Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
lots of people these days are getting better jobs than alot of college grads that just have tech school diplomas. such jobs such as masons, plumbers and the like.

When I can hire a doctor or a nurse from India, Haiti, or Kenya and get them a green card so easy, for a 1/4 pay of what a recent US college grad wants, guess what is going to happen.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
lots of people these days are getting better jobs than alot of college grads that just have tech school diplomas. such jobs such as masons, plumbers and the like.
I have a HS diploma.

I've done pretty well for myself.

The difference is that I am self driven and I've always realized that I am responsible for me and mine.

No excuses.

I've changed careers 4 times. One must be flexible.

Government cannot do that for you.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When I can hire a doctor or a nurse from India, Haiti, or Kenya and get them a green card so easy, for a 1/4 pay of what a recent US college grad wants, guess what is going to happen.....
They won't be in practice for long.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
The government has worked very hard to destroy any sense of self worth todays American youth carries. You're a helpless victim and only we can save you. It's been the same way with every oppressive government throughout history. Ruin the childs self esteem, separate them from family values, make them fight for your cause, sterilize them.

It's been a very rense and repeat method of governance through the 20th century and looks to continue through the 21st century as well.
That's only true in your head. Today's youth is better educated than previous generations.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Because we have become a culture that wants to play and not work. Actually, we have become a culture that seems to be insulted by the idea they should have to work.

Its all perpetuated by this idea that we should be happy. All of the time. If we aren't happy then we've somehow been done wrong or made a wrong choice.

Take education. We are taught that to be a good teacher we need to be interesting and engaging. ALL OF THE TIME. Our kids should never be bored. If they are bored and not interested in our lesson then we have failed as a teacher. In my reviews this was the number one thing administrators looked for, engaging and interesting lessons. It was very easy to pander to that. But what have we done for our children by catering to their interests? We've taught them from kindergarten that if it isn't fun and interesting than they don't have to do it. If it isn't something that they find pleasure in than they are completely justified in not doing it.

I told my kids that work is what we do when we stop having fun. While we are having fun its called play. When we stop having fun but finish the project or the homework than we are working. And if you want to be successful in life you have to work.
While that's a nice theory, there is no evidence it's true. We do know that income inequality effects even those with high education who have worked hard in school.

Although those with advanced degrees did better than others:

They don't approach the gains of the top 1%:

Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They won't be in practice for long.

Go to any major hospital, and then get back to me.
My dad recently passed away. In the last 4 months, at 3 different hospitals, I dealt with so many doctors and nurses, that I could not understand when they spoke.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What the young folks don't comprehend yet is that big government costs money and once they start making it they will be giving more of it away. That's when the conservative bits start kicking in.
Maybe they will be more sharing and do not feel the need to keep people down and pile up money while other people struggle.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, being of the independent, Boomer generation myself, it always seems kinda weird whenever I get a 20-something supposed ''adult'' say they can't decide their own house or apt. without first asking the opinion of their buddy, gal-pal, etc.! But then again, I could never imagine ''tweeting'' what I just had for lunch, or ''unfriending'' someone... let alone being an adult and moving back in with my parents again!

Hey, you kids get offa my lawn!!
Funny stuff!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
The "greatest generation" was much like this new generation.

They fell in love with a progressive president who promised grand ideas (from government) and relief from their suffering.

In reality, these grand ideas extended the depression and the great recession by years.

As a result of a "don't let a crisis go to waste" mentality, we are stuck with mandatory HUGE government programs which cause the inflation of the true cost of living by at least 20%.

My mother and father in law are both "roosevelt democrats", who have both been collecting SS for years, and complaining for years about no COLA increases. They fail to see how they have absolutely NO say in what is being done with their money. Yet, they still say "where would we be without SS?"

Millions of elderly who supported the government promises are now living below poverty simply because they were made a promise of being taken care of.

Meanwhile, the recipient class, who never paid a dime into the system, are suckling off of the teat of the productive people who originally funded the program.

When you sign over your rights to the leviathan, you get what you deserve.

Enjoy.
The contention that progressive policies extended the depression is flat out revisionist misinformation. Not only did New Deal policies mitigate the Depression but they grew the middle class and had the middle class make unprecedented economic gains until the Reagan era.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
70 years ago, a high school diploma gave you an advantage.

30 years ago, a college degree gave you an advantage. (prior to government guaranteeing loans, many people could not afford college) This limited the supply of college grads.

Today, you need a Masters degree or any degree in something useful.....you should be able to call yourself a noun...as in "I am an architect, or I am a Dr., or I am an RN....not "I have a degree in ..........." to have an advantage.

Let's face it.....with so many college grads, there is a large pool for employers to choose from, driving down wages.

I wish that these so called "intelligent people" had some sort of understanding about supply and demand.
Because employers are demanding more and if their is a bigger pool to choose from it is easy to cross someone off the list of future hires if they don't meet the education requirements.

Of course you named a number of professions that need degrees to be licensed because their job involves other people's lives. Though there are still a few states where if you work several years in the profession, you don't need a degree to be licensed, but those options are few and far between these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies