicle damage because it was on private property.

That episode taught me there is only so much the law can or will do... at least for a private citizen.
Interesting. But I wonder in what way that influences your position on gun control? Real question.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:

Yep , put senator in front of your name and it's a different ballgame. As a property manager I served 3 day notices to some pretty sketchy tenants. One got an ex con and ex gold gloves champion from San Quentin as a roommate. The other started dating a con from San Quentin that was pretty big since all he did for years was lift weights until he got out. A third tenant was a wanna be biker. I remember serving him the notice in his garage and after handing it to him I noticed he has a sawed off shotgun hanging from a shelf right over his head easily within reach. So I know how you felt. Sometimes you wonder if the law is geared in favor more towards the criminals.

Although Nullgeo didn't ask me, this happened about 20 years ago. I didn't own guns and honestly if you would have asked me if we should ban all guns, I probably would have said go for it. In hindsight I wish I would have had a firearm with me back then since I lived a few hundred feet away from all three and thought they might come to my house in retaliation.

As I said in another thread I had never so much as touched a gun or fired one for 53 years of my life. Not even a bb gun. After the instability of society after Katrina in NO and with all the crazies around, I got into guns. I'd have to say it's been a culmination of life that has changed me. I don't want to see banning or guns or mags, but definitely see the need to prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands. Straw man purchases should carry very heavy penalties. I think more money should be spent on figuring out how to treat people deemed as unstable and not just push them off to the side and forgotten. Not just for the sake of them getting a firearm, but to help them and society.

It might be me, but it seems 90% of all the shootings I hear about is gang related somehow. I think we need to put way more effort onto putting them out of business.

Last edited by aslowdodge; 02-15-2013 at 10:25 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Yep , put senator in front of your name and it's a different ballgame. As a property manager I served 3 day notices to some pretty sketchy tenants. One got an ex con and ex gold gloves champion from San Quentin as a roommate. The other started dating a con from San Quentin that was pretty big since all he did for years was lift weights until he got out. A third tenant was a wanna be biker. I remember serving him the notice in his garage and after handing it to him I noticed he has a sawed off shotgun hanging from a shelf right over his head easily within reach. So I know how you felt. Sometimes you wonder if the law is geared in favor more towards the criminals.

Although Nullgeo didn't ask me, this happened about 20 years ago. I didn't own guns and honestly if you would have asked me if we should ban all guns, I probably would have said go for it. In hindsight I wish I would have had a firearm with me back then since I lived a few hundred feet away from all three and thought they might come to my house in retaliation.

Well, there you go ... you wish you woulda had a firearm with you ... even though as it turns out there was no such confrontation and you didn't need one ... then, or later.

"Oh, but I coulda needed one!" And that, folks, is exactly how lots of firearm deaths occur. Their very presence tempts all kinds of behaviors -- from the "law-abiding" just like from the criminals.

You like stories? Here's one from me: From time to time I visit the son of one of my best friends. The young man is in jail doing 30 - life. He grew up buddies with my boys. His dad was Marine RECON in Vietnam ... my squadron covered his unit for an insertion one night even ... we all were close as family. The kid was no gang-banger ... but he liked his dope. He went to buy one night and took a handgun with him for protection. The seller called him a ni**er at one point and the kid pulled and shot three times. He bought himself a first-degree conviction because it was considered a weapons murder in the course of a robbery -- even though he wasn't robbing the seller. Couldn't beat the prosecutor's presentation.

My sons used to visit but they stopped. They apologized but said it was too depressing to see him there. The kid's response? "Good. I will miss seeing them. But it's good they feel that way about this place. It'll keep them out." His father? Died two years ago while the son was in prison. Couldn't even go to dad's funeral.

But all you good, properly trained gun lovers wouldn't ever make a mistake. You'd never lose your temper. Never shoot the wrong person in the dark. You know too much. You have too much respect for firearms.

Retired cop kills son
Fell asleep, thought he was an intruder
October 10, 2012|By Rosemary R. Sobol and Jeremy Gorner, Chicago Tribune reporters

A retired Chicago homicide detective fatally shot his son after apparently mistaking him for an intruder in his Northwest Side apartment

Retired Chicago police homicide detective fatally shoots son, police and family say. - Chicago Tribune

Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, there you go ... you wish you woulda had a firearm with you ... even though as it turns out there was no such confrontation and you didn't need one ... then, or later.

"Oh, but I coulda needed one!" And that, folks, is exactly how lots of firearm deaths occur. Their very presence tempts all kinds of behaviors -- from the "law-abiding" just like from the criminals.

You like stories? Here's one from me: From time to time I visit the son of one of my best friends. The young man is in jail doing 30 - life. He grew up buddies with my boys. His dad was Marine RECON in Vietnam ... my squadron covered his unit for an insertion one night even ... we all were close as family. The kid was no gang-banger ... but he liked his dope. He went to buy one night and took a handgun with him for protection. The seller called him a ni**er at one point and the kid pulled and shot three times. He bought himself a first-degree conviction because it was considered a weapons murder in the course of a robbery -- even though he wasn't robbing the seller. Couldn't beat the prosecutor's presentation.

My sons used to visit but they stopped. They apologized but said it was too depressing to see him there. The kid's response? "Good. I will miss seeing them. But it's good they feel that way about this place. It'll keep them out." His father? Died two years ago while the son was in prison. Couldn't even go to dad's funeral.

But all you good, properly trained gun lovers wouldn't ever make a mistake. You'd never lose your temper. Never shoot the wrong person in the dark. You know too much. You have too much respect for firearms.

Retired cop kills son
Fell asleep, thought he was an intruder
October 10, 2012|By Rosemary R. Sobol and Jeremy Gorner, Chicago Tribune reporters

A retired Chicago homicide detective fatally shot his son after apparently mistaking him for an intruder in his Northwest Side apartment

Retired Chicago police homicide detective fatally shoots son, police and family say. - Chicago Tribune

Yes, nothing happened so you get to have your brownie points on the score against gun owners. Of course it could have easily gone the other way too. If that happened then a gun advocate would gotten the brownie points. I thought Nullgeo was just curious on why people believed they should own a gun or not based on events happening to them. I just chimed in on why I switched my stance. I see now see Nullgeo was just baiting the other poster to say something where he could might have an opportunity proudly demonstrate how right he is and how morally superior he is above everyone else.

You make inferences that "good, properly trained gun lovers wouldn't ever make a mistake" Now you are just making things up. I don't recall anyone here saying that accidents will never happen.
In the case of the retired cop it is truly sad what happened. But if he was an active duty cop would that have changed it? Maybe you would say that the cops shouldn't have guns because they can make a mistake. As much as people here have told me it's long odds I will have an multiple intruders invade my home, I'd say it's just as long odds that someone well trained shoots their own family member on accident.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Both my Father and brother are victims of gun violence... both were botched robbery attempts.

My brother had an all night cashier job working his way through Cal Berkeley... had a rifle pointed about 18" from his face and the triggered pulled... the glass stopped the first bullet and he had time to hit the floor... the second one penetrated but my brother was no longer in the line of fire.

My father, in his 70's was held up at gun point at work with the robber demanding the safe be opened... problem is there is no safe... the robber wouldn't take no for an answer and pulled the trigger... dad was seated and managed to deflect the arm of the robber as dad was grazed in the head... the gun jammed on the second shot and the robber fled. Blood was everywhere.

My brother quit on the spot.

Dad was back at work the next day all bandaged up from the ER.

Both criminals were repeat offenders and convicted felons with no right to possess a gun... the laws didn't stop them.

In Dad's case, it was the third strike and the guy went away for a long time...

I draw the line in saying a person shouldn't be able to defend themselves in their home or place of business.

A lot of my friends are law enforcement of former law enforcement... they always carry... even back in my grade school days, one on the mom's was married to a deputy and she had a loaded revolver in the glove box... she let all of us in the carpool know the glove box was off limits and why...

In a perfect world, no one would need a gun to defend themselves from another person...

Material things can be replaced/insured... the question is what can a person do when someone pulls the trigger... in Dad's case he was lucky and firmly believed he wouldn't be alive if he hadn't deflected the robbers arm and the gun jammed on the second shot...

Until people change... I doubt adding more laws will solve the problem... California has lots of gun laws.

Not to get too far off... my Great Grandfather, a geologist, and was ambushed and killed on the job and my Uncle died in the line of duty... no guns involved with my Uncle.

Several of my neighbors hunt and I know others have guns and I don't view it as a negative.

Those of us without firearms all have dogs...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-16-2013 at 01:53 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Yes, nothing happened so you get to have your brownie points on the score against gun owners. Of course it could have easily gone the other way too. If that happened then a gun advocate would gotten the brownie points. I thought Nullgeo was just curious on why people believed they should own a gun or not based on events happening to them. I just chimed in on why I switched my stance. I see now see Nullgeo was just baiting the other poster to say something where he could might have an opportunity proudly demonstrate how right he is and how morally superior he is above everyone else.

You make inferences that "good, properly trained gun lovers wouldn't ever make a mistake" Now you are just making things up. I don't recall anyone here saying that accidents will never happen.
In the case of the retired cop it is truly sad what happened. But if he was an active duty cop would that have changed it? Maybe you would say that the cops shouldn't have guns because they can make a mistake. As much as people here have told me it's long odds I will have an multiple intruders invade my home, I'd say it's just as long odds that someone well trained shoots their own family member on accident.
You do make assumptions, don't you? Nullgeo doesn't like computers, but he owns three. Nullgeo doesn't like guns, but he owns several (that's more than a couple). Most people own some kinds of things they don't like, because it is part of their world to do so, like it or not. Now you don't know anything about me and guns. And you won't find anyplace where I said I was morally superior to anyone -- nor where I suggested guns should be outlawed.

What I have done is pointed out what happens when guns are present. It is something I know more than a little about 'nuff said. (No, not just the previously written story.)

I am curious as to Ultrarunner's position on guns, because Ultrarunner has previously written that he doesn't own any, never has, and doesn't hunt, etc. Yet it seems as though he disfavors legislation. I did not ask your position because you've been rambling on about it for pages -- quite obvious how you feel.

It IS indeed long odds you will never be a victim of a multiple intruder event. It is far far more likely, however, that, with guns around, you MAY be involved in a tragic event with family or other innocents. Look it up. It is NOT long odds, by comparison.

Here's a takeaway for you: if you are not the sort of person who is capable and comfortable handling situations such as you previously described making you fearful -- then don't engage in those activities ... a gun won't make you suddenly a cool and capable guy. And the defensiveness you have exhibited a number of times in this thread definitely points to someone, in my experience, who is better off not using guns for "equalization".

Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Both my Father and brother are victims of gun violence... both were botched robbery attempts.

My brother had an all night cashier job working his way through Cal Berkeley... had a rifle pointed about 18" from his face and the triggered pulled... the glass stopped the first bullet and he had time to hit the floor... the second one penetrated but my brother was no longer in the line of fire.

My father, in his 70's was held up at gun point at work with the robber demanding the safe be opened... problem is there is no safe... the robber wouldn't take no for an answer and pulled the trigger... dad was seated and managed to deflect the arm of the robber as dad was grazed in the head... the gun jammed on the second shot and the robber fled.

My brother quit and walked off the job.

Dad was back at work the next day...

Both criminals were repeat offenders and convicted felons with no right to possess a gun... the laws didn't stop them.

In Dad's case, it was the third strike and the guy went away for a long time...

I draw the line in saying a person shouldn't be able to defend themselves in their home or place of business.

A lot of my friends are law enforcement of former law enforcement... they always carry... even back in my grade school days, one on the mom's was married to a deputy and she had a loaded revolver in the glove box... she let all of us in the carpool know the glove box was off limits...

In a perfect world, no one would need a gun to defend themselves from another person...

Material things can be replaced/insured... the question is what can a person do when someone pulls the trigger... in Dad's case he was lucky and firmly believed he wouldn't be alive if he hadn't deflected the robbers arm and the gun jammed on the second shot...

Until people change... I doubt adding more laws will solve the problem.

Not to get too far off... my Great Grandfather, a geologist, and was ambushed and killed and my Uncle died in the line of duty... no guns involved.
Thanks for the response.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Apparently state senator Leland Yee has recieved death threats before, but none like this one that stated via email, "if I did not cease efforts to deal with gun violence, that he would assassinate me in or around the Capitol. He stated that he was a trained sniper." Turns out he's also a 45 year old Silicon Valley engineer who was former employed by Apple, Inc and whose name is Everett Basham. Yee said that in the email this man wrote that "he could in fact identify a target two miles away and that you may not know that he is watching you, and he could take you out that way."

Did the whack job have a crimminal history, restraining order or adjudicated mental illness charge?

If not a background check would not have mattered.

Also crimminals will get guns and never put themselves though a background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies