Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What level of taxation would force you to leave the U.S.?
N/A, I don't live in the U.S. or left for other reasons 1 3.03%
Already left the U.S. because of taxes 1 3.03%
30-39% 3 9.09%
40-49% 8 24.24%
50-59% 3 9.09%
60% or up 1 3.03%
Don't know 5 15.15%
I'd never leave the U.S., no matter how high my taxes were 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, Canada is totally known for low taxes and eschewing big government.
There is more personal freedom in Canada, and the tax system there is just as easy to exploit legally as it is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
There is more personal freedom in Canada, and the tax system there is just as easy to exploit legally as it is here.
So if you move to Canada and somehow manage to find a way to avoid paying taxes there, would you still avail yourself of Canadian single-payer health care?

Or are you just a taker?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So if you move to Canada and somehow manage to find a way to avoid paying taxes there, would you still avail yourself of Canadian single-payer health care?

Or are you just a taker?
No, I am not a taker. Never have been, never will be. I pay for my health insurance for my entire family to the tune of a little more than $550 a month.

Since I love Vancouver, I would pay my monthly premium just like every other resident of BC does. I believe they just went up to $140 or so for a family.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I said 40-49%, for the sake of conversation (to force me to leave in disgust). However, I would like to know what I would get for that tax rate. Maybe it would not be that bad. In Scandinavian countries, for example, they get a lot of services for their higher rates. Right now, we pay about 15%, but we have a huge deficit, unfunded war debts, crumbling infrastructure, out of control spending on military and agricultural boondoggles, and a looming retirement tsunami, which we are not paying enough for. We are bankrupting the country and shortchanging our kids futures at these artificially low rates. I personally would gladly see my taxes go to 20-25%, if costs would be pared in areas where capacity exceeds need (military), and raised where needed (infrastructure, health care, education, Medicare,SS,etc.). Having expenses and taxes around 20% of GDP has worked for a long time, seems like it could work now, though we may need to go to 25% for a decade or so to cover the aging boomers and unfunded wars. I honestly don't see the need to ever go over 30%.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Since I love Vancouver, I would pay my monthly premium just like every other resident of BC does. I believe they just went up to $140 or so for a family.
Also known as a "tax," since health insurance is mandatory for all B.C. residents. And those premiums don't even come close to covering the entire cost of the health care system; the remainder is made up by other provincial and federal taxes -- which you apparently have no intention of paying.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Trick question. The taxes in nearly all other countries are higher than in the US for those who work..
Do you have a link to support your statement?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Since I refuse to pay taxes and am able to find some wiggle room in regards to the tax code, my only wish to leave is to find more freedom in Canada since the U.S. is and will continue to be a complete joke.
Complete joke? Grow up.

Canada is too cold for humans.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
(Sorry if this is a repeated topic.)

With all this talk about high taxes, what level of total taxation (as opposed to the marginal top rate) would force you to abandon the U.S. and move yourself and your assets to a foreign country?
If benefits are coming with higher taxation such as universal health care, killing both poverty and homelessness, millions of new high paying jobs, lower cost of products, and etc then I can deal with about 50%. I probably would never abandon my citizenship though regardless of the taxation issue, unless I can become a German citizen which is my dream country to live in.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
There is more personal freedom in Canada
Apparently you've never heard of the CRTC, which requires radio stations to play a certain percentage of Canadian music.

Or the Office de la Langue Française, which strictly regulates signage in Québec and levies fines and criminal penalties for signage on which French is not prominent enough.

Or the Canadian Human Rights Act, which forbids the posting of hateful messages on the Internet.

Or the liquor laws in B.C., according to which a single "drink" may absolutely not contain more than the equivalent of 0.6 ounces of 100% alcohol.

Or the fact that the highest speed limit anywhere in the country is 110 km/h (68 mph). In some parts of the U.S. you can legally drive 85 mph. In Ontario, if you're caught driving over 150 km/h (93 mph) your car is impounded for a week and you might be jailed for 6 months.

Or the fact that every province and territory requires motorcyclists to wear helmets.

Or the fact that in B.C., your yearly car registration fee (which includes insurance) is based on the number of kilometres you drive in B.C. and outside the province, so you have to report all this to the government.

Last edited by pch1013; 02-13-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Apparently you've never heard of the CRTC, which requires radio stations to play a certain percentage of Canadian music.

Or the Office de la Langue Française, which strictly regulates signage in Québec and levies fines and criminal penalties for signage on which French is not prominent enough.

Or the Canadian Human Rights Act, which forbids the posting of hateful messages on the Internet.

Or the liquor laws in B.C., according to which a single "drink" may absolutely not contain more than the equivalent of 0.6 ounces of 100% alcohol.

Or the fact that the highest speed limit anywhere in the country is 110 km/h (68 mph). In some parts of the U.S. you can legally drive 85 mph. In Ontario, if you're caught driving over 150 km/h (93 mph) your car is impounded for a week and you might be jailed for 6 months.

Or the fact that every province and territory requires motorcyclists to wear helmets.

Or the fact that in B.C., your yearly car registration fee (which includes insurance) is based on the number of kilometres you drive in B.C. and outside the province, so you have to report all this to the government.
Boo hoo hoo... I was raised in a very strict, Christian, household... The speed limit in MOST of the US is around 65mph, In several places its 70mph, in a few 75 in a very, very few, more than that... what's your point? The french thing only affects parts of Canada AFAIK, really, I think I could come up with far better examples of Canada's totalitarian regime if I knew more about the place. As it stands, I could definitely get behind a migration to Germany or The Netherlands. Again, AFAIK, Europeans pay income taxes and some pay VAT. In America you pay taxes you don't even know about. When you add up all the taxes you pay for Internet, Cell phone, Cable, hotel rooms, rental cars, vehicle titles, vehicle inspections, etc. etc. I am certain many American's are paying European levels of taxation for the luxury of having no financial or job security whatsoever. No one is talking about all the (formerly) middle class women that are now stripping or turning tricks to support their families. No one is talking about all the (formerly) middle class American's working in box stores or fast food. Americans still think they have it good here. Americans don't talk to one another about how bad it is. They dress up and pretend that they still have jobs... ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies