Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,150,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The first four require no explanation. The other four, I explained and you wish to quibble over the word invasions. I decline to argue that point; you can select another word if you like, and give me 8 examples of North Korea doing the same thing since 1953.
You are quibbling over the word. Because what almost everyone in the world thinks when we say "invade" is for a country to cross a border with armed forces in a non-defense action. Germany invading Poland is nothing like Israel hunting for a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Israel invaded Argentina to get Eichmann. That was what I said. Are you disputing this, and if so, on what grounds?
Argentina accused Israel of a violation of its laws. It did not accuse Israel of an invasion.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,470,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are quibbling over the word. Because what almost everyone in the world thinks when we say "invade" is for a country to cross a border with armed forces in a non-defense action. Germany invading Poland is nothing like Israel hunting for a killer.
"Hunting for a [retired fugitive] killer" is a non-defense action. (That's to leave entirely aside the fact that every belligerent leader and their subordinates in WW2 were killers, and assume Eichmann was the only killer outstanding in 1960.)

Last edited by djacques; 02-13-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM

78,270 posts, read 60,492,074 times
Quote:
That's one definition of "invade", not the only one. Invade | Define Invade at Dictionary.com

Four are obvious, of course, but Tunisia (1988), Uganda (1976), Argentina (1960) and Iraq (1981) have also all had their territories invaded by Israeli forces, and those were just those I could name off the top of my head.
Using your definition of invade, NK had invaded Japan and South Korea since 1953 and thus you are for some reason applying a different standard of the word to the countries or are unaware of NK's actions over the years. Which is it?

Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The first four require no explanation. The other four, I explained and you wish to quibble over the word invasions. I decline to argue that point; you can select another word if you like, and give me 8 examples of North Korea doing the same thing since 1953.
You claimed zero. Here are two. Click on the link for dozens more like when they kidnapped dozens of Japanese over the years including a famous filmaker.

Quote:
-January 17, 1968: In an incident known as the Blue House Raid, a 31-man detachment from the Korean People's Army secretly crosses the DMZ on a mission to kill South Korean President Park Chung-hee on January 21, nearly succeeding. The incursion was discovered after South Korean civilians confronted the North Koreans and informed the authorities. After entering Seoul disguised as South Korean soldiers, the North Koreans attempt to enter the Blue House (the official residence of the President of South Korea). The North Koreans are confronted by South Korean police and a firefight ensued. The North Koreans fled Seoul and individually attempted to cross the DMZ back to North Korea. Of the original group of 31 North Koreans, 28 were killed, one was captured, and two are unaccounted for. Additionally, 68 South Koreans were killed and 66 were wounded, the majority of whom were soldiers and police officers. Three American soldiers were also killed and three were wounded.
Quote:
October 30, 1968: From October 30 to November 2, 120 to 130 North Korean commandos land on the northeast shore of South Korea, allegedly to establish a base in order to wage a guerrilla war against the South Korean government. A total of 110 to 113 were killed, seven were captured, and 13 escaped. Around 20 South Korean civilians, law enforcement officers, and soldiers were killed
List of border incidents involving North Korea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
NK killed almost none US citizen after 1953 Armistice treaty
.....ignorance is bliss. NK has killed hundreds of US citizens since 1953. Let me guess....Iranian?

List of border incidents involving North Korea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,405,650 times
Israel had the nucs before nuclear proliferation was a the buzz. It's why we don't talk about Pakistan as well - other than "what if those crazy bastards/extremists get ahold of one of them.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,470,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You claimed zero. Here are two. Click on the link for dozens more like when they kidnapped dozens of Japanese over the years including a famous filmaker.
I accept the correction. Israel is ahead only by 8-2.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
By your definition, every incursion across a border for almost any purpose other than tourism is an invasion.

China and Russia probably have hundreds of spies in the US right now, stealing secrets. Did they invade us?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Here are dozens more....

North Korean abductions of Japanese citizens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the director and wife that Kim Il Jong had kidnapped and held for years.

Shin Sang-ok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that many of the kidnappings occurred in european countries and not just Japan and the far east. They've snatched people from a dozen countries or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies