Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 04:50 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The fact is that most corporations in this country are tripping over themselves to hire blacks because if they don't they open themselves up to lawsuits and bad press (SNL is a recent high profile example).

The idea that there is a silent army of highly qualified, high educated blacks who can't get hired due to racism in 2014 is utterly ridiculous.
re: SNL
I guess you never heard of a casting call before? they're the ones who highlighted the issue with the skit with Kerri Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 04:52 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Guess you missed the part when I wrote "bad press".

Do you think that SNL not having black actresses is a good thing? Do you think that it was bad for the media to draw attention to this?

Guess you didn't hear when some black males sued over the fact that only white males were hired on the Bachelor show, they hired a WHITE Hispanic.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:52 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Really. Can you furnish proof of that, because it has already been established that black men with college degrees earn what a white man with no more than high school gets. Also 40% of the long term unemployed are black, many of them being professionals.

And yes there is a silent army of black professionals who have to find jobs where ever they can. Host a job fair tomorrow and I guarantee you that professional blacks will be OVER represented.
Meanwhile...that Korean-American family will go to MIT this spring to watch one of their own graduate.

Too bad they didn't spend their time whining and instead spent it studying and working hard.

(Yeah...I know...they aren't "victims" of racism like the African-Americans )

Old 01-12-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The above quoted is a perfect example of a very popular belief in the U.S.

The belief that:

Funny how South Asians in America are too busy succeeding in America to constantly complain that they aren't treated fairly.

Funny that 80% of them voted for the Democrats because they detect too much racism from people who support the GOP. Not to far behind blacks, you will note.

And then you don't factor that the majority of them were educated OUTSIDE of the USA, or their parents were. And aside from Nigerians this is the most highly educated immigrant group.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Do you think that SNL not having black actresses is a good thing? Do you think that it was bad for the media to draw attention to this?

Guess you didn't hear when some black males sued over the fact that only white males were hired on the Bachelor show, they hired a WHITE Hispanic.
Frankly, I am shocked that with the teen murder rate skyrocketing in the black community filling a quota on some stupid TV show is the priority.

I could see if it were a TV show about science or some other aspirational subject for young black people but a comedy sketch show and a so-called reality show?

Really?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Funny that 80% of them voted for the Democrats because they detect too much racism from people who support the GOP. Not to far behind blacks, you will note.

And then you don't factor that the majority of them were educated OUTSIDE of the USA, or their parents were. And aside from Nigerians this is the most highly educated immigrant group.
If the black community wants to continue to spin its wheels with the democratic party then who am I to get in the way?

Maybe if African-Americans started their own political party that addressed issues like the murder rate and absent fathers then something could finally get done.

I say that neither major political party has the magic potion to fix the black community.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
re: SNL
I guess you never heard of a casting call before? they're the ones who highlighted the issue with the skit with Kerri Washington.
So Lorne Michaels is an abject racist?

Start your OWN comedy sketch show with ONLY African-American talent and teach the guy a lesson then.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile...that Korean-American family will go to MIT this spring to watch one of their own graduate.

Too bad they didn't spend their time whining and instead spent it studying and working hard.

(Yeah...I know...they aren't "victims" of racism like the African-Americans )

And you my not know this, but having graduated with top honors many Asians are having a tough time succeeding in corporate America in management positions. Stuck as the techies.

Asians in America: Excelling in Academics, Failing To Get Ahead in Leadership - Forbes

Don't be fooled by their silence into thinking that they don't have issues. The are culturally attuned to not complain loudly (those with recent immigrant roots), but that doesn't mean that there aren't hurts.

Indeed there is even the stock comedic situation seen in some films where an Asian American who knows no Asian languages is FINALLY put into top management in Asia, away from corporate head quarters of course where his white peers will be more easily be able to jockey for promotion.

And I deliberately picked a source that you can't scream is PC.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Corporations actively seek potential employees of ALL races by going to college campuses.

In fact many corporations only hire from Ivy Leagues for their upper tier career paths. If you think that Goldman Sachs serious recruits at HBCUs you are delusional. A focus on Ivy Leagues ensures that whites from more affluent backgrounds get a better shot at this upper tier jobs, because this group (and Asians) are over represented at these schools.

Asians are over represented in technical fields because that is their focus. Americans of all groups shun technical degrees, maybe because many have an issue with math, and the hard sciences.

The best recruiting tool remains referrals and those who know upper level management have a better shot at these jobs. Most in upper level management are whites, usually male.

You are either dishonest or are under exposed.
...or I'm absolutely correct:

100 Internships HBCU Students Should Explore

Old 01-12-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
And you my not know this, but having graduated with top honors many Asians are having a tough time succeeding in corporate America in management positions. Stuck as the techies.

Asians in America: Excelling in Academics, Failing To Get Ahead in Leadership - Forbes

Don't be fooled by their silence into thinking that they don't have issues. The are culturally attuned to not complain loudly (those with recent immigrant roots), but that doesn't mean that there aren't hurts.
No one has presented data to corroborate this.

Sounds like a myth to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies