Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

I didnt even realize minimum wage is what it is now, I have been on salary for so long. I remember in the 90's $3.75 was the minimum but now its $7.25

I look up various states
Washington has the highest $9.19
Oregon $8.95
Vermont $8.60
Illinois and Nevada at $8.25 Few are $8.00 and rest are somewhere between 8 and the minimum.

Here a site gives state by state in case any one wants to look. Minimum Wage Laws in the States - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

My first thought when I heard this there goes full time employees.
I wonder how stock ,arket will react to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you weren't overpaid then my brother wouldn't be sending computer engineering jobs to India, Russia, and Ukraine. He can get people with a superior skillset to do your work for a lower cost. They can and will do the work for less than an American will. Did you ever wonder why tech support is answered by someone with a heavy Indian accent?
Once again: do you suppose that if we were to cut the minimum wage to $1.00, the cost of everything people need to survive (housing, food, transportation, health care, etc.) would magically fall to levels that someone earning $40 a week could afford?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Of course!

If that really is the case then why do states with a higher minimum wage show none of the effects you claim? Why wouldn't employers immediately move one state over or wherever minimum wage is lowest? If anything unemployment is no different or actually lower in states with higher minimum wages then lower ones. This is just one more myth for the conservatives to constantly spout off.
This is simply not true.

Top Ten highest wage states and whether they are above or below the US median unemployment rate:

Washington - 7.6 - national average
Oregon - 8.4 - higher than national average
Vermont - 5.1 - below national average
Nevada - 10.2 - ranked #2 out of 50 states for the dubious honor of HIGHEST UNEMPLOYMENT RATE
Illinois - 8.7 - FAR above the national average, ranked #7
Connecticut - 8.6 - ranked #10
Massachusetts - 6.7 - below national average
California - 9.8 - ranked #3
Ohio - 6.7 below national average

So - out of the ten states paying the highest minimum wages, only 3 ranked BELOW the national unemployment rate (and two of those three only slightly), and SIX ranked ABOVE the national unemployment rate, with three of those in the top ten states with the highest unemployment rates!

And two of those three were ranked #2 and #3 for the WORST UNEMPLOYMENT RATES IN OUR NATION.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum..._United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mployment_rate

NOW - DRUMROLL PLEASE:

Out of the ten states with the LOWEST minimum wage, all but ONE of them are below the national unemployment rate. FOUR of the ten are in the Top Ten when it comes to states with the highest EMPLOYMENT rates.

Whoduthunkit to hear our illustrious President's speech tonight?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you weren't overpaid then my brother wouldn't be sending computer engineering jobs to India, Russia, and Ukraine. He can get people with a superior skillset to do your work for a lower cost. They can and will do the work for less than an American will. Did you ever wonder why tech support is answered by someone with a heavy Indian accent?
They aren't overpaid. Their wages are justified in that the cost of living in the US is higher than elsewhere due to our high standard of living.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM

491 posts, read 748,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedin08 View Post
Great because everything else is going up.
Because min wage I would like to see evidence about that since min wage has not gone up barely at all many places yet costs keep rising.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Kathryn, I have no idea what he meant by that. But since everybody stood up about 10 times I don't really care right now. Ha!
Me either!

DUCK DUCK GOOSE - errr, Grey Goose, that is.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
What made me nervous is when he claimed the war was over those military men were not standing and they were not smiling......I was very uncomfortable there.
They know they are going to be standing in the unemployment line pretty soon - and the country they just left will revert back to the rock strewn hell hole it's been for two thousand years.

And all those American men and women who have been maimed and killed there will have suffered for nothing - absolutely nothing.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Once again: do you suppose that if we were to cut the minimum wage to $1.00, the cost of everything people need to survive (housing, food, transportation, health care, etc.) would magically fall to levels that someone earning $40 a week could afford?
Markets don't care f someone can afford $1/hr or not, if you are worth $9/hr that's what you will get but if you are only worth $1/hr you get nothing. You can't force a company to pay someone more than they are worth, but you can dictate a price floor and force someone not to hire an employe they might otherwise hire.

Let me introduce you to the invisible hand and the law of supply and demand

Who are you to tell someone that they cannot have a job just because they are not worth the price floor you have set?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM

No one has an inherent right to a job.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
They aren't overpaid. Their wages are justified in that the cost of living in the US is higher than elsewhere due to our high standard of living.
They are overpaid for the value they provide. Why should any business hire an American engineer that provides less service than a Russian engineer and pay more for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies