Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What is the fair share of a burger flipper who dies before reaching retirement age?

6.2%. Go look at my link if your confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
I have a considerably larger financial obstacle to getting a license. When I was in hospital for several months, my car received a bunch of tickets (for 'abandoned vehicle') in my driveway because the tags were expired. (I lived in a place that was overzealous in enforcing its codes in rental neighborhoods.)

By the time I got out of the hospital, the tickets had all defaulted plus late fees etc and they claim I owe a large sum of money. So I don't plan on doing any driving for the, oh, indefinite future.
So you know how to drive, but you have tickets that might be warrants right? I owe about $600 to Chicago, but that hasn't stopped me from having a license. I don't know how MI works, but in some states they will give you a license unless you have a felony warrant out and in others they might arrest you for a ticket. Again, you know MI laws I don't. I would definitely look into getting your license back though. Maybe you spend a weekend in jail or maybe there is an indigency program or something.

Quote:
They check credit, right? My credit has been in the tank for the past ten years, and there isn't a thing I can do about it.
I don't think they turn you down for bad credit, but you can call them and ask. WM is just one option though and a better option than fast food.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess if you haven't saved for your retirement you just won't be able to retire. Why should I pay for you to retire at 65 if you were too damn stupid to not save any money?
Because people have spent their entire lives with the expectation of receiving that money and they paid into it. If you want to remove social security then you need to phase it out for young people who still have most of their working lives ahead of them. You can't just pull the rug out from people who are already middle aged.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Because people have spent their entire lives with the expectation of receiving that money and they paid into it. If you want to remove social security then you need to phase it out for young people who still have most of their working lives ahead of them. You can't just pull the rug out from people who are already middle aged.
Well you have to pay into it by law. So that is what we do. I'm not expecting it to be there and neither should anybody else. The government is running it after all. They can't run anything efficiently. Hell all they had to do was leave it alone but no they had to go steal it and stick it into the general fund every year. Many have talked about "phasing it out" with a percentage going to a 401K type account and the like but that is nothing but a death blow at re election time because the other side will scream how you hate old people and on and on it goes. Nobody really cares is what the truth is.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
6.2%. Go look at my link if your confused.

Paying in for decades and getting nothing is a fair share? I guess you conservatives have no standing to complain about taxes then, right?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So you know how to drive, but you have tickets that might be warrants right? I owe about $600 to Chicago, but that hasn't stopped me from having a license. I don't know how MI works, but in some states they will give you a license unless you have a felony warrant out and in others they might arrest you for a ticket. Again, you know MI laws I don't. I would definitely look into getting your license back though. Maybe you spend a weekend in jail or maybe there is an indigency program or something.

In MI, 6 or more unpaid parking tickets suspends your license. Once suspended, you can't get it back until you resolve unpaid tickets plus pay reinstatement fees.

If you apply for a license in a different state, a suspension or revocation in any state blocks your application. About 15 years ago there was a problem with drivers moving to other states to get around suspensions and revocations, and Congress closed that loophole.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Paying in for decades and getting nothing is a fair share? I guess you conservatives have no standing to complain about taxes then, right?
Who said anything about it being fair? Not me. Life isn't fair and paying taxes is part of life in the US. I just don't run around crying about it and expecting others to chip in for me thus raising their burden of fairness like many do.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Too bad so many of you quoted the broken record (freemkt...the only one I have on Ignore) in your posts since he has received more advice than anybody else on C-D and for which he has a poor excuse for every single bit of it.
The Mental Health forum would be a much more appropriate place for him.
However, to tie this in with the op, I think our personal household SS should be at least doubled and think the increase should be only taken out of freemkt's pay check. Then he would really have something to complain about.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
1BR apartments rent fpor $2,000/mo and up? Yeah that'll work. What do people without cars do?

where the heck do you live? for 2k a month, I could rent a 5 bedroom 3 bath home in town. the most expensive abode I rent out is $2500 a month, and they get a 2600 sqft 4/2 home on 12 acres.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
true, instead of increasing, it might be necessary to decrease or increase the age for receiving benefits.
The age level is already been increased for anyone born from 1960 and afterward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies