Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
No, but does a cancer surgeon have to have cancer to operate on cancer, or be able to identify it? Or can he merely study what it's like and know how to identify it?
Let's just put it this way - I wouldn't rely on a surgeon if he based his claim to expertise on something he'd watched on a reality TV show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Good. It needs regulating because many "home schooled" children aren't getting educated at all. All this bill does is say home schooled kids have to pass the same standardized tests as kids going to regular schools and if the kid doesn't pass then obviously home schooling isn't working and the child would have to then attend an actual accredited school.
What happens to a kid attending the public schools if they don't pass?

What if the so-called accredited school is a failing school under NCLB?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times
Just an update on this bill... it is currently being tabled by one of the main sponsors of the bill. This is good news for Homeschoolers in SC!

Quote:
Rep. Doug Brannon, R-Spartanburg, was the bill’s primary sponsor. He said he plans to request that the bill remain in subcommittee without a hearing. He said he no longer supports the proposal and doesn’t want to see it become law.
“The problem (with the bill) is too many wonderful home-school families would be impacted to make (the bill) worth passing into law,” he said. “It’s too much of a punishment on everyone who’s doing it right for the relatively small number who aren’t.”
Proposed legislation prompts fierce pushback from home-schoolers across the state – The Post and Courier

Old 02-23-2013, 03:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Finally some logical thought surfaces from government.
That's right..don't punish everyone for a small segment who are not doing it right.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:36 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Just an update on this bill... it is currently being tabled by one of the main sponsors of the bill. This is good news for Homeschoolers in SC!

Proposed legislation prompts fierce pushback from home-schoolers across the state – The Post and Courier
Love that article. The homeschooling teaching-mom featured, doesn't give her kids any tests because she "knows what they need," and one of their learning activities, is digging in the garden.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
one of their learning activities, is digging in the garden.
I bet that is better than that of public school kids, which is digging up their noses instead

When public school systems can obtain the test results and accomplishments of home school children
across this nation, then I will listen to their criticism.

Until then, the public school system should be taking notes and trying to emulate those in the
home school arena - not trying to have it the other way around.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I bet that is better than that of public school kids, which is digging up their noses instead

When public school systems can obtain the test results and accomplishments of home school children
across this nation, then I will listen to their criticism.

Until then, the public school system should be taking notes and trying to emulate those in the
home school arena - not trying to have it the other way around.
OK. I'll let them know to start thinking of implementing digging in dirt and issuing no tests as part of the nation's schools' curricula.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Love that article. The homeschooling teaching-mom featured, doesn't give her kids any tests because she "knows what they need," and one of their learning activities, is digging in the garden.
Hey, in a public school where my kids went before we, thankfully, moved out of district, took the entire second half of the year off of algebra and science to do a garden project. Completely approved by the board too.

They are now in Algebra 2 without a clue on some things due to lack of actually learning algebra.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, we used to only get to do projects if we learned our material quickly and had extra time. Creativity in learning is not always a good thing. Sometimes they just need to be taught the facts straight and not in a round about way.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
OK. I'll let them know to start thinking of implementing digging in dirt and issuing no tests as part of the nation's schools' curricula.
Several states make it a requirement for yearly testing, use of certified teachers
for testing or evaluation of a child's yearly portfolio.

My son was home schooled in latter primary grades through high school and we tested yearly.
But, that was us.

The article posted goes into much deeper concerns of whether one can belong to an
Association and testing done only by employed public school teachers.

The stuff in the SC bill seems to be a disingenuous way for the public school system to put it's thumb on
the home schooling community. A big NO in my book.

The public school system and it's delivery needs scrutiny from within because it is broken.
They don't need any other distractions, like trying to tweak homeschooling.
Which as they say, if it isn't broke,...

Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Wow. By chance were you home schooled? With your inability to follow simple arguments and the constant strawman arguments you create I can't say you come across as educated or informed.
Bwahahaha, strawman arguments...LMAO !
Nope, I was not home schooled ( I could only wish) I had a good ol' public school "un-edumacation". I had to become autodidactic to get where I am today. Sorry, if that pisses you off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies