Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Don't you know? Just about every wing nut on this forum claims to be a self employed billionaire who just so happens to have nothing better to do than to hang out on these forums all day, every day.
Not all of us self employed folks are billionaires.

I'm on C-D sporadically throughout the day. My days run 12-13 hours, so yes, I occasionally find myself with a few free moments. Right now, I'm on hold with a state government agency. The times I have to post are long enough to scan a thread online, but not long enough to do much else, and I can't leave my desk, as the phone might ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If you want to prove your point then provide a truly independent study that indicates some details on the basis of the study. You will need to access research university databases rather than just internet searches.

My point is proven to my satisfaction by the scholastic successes of these children:

Nearly all the kids in this photo are currently being homeschooled in a classical education program.
Classical Education | The Well-Trained Mind

Don't be fooled by their childish shenanigans (which are, by the way, a lot healthier way to spend their time, than sitting in front of a TV or playing video games).

Without exception, they test at least 1 grade level above their publicly schooled peers - in some areas they test several grades above their peers.

They are part of a home school co-op and the parents coordinate field trips, sports, dance, music, and in depth group classes on science, math, language, art, theology, philosophy, Latin, and Spanish regularly (several times a month - some classes are weekly). Several of the parents in the group hold Masters degrees, and all families have at least one parent who is a working professional.

These kids are also obviously very much at ease in a group setting (this is simply a neighborhood party, not a homeschooling get together).

Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I'm not often given to watching reality shows, but I decided to watch that Wife Swap thing on TV in which the wife/mother from each of two families, trade places for a few days or something. This particular show involved one homeschooling family and a traditional family which sends kids to school.

The homeschooling family "taught" the kids by doing nothing, and simply allowing them to "learn" anything they felt like. If they felt like reading comics that day, well fine and good! If they felt like being outside and running around the yard all day, every day, cool! One day's homeschooling consisted of folding paper into paper planes. The homeschooling philosophy for that family was that anything the kids "learned" constituted educational learning they would be able to use in the future.

The wife who favored schools decided to send the homeschooled kids to the local school for testing, to determine if they had learned anything by homeschooling, but the father practically went nuts when that was suggested. He did NOT want the kids tested, and the reason was obvious - the kids were learning next to nothing.

As for memory - while using only memorizing is not positive use of learning time, working memory IS a form of intelligence, and can predict intelligence, and needs to be employed in learning, as it is vital to learning. There can be no learning without the use and employment of the working memory. What's more, I don't know of any school that requires students to simply sit there and memorize without active discussion, exercises, and application of knowledge. Perhaps you know of one.

http://www.psychology.gatech.edu/ren...telligence.pdf
Please. PLEASE do not base your opinion of the average home schooling family on a "reality" TV show.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
home schooling is 3nd rate education. on the other hand k12 are definitely political reeducation camps with very poor academic achievement.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
home schooling is 3nd rate education. on the other hand k12 are definitely political reeducation camps with very poor academic achievement.
My six year old home schooled granddaughter is reading and understanding Latin, as well as already doing multiplication (she's in kindergarten). My ten year old home schooled granddaughter is reading at a college level. My eight year old home schooled granddaughter tests at least two grade levels above her peers on every standardized test she takes.

Proud MiMi will keep you posted.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Wow - where did you learn your amazing writing skills?

Bet you weren't home schooled.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Please. PLEASE do not base your opinion of the average home schooling family on a "reality" TV show.

You have to remember that many "public school advocates" consider shows like Wife Swap to be educational programming.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM

68 posts, read 51,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
New Bill Seeks to Severely Restrict Homeschooling in South Carolina :

Gotta make sure the state is the only one educating students...can't have them learning facts and logic and not propaganda.
I've met home schooled kids - I'm not sure you could say they're learning facts and logic.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Oh, he/she will tell you that they've dealt with a lot of homeschooled kids in their career as an educator. Funny that the anecdote he/she mentions is about an unschooling family, not a homeschooling family, and he/she either doesn't know the difference (despite being an expert on the subject) or is deliberately misrepresenting the facts.

You can't waste your time with those in the education industry who are adamantly against homeschooling. They have a vested interested in making sure that every head possible is in the classroom - each kid equals dollar signs. They don't actually care about the education aspect.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Oh, he/she will tell you that they've dealt with a lot of homeschooled kids in their career as an educator. Funny that the anecdote he/she mentions is about an unschooling family, not a homeschooling family, and he/she either doesn't know the difference (despite being an expert on the subject) or is deliberately misrepresenting the facts.

You can't waste your time with those in the education industry who are adamantly against homeschooling. They have a vested interested in making sure that every head possible is in the classroom - each kid equals dollar signs. They don't actually care about the education aspect.

You are so right! Good observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies