Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
The budget is a nonbinding wish list that carries no weight. Spending is done through appropriation bills. Shouldn't you already know that?
Killjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
From what I understand, no cabinet nomination has ever been filibustered. But then, the pubs in the senate have set all time records on filibusters over the past four years. They've gone totally psycho and fear the lunatic fringe in their own party, so they feel like the have to oppose any move the president makes.

I hope they do it. I want to see these fools dig themselves in so deep they'll never see daylight again.
Even McCain says they will not filibuster. This doesn't mean his nomination is a sure thing. Friends of ours from Nebraska, who strongly supporter him years ago, can't stand him anymore. He is a turncoat. He has every right to change his political views, but there is a price to pay and he is paying it.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,215 times
You can make Howdy Doody SecDef. Won't make an iota of difference. When the various states and districts begin to feel the cutback heat things will get more interesting.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There was a report this morning that the Republicans are seriously considering the filibuster on the Hagel nomination.

I'm really trying to understand what this is all about, and i don't really believe any of the nonsense i'm hearing from the media on this issue.

What's the beef here? Why are Republicans going so hard at a fellow Republican, and on whose behalf are they doing this on? Saying that it's the Israeli lobby just doesn't make any sense, and i can hardly believe that Republicans are that stupid. They can't possibly want to block a nomination to the SecDef job over opposition to comments about Israel. There has to be something else there because this seems to be getting personal.

And really, what's the endgame? If they successfully block Hagel, then who and what do they want? Do they really believe that Obama is going to take their recommendations on a nominee after they topedo HIS nominee? Because i think Obama is gonna be in a pretty vindictive mood after something like that. Not to mention that the well will be poisoned for any future legislation.

I'm just trying to understand why the Republicans think this is a fight worth having when to me, it looks like the last fight you'd want to have. They've already embarrassed and belittled him at his hearing, and he groveled like a beaten dog. So why dig in some more? What do they gain from it?

Oh well..what say you?
It is the right thing to do, and it is on the behalf of America, and, by extentsion, all freedom-loving people

I think they are looking for a little competency, for a change. This admin is nothing but bozo's and bumbling fools from the top (Obama) down.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American1476 View Post
you listen to Hannity too much Byrd was a good Democrat....very similar to Pat Buchanan a real true conservative ....

what does Israel have to do with America anyway.... I dont care about Israel I care about America... same goes for every other country in the world... all those jews with dual citizenship and Mexicans too need to be deported they are not true citizens by the constitution
I hope you realize dual citizenship is legal, it isn't like Hispanics that are here illegally.You can't very well deport someone who is here legally. Was your family American Indian or did they come from another country? Would you be happier if we had no allies in the mid East?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
This is easy. I will type slow so you can understand.
he sucks
he hates Israel
he things Iran is the good guy.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hope you realize dual citizenship is legal, it isn't like Hispanics that are here illegally.You can't very well deport someone who is here legally. Was your family American Indian or did they come from another country? Would you be happier if we had no allies in the mid East?
My guess: the key phrase in the post you replied to is "true citizens by the constitution".

I couldn't possibly guess what that means precisely in the poster's imagination, but as a formula it usually implies some whacky nutter theory. Invoking "the constitution" is sort of a magical phrase, like hocus-pocus. In this case, as part of a "dispel immigrants" incantation, probably.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
he things Iran is the good guy.
You were typing too quickly?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
From what I understand, no cabinet nomination has ever been filibustered. But then, the pubs in the senate have set all time records on filibusters over the past four years. They've gone totally psycho and fear the lunatic fringe in their own party, so they feel like the have to oppose any move the president makes.

I hope they do it. I want to see these fools dig themselves in so deep they'll never see daylight again.
Yes a filibuster would be historic, filibustering a moderate senator from their own party who also happens to be a Vietnam war hero.... that would be one for the ages.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There was a report this morning that the Republicans are seriously considering the filibuster on the Hagel nomination.

I'm really trying to understand what this is all about, and i don't really believe any of the nonsense i'm hearing from the media on this issue.

What's the beef here? Why are Republicans going so hard at a fellow Republican, and on whose behalf are they doing this on? Saying that it's the Israeli lobby just doesn't make any sense, and i can hardly believe that Republicans are that stupid. They can't possibly want to block a nomination to the SecDef job over opposition to comments about Israel. There has to be something else there because this seems to be getting personal.

And really, what's the endgame? If they successfully block Hagel, then who and what do they want? Do they really believe that Obama is going to take their recommendations on a nominee after they topedo HIS nominee? Because i think Obama is gonna be in a pretty vindictive mood after something like that. Not to mention that the well will be poisoned for any future legislation.

I'm just trying to understand why the Republicans think this is a fight worth having when to me, it looks like the last fight you'd want to have. They've already embarrassed and belittled him at his hearing, and he groveled like a beaten dog. So why dig in some more? What do they gain from it?

Oh well..what say you?
Read the transcripts of watch videos the hearings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies